St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

Trying to figure out if Thornliewood have two different teams. The one that played Petershill on Wednesday night and the one that played the Candy on Saturday. I feared for the Candy and yet St Roch's walked away winning 4-0. Fair play to the lads.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"When you’re not with me

I can’t help but smile

Thinking about how it’ll be

When we meet again"

Fitbaw wiz back. Having spent a busy summer of Football work travelling up and down the country and speaking to some Fantastic people and watching some Fantastic players play some Fantastic Football and myself having Fantastic Fun in the sun, it was Fantatsic to be a Fan again and oh how my heart missed the Candy Crush of expectation and early season promise that only us Football Fans feel. No more pre season warm up games against teams you'll never see again, a loss being greeted by dismissive shakes of the head and "pre season means nothing, it's just about fitness at this stage" and a win is enthusiastically welcomed and sets the mind machine marching towards Scottish cup glory and a league triumph as "the lads are really knitting well and looking strong this season" IF you can treat both those imposters the same then yours will be sanity my son. With only 20 minutes pre season game time under the belt I pitch up at JMcG having decided to put Big Boys football work to the side for the day and visit my other love as she played her first competitive game. A new fans' initiative gained a Kinky new member as I joined the Candy 1920 Brake Club and paid my dues 4 weeks in advance, guaranteeing a seat on the supporters bus that will go to "Every away game big man". As I hand over the £20 I am then told "but obviously no the likes ay Petershill and Perthshire and stuff"!! A fool and his money..... I board and take my Seat-for-a-Score and we depart with a few die hard merry souls in search of Football... so long missing during these Sad Summer months, endless Shitty Saturdays Shuffling and Sulking and Shaking.. just waiting for today when it all starts again. The driver overshoots the cut off at the ground and pulls up round the corner, a convenient wee shop at the end of the street and the lads stock up. We move to their club house and being the charitable funds sharing guy I am I venture in to buy a Diet Coke and show face. £1.30... a fool and his money. One man and the barman are in there (25 mins till KO) and all bar one of our bus walk out, the atmosphere standing in the car park a better option. No TV's, only the bar lights on and the cavernous room barren, stark and cold to the touch. A sorry sign of what is to come from Thorney Wid. When I think of the busy and bustling and brimming with football talk clubhouses of other junior clubs this was the worst by far. 4 old boys came in about 5 mins later then I left. I don't like crowds.......

We played at ThorneyWid last season and they provided us with a worthy challenge, we nicked 2 late on for a vital win but things were somewhat different yesterday. The Candy Cruise Control button was pressed early and we maintained a steady speed and knocked them over. To be fair to Thorney Wid we did pass and move and play well at times and it was clear we had better players and they in turn, for the most part, played well themselves. TW were not just short in stature but short on quality and it was a mystery how they beat anyone mid week. Their cause wasn't helped when an old Fauldhouse player got a straight red for a shocking tackle when they were already 2 zip after 25 mins. Nothing surprises me in football and this wasn't a shock as I know the lad and have seen it before. He is a fully committed player but fair, he let himself down though trying to square up and have another go after getting the red. I know he'll know. After that TW never had a chance, not that I thought they did before that, the Candy Cantered to the finish in 2nd gear, another great 5 a side passing move 3rd and a well worked 2nd half 4th. It was no more than we deserved for a decent first competitive game start to the season. There was the promise of more from some and the confirmation of my opinions about others. It is difficult to gauge how good we were as they were poor bar the wee baldy 10 and the "Guess who?"-does-he-have-a-beard? character number 9. It is always easy to be analytically critical and I know I am. It isn't for any reason other than my desire for the lads to be everything they can be. I still get frustrated when people do stupid stuff, apoplectic and infuriated when I see non triers and frustrated at bad decisions. I understand what I am watching however and know the different standards that different levels have. I factor that in and take the Candy for what it is. Overall I was suitably impressed. Our new signings seemed to be on form (Rumour is that Gerry Febers donated the price of one of my rounds at his boozer last Saturday to club funds and we bought a quality left back!! A fool and their money..[emoji30]£££[emoji31]) and the bench looked very strong. The good vibe signs were cemented as Berto Blasted some Shoddy passing late on, a team and a player is nothing without high standards. Well done son. And well done to the lad on the end of it who took it well in the manner it was intended. We all need to be on it and at each other. A team that shouts together is a team that fights together is a team that wins together. [emoji122][emoji122]

