St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team List 2017-2018

(signed players, players with -, squad number still to be assigned)

Goalkeepers

1. John Stark

- Christoper Treacy

Defenders

4. Johnny Carter

5. Stephen Bryson

- Paul Tierney

- Robert Halliday

- Ross Dickson

Midfielders

8. Keiran Daw

10. Kieran Martin

20. Steven Logan

23. Ryan Jack

- Darryl Naismith

- Ryan Craig

Forwards

7. Jordan Logan

16. Baboucarr Musa

88. T.J. McCluskey

- Darren Maguire

Still a few who have yet to decide or speak to the manager.

Players Out

Przemyslaw Dachnowicz : Annan Athletic - End of Loan

Scott Burns : Stirling Albion - End of Loan

Declan Docherty : released - End of Contract

John Sweeney : Kilbirnie Ladeside - End of Contract

Robert Maguire : Kirkintilloch Rob Roy - End of Contract

Martin Shiels : Cumbernauld United - End of Contract

Jason McCormick : Harestanes Amateurs - End of Contract

James McKnight : Blochairn Star Amateurs - End of Contract

Paul Roan : released - End of Contract

Chris McFadyen : released - End of Contract

5 hours ago, ScottMcCorry said:

Players Out

Przemyslaw Dachnowicz : Annan Athletic - End of Loan

Scott Burns : Stirling Albion - End of Loan

Declan Docherty : released - End of Contract

John Sweeney : Kilbirnie Ladeside - End of Contract

Robert Maguire : Kirkintilloch Rob Roy - End of Contract

Martin Shiels : Cumbernauld United - End of Contract

Jason McCormick : Harestanes Amateurs - End of Contract

James McKnight : Blochairn Star Amateurs - End of Contract

Paul Roan : released - End of Contract

Chris McFadyen : released - End of Contract

The squad a bit weaker or stronger in your opinion??

1 minute ago, Onceaplayer said:

The squad a bit weaker or stronger in your opinion??

I honestly don't know. You would guess, that when you lose Sweeney, Maguire and Shiels from any midfield then yeah, you have weakened the squad.

I think the defence look better all round tbh.

Midfield. I look at Steven Logan having a full pre-season with us and i think you have a real player there. I do believe that Kieran Daw suffered from being played wider, an again, with a proper pre-season, added with the incentive that he can play more centrally this season, we could be onto a winner.

You lose someone of Sweeneys pedigree, then you can worry..but Maguire (who i rated extremely highly) was a player who rose from amateur football and someone who excelled with better players around him...who's to say their replacements wont do the same. Ryan Craig scoring 13 in a struggling Greenock side gives hope for optimism too.

Forwards - We haven't lost any and added 2. If T.J. plays to the standard i know he can (bearing in mind we signed him from Albion Rovers) then amazing.

I think a bit of freshness is welcomed. It did get stale in places. Add in, i think that Gary Johnstone will invigorate Gary Flint and the coaching side, whilst Stevie Rankin will keep the manager and the squad on their toes. The thing we need to remember is that we, collectively as a club, failed last season. We aimed for promotion and the league title...so new ideas are needed I suppose.

I do think we're looking in decent nick. A real tough start in the league vs Perthshire away that said.

I'm looking forward to the games starting.

Our failure last season was the run in when out of the last eight games we managed two wins and the other six games gave us a grand total of four points. Four of the run in matches were against Larkhall Thistle and Wishaw which saw us take two points out of a possible twelve. 

7 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Our failure last season was the run in when out of the last eight games we managed two wins and the other six games gave us a grand total of four points. Four of the run in matches were against Larkhall Thistle and Wishaw which saw us take two points out of a possible twelve. 

Indeed, something went wrong there. Fitness, mentality, something...as i still believe we were a better team than Larkhall, but alas the table doesn't lie.

Tbf, it's a building process after decades of neglect. Highlights of last season were 

1, Staying up after getting promoted for the first time in nearly 40 years.