Back on the Brake and having been asked "Whit are you going to write about Kinky? How do you think of all that stuff?" My mind is already whirling. I've enjoyed being back on the sidelines listening to the banter and chatting Football with my Candy Fan Colleagues. It's not the Backstreet Boys but the Back ay the Bus Backseat Boys and I'm Back with the Black Hill Boys who in turn are Back in the Back with the Buckie. There is a Familiarity about Football. There is a Family in Football. Like all Families there are different components, the quiet ones, the thinkers, the loud ones, the ones that like a drink and a sing song and with their hearts in the right place, are given a bit of rope as they are one of our own. You pays your money and you takes your choice. £20 bus, £1.30 Diet Coke, £5 in..... £26.30. A fool and his money... this fool thought it was worth every penny.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

We will be next on the road for Greenock away .
Was delighted with the bus running its maiden journey yesterday of course the way the fixtures have fallen means it's gonna be a bit stop start at first but once we get into a run of fixtures then it will come into its own
Thanks to everyone who has supported this initiative as this helps create a bond between the supporters and ensures we have the means to get as many folk as possible to away games to back the team

Anyone wishing to become a member then just catch up with me at shettleston or at JMP on Saturday.

At the moment we are still taking non members but due to rising costs then the size of bus being hired will have to be relevant to our membership size so it would be in your best interest to join as a member while we follow the club away in the quest for league and cup success

Big game tonight i think. As has been seen in results all round the shop, teams use the league cup for settling a team and trying out things, so sometimes a result isnt all that it seems.

What with Shettleston having a unsettled pre season themselves, they might be the best case of the above. Thorniewood pump Petershil, we pump Thorniewood, Petershill pump Shettleston...so going by that logic, we shoul;d get pumped from Shettleston.:unsure:

I don't know if the manager will rotate things, i think he will...but right attitudes should take us far in this group section. Keepers saving, Defenders clearing, Midfielders creating and forwards scoring...that kinda thing.

The pre season has brought a certain freshness to the club...here's hope it continues for a good wee while yet.

Mon the Candy

5-0 away win at Shettleston and a missed penalty. How many other chances missed, maybe 10? Although the biggest cheer would have been the Shettleston's forward miss kick that nearly went through that poor sod's windae in the new hooses behind the goal. Good night all in.

So here's to the North Glasgow derby on Saturday.

9 hours ago, Glenconner said:

5-0 away win at Shettleston and a missed penalty. How many other chances missed, maybe 10? Although the biggest cheer would have been the Shettleston's forward miss kick that nearly went through that poor sod's windae in the new hooses behind the goal. Good night all in.

So here's to the North Glasgow derby on Saturday.

Despite Petershill up and down results, you have to imagine they will be really up for the game on Saturday. Should the rain remain off, it could be a bumper crowd for a really good game.

The rotation around the squad worked last night, be interesting to see how he goes on Saturday now. Especially with Daw now available from suspension and Steven Logan making his long awaited comeback... i can see wholesale changes again, however, maybe hinting at the managers long term favourite XI. I love the idea of a player in form keeping the jersey...not always practical tbh, but if the lads keep the right squad mentality...it should be good for the fans at the very least.

I have been very fortunate in my football life and I have seen many things. I have spoken to many people and saw many players and clubs from close up and sometimes from inside. My opinions are based on a lifetime of football and a tuned and seasoned (and at times inflated!) gut which sends a signal to the brain and Voila.. the mind is made up. You get one chance to make a first impression and whilst that is generally what sticks, it can be turned by performance, attitude, improvement or deterioration. You get a feeling about football, what's happening? How does someone move, act, talk, and ultimately play. There is more to being a good player than being able to play good. A lot of Voila moments last night and some of them were good....

The Candy could and perhaps should have notched 10 last night against a team of white shirts waving the white flags. Some of them chucked it no doubt and I fear for their manager and staff. I spoke to an amateur team manager earlier this week who has just finished his intensive pre season. Arthur's seat, Linlithgow Loch and Ayr Beach training sessions for team bonding. Plenty of games and wins and getting his formation and shape right. If he gets beaten it is not because of anything he has done and credit to him. If his players give it their all then there is nothing you can do if a better team beats you. But.... if you throw the towel in or take your white shirt off and wave it above your head??? Enough of them though....

There was a different feel about the Candy last night and I liked it. At the end of last season I had a feeling that perhaps we had missed our best chance of going up but last night the whole team and club seemed to have been raised a level. The performance was more vibrant and energetic and at times composed. We looked dangerous in attack and solid at the back. Man for man it looked to me like we were carrying no one and they all had ability and were on their game. We had a strong bench, not just talented subs but somehow the management team looked solid and well balanced as well. I think there was 6 in the back room team on the bench. I know some people think football is just about results and what happens on the pitch and I accept for some that will always be the case. If however, you understand the benefits of a club making improvements and developing its structure then that to me is evident and I applaud them all for that. We have staff that care about the players welfare and want to help, putting an arm around them when needs be and leaving out others and dropping some to the bench if required. Perhaps it was going back to Shettleston where I got promotion in 91-92 season I think. Perhaps it was the bright sunlight summer sunshine luminating the fluorescent green management shirts, perhaps it was all the Candy fans gathered into such a small space and creating a great atmosphere, smiling laughing and joking as the players stoked up our fanaticism. Some great shouts last night as the poor youthful linesman was barraged with "Huv you hud yer hole yit wee man?" And their unfortunate poor play was punctuated by "you couldnae pass a parcel ya useless p***k" and "haw you ya ugly fat bstd". The lad in question had grown belly wise since I saw him sat season and it was probably the only bit of guts on show from the White Feathers. They were poor but we played well and the overriding feeing I got was that St Roch's were a level above and far far better all over the pitch and in the dug out and on the terracing than my old team 'Ton. I am under no illusions though and whilst some fans got carried away after in the clubhouse, it is a long season and if form is temporary, class is a description which is earned over a period of time. Can our Tricky-Hat-Trick hero keep it going? (Well played son) Can our Clean Sheet Defenders keep it going? Can we continue to boss games and dominate? There is a change in the air from last season. It was a good night at the office.

It was my old man's first Candy game of the season and he enjoyed it, he sat under the shed with a coffee or 2, in the shade. I walked over to him at one point and saw a wee mouse dart up the terracing and under the last step. A Wee, sleekit, cow’rin, tim’rous Shettleston beastie. There was no panic in my breastie, it was a different feeing. I think my wee boy is starting to grow up.

I'll miss Saturday's game as I'm away with work but Twitter is my shepherd, I shall not want. I hope we can keep it going and cement our 4-0 win against Peasie last season. All the best lads, you most certainly have it in you.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

15c19a6f04643d8e83be325e7c01ea1e.jpg81b7ef97f785c0f6de9192fe10f5d796.jpg

Must be the Candy's best chance of coming out the group stage in years. Two away wins has us on 6 points, Shettleston are out of it, Petershill best total would be 7 points only if they beat the Candy. That leaves Bellshill and Thornliewood still in it along with us. 

On 6 August 2017 at 14:09, Graffiti on the wall said:

We will be next on the road for Greenock away .

Gotw, do me a favour, could you check the SJFA site.

Seems there's some confusion regarding fixtures. Sure our first league game was away at Perthshire. Now it's showing up as Neilston!!!

Must be the Candy's best chance of coming out the group stage in years. Two away wins has us on 6 points, Shettleston are out of it, Petershill best total would be 7 points only if they beat the Candy. That leaves Bellshill and Thornliewood still in it along with us. 

Don't know what sort of team we'll be able to field today, we already had two defenders injured before Wednesday's match at Bellshill, then lost another two to bad tackles, one of which was a shocker that saw the Bellshill player given a straight red. If neither of them make it today then that leaves us very short at the back.

We missed a penalty and a sitter late on during Wednesday's match which would have put a different slant on today's match, but the Roch are very much favourites now to qualify.

went up for my first visit to JMP today and loved it. 

Really healthy crowd including a certain Bertie Auld who was very vocal throughout. Bertie's presence on it's own made my day, but the game and the general experience were great as well. St Roch were obviously disappointed to lose but that was a cracking turn out for them. I take it Celtic playing the previous night had something to do with that?

Nice to see folk having a few cans/ bottles and enjoying a game on a nice-ish day. I didn't partake myself but on another visit I'll probably have a couple. 

Will defo be back up for a Candy game at some point. 

Neilston game has now been cancelled as it's there free weekend and there players have made other arrangements
I also heard that Perthshire game was called off because there main committee man or something that deals with the paperwork has went on holiday so there will be no league game for st rochs neilston or Glasgow Perthshire next weekend which imo is an utter shambles

Club tweeted that GP asked for cancellation due to lack of players and sjfa have accompanied that request
Seems nobody bothered to tell neilston they now had a game as they rightfully said no our players have made other arrangements made since when fixtures released it was there free weekend.
So f**k knows piss up in a brewery springs to mind glenconner [emoji106]

The lack of information was staggering I only found out from john sweeney who kindly tagged me in a tweet and said hold off hiring a bus for Saturday but we had already hired one on Saturday morning when we were told of the fixture change
I then had to spend half the night trying to find out what was happening despite sitting in a restaurant supposedly celebrating the Mrs birthday.

Archived