2, Beating our local rivals for the first time in quarter of a century 

3, Beating the league winners home and away.

4, Being in the promotion race till game 25.

5, Getting to a quarter final against Pollok in the West of Scotland cup.

6, Beating KRR and RG away in the Central Cup.

7, Best defense in the league which is something from three/four seasons ago and the 9 and 10 goals passed us in games. One of the Gaffer's first games in charge was a 10-2 defeat. So a massive turnaround on that front. There's a difference between getting well beat and laughed out the place.

8, Off the park, getting the biggest crowd through the door for a home league game since nineteen canteen.

Tbf, it's a building process after decades of neglect. Highlights of last season were 
7, Best defense in the league which is something from three/four seasons ago and the 9 and 10 goals passed us in games. One of the Gaffer's first games in charge was a 10-2 defeat. So a massive turnaround on that front. There's a difference between getting well beat and laughed out the place.
8, Off the park, getting the biggest crowd through the door for a home league game since nineteen canteen.

Tremendous post.

I didn't mean to be negative.[emoji1303]

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

The candy have a lot to be proud of  

One of my first memories of the Candy was getting beat 6-1 by Petershill in a cup match ( may have been Evening Times Cup) or the equivalent in the early 70s. 

Onwards and upwards

2 hours ago, ScottMcCorry said:

Tremendous post.

I didn't mean to be negative.emoji1303.png

Should have added the great bunch of guys running the place from the Gaffer to the groundsman and everybody in between.

Roll on the new season.

I watched this club on quite a few occasions. I would like to add offering soccer coaching to local kid's during the holiday's free of charge, and giving them lunch, also free.

I think the people involved deserve a medal.Too often this club are criticised about fans behavior and things that happened off the park,without getting credit for their massive  work in the local community.

I wish some of our wealthier senior clubs looked at how you are coaching our future players free of charge.Not all parents can afford to send their kids during the holiday's if they have to pay for the privilege.

Well done,keep going with it.

7 hours ago, dulingo said:

I watched this club on quite a few occasions. I would like to add offering soccer coaching to local kid's during the holiday's free of charge, and giving them lunch, also free.

I think the people involved deserve a medal.Too often this club are criticised about fans behavior and things that happened off the park,without getting credit for their massive  work in the local community.

I wish some of our wealthier senior clubs looked at how you are coaching our future players free of charge.Not all parents can afford to send their kids during the holiday's if they have to pay for the privilege.

The coaching is an amazing initiative  by a real community club with their heart in the right place.  Their work with various charities to clothe and feed the less fortunate in our society has rightly gained them many plaudits as has their work in facilitating homework clubs for the young people of the east end. They are an example to everyone on how to make a junior club a force for good. 

8 hours ago, dulingo said:

Great post sir. Totally agree with you about the soccer coaching. Great idea.

I have offered free of charge to become involved elsewhere with things like

this, and the reply has been: "It would cost too much to run." - and that is

after offering not to take anything. Ive only got over 20 years experience:thumbsdown

Junior and indeed some Boys Club that I know of who organise ventures like

St Roch should be congratulated.

Enjoyed our two tussles with the Candy last season very much and great to see another City Club growing a loyal fan base when the trend for most has been a serious supporter decline e.g. Peasy,Bens,Shettleston etc .I think John Sweeney will be a loss to you as he is a very good player with huge experience who makes a big difference when he keeps the discipline as we saw for Lok over the years.

On 06/07/2017 at 16:28, ScottMcCorry said:

Indeed, something went wrong there. Fitness, mentality, something...as i still believe we were a better team than Larkhall, but alas the table doesn't lie.

Results suggest otherwise.

Results over the last 2 seasons ; Larkhall Thistle V St Rochs  P 6 WON 4 DREW 2 LOST 0

22 minutes ago, ScottMcCorry said:

Indeed....i did say the table doesn't lie in fairness.

Cheers.

I hope you get up next year.

And keep up the wonderful local work, thats what a community club is all about.

Archived