St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

A new season, a new thread.

A pre season of rebuilding on and off the park for the Candy.

Chris McFadyen has decided to leave the coaching team after 3 seasons.

Club captain James McKnight and midfielder Robert Maguire have both departed and are currently weighing up several offers. Whilst not confirmed but John Sweeney looks to have played his last game for the club, with Kilbirnie his destination potentially.

A few have re-signed (names to be confirmed) so far and today the club confirmed Possil Y.M. striker Darren Maguire has signed up for the new year.

Will update as details become available.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The consequences of St Roch's failure to gain promotion may have a long term impact on the club. The momentum gained over the last few years has come crashing to a halt and is evidenced by the departure of some of their big hitters. What happens next is crucial and if they want their obvious ambitions to come to fruition a concerted effort must be made to attract some experienced players that will replace those who have left. 

The consequences of St Roch's failure to gain promotion may have a long term impact on the club. The momentum gained over the last few years has come crashing to a halt and is evidenced by the departure of some of their big hitters. What happens next is crucial and if they want their obvious ambitions to come to fruition a concerted effort must be made to attract some experienced players that will replace those who have left. 

Hmm I'm not sure if that is totally true. I suppose time will tell.
Yeah, to lose big players is always a blow...but the vast majority of clubs will feel this. As you say, attracting a similar standard is the hope...a bit of freshness is desired also.

I do think however, the committees aim is to build a sustainable club...not reliant on individuals. And it's fair to say, that the club was in a state of disrepair 3 seasons ago, and a better infrastructure physically as well as financially, was needed.
Could we have used the step up for bigger crowds, bigger away fans, sure...could we have done with a season of struggle, probably not.
I think a restructure on the pitch is needed (even more so with the big name departures) and I think we're better suited for that within the district league.
I can maybe see the manager going for younger players?

That's my opinion of course...and hopefully over time it'll prove true.

Why did James McKnight leave ? Seems to love the club .
Robert Maguire good player , stepping up a league?

I would guess so on Maguire, he wants to play as high as he can according to his words on the St Roch's website. You can't deny a player that.

On McKnight, I believe he's looking to play more regularly. Got a few offers from junior an amateur, again, according to his interview on the website.

On 12 June 2017 at 09:03, ScottMcCorry said:

Hmm I'm not sure if that is totally true. I suppose time will tell.
Yeah, to lose big players is always a blow...but the vast majority of clubs will feel this. As you say, attracting a similar standard is the hope...a bit of freshness is desired also.

I do think however, the committees aim is to build a sustainable club...not reliant on individuals. And it's fair to say, that the club was in a state of disrepair 3 seasons ago, and a better infrastructure physically as well as financially, was needed.
Could we have used the step up for bigger crowds, bigger away fans, sure...could we have done with a season of struggle, probably not.
I think a restructure on the pitch is needed (even more so with the big name departures) and I think we're better suited for that within the district league.
I can maybe see the manager going for younger players?

That's my opinion of course...and hopefully over time it'll prove true.

I don't think we are to far apart in our assessments. I think some experienced players are required and you think youth is the way forward but as you said in your first post rebuilding is required.  It will probably be a combination of both that would mean a successful 2017/18  

2 hours ago, ScottMcCorry said:

I wouldn't think so, just he hasn't been about so far...so giving him a wee starter for his return emoji3.png
The other one is last season I think....too much negative stuff on that one anaw!

Fair play, new start for a new season.

What's the price of the season tickets this term?

Problems with the computer at home...provisional pre season friendlies announced.

DAY DATE OPPOSITION LOCATION KICK OFF
Saturday 15/07/17 Harestaines Away TBC
Saturday 22/07/17 Kisyth Rangers James McGrory Park TBC
Wednesday 26/07/17 Colville Park James McGrory Park TBC
Saturday 29/07/17 Cumnock Townhead Park TBC
Monday 31/07/17 St Anthony’s McKenna Park TBC
Thursday 03/08/17 E.K.F.C Amateurs James McGrory Park TBC

Lets hope the Candy faithful come in the same numbers after an emotional season with bitter disappointment at the end. Great to see some signings. Gutted to lose the players we have lost. Hopefully no more out and a few more in.
MTC.

What lies ahead in the coming season after a hearatbreak ending to the last campaign? Well that's gone now and the only way is up, Candy, for you and me now. Some ins, some outs, some shake it all abouts.

Was up at the park on Tuesday night with Stevie meeting a top groundsman for some advice and guidance to improve the pitch. We have a plan and a list of actions which will make it better. The truth is that the timescales and cost involved in "sorting it properly" mean we are going to struggle but we are going to have a go and get as much done as we can. [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106] It highlights the costs and man hours involved in just running the club and is all credit to the hard working committee and volunteers. There is more to being a good club than the 11 on the pitch and I echo the thoughts mentioned earlier that I hope everyone continues to support the club like they did last year. Good luck to the lads who have left and welcome to the new signings. Whatever happens I hope it will be as up and down and happy and sad and thrilling and boring and exciting and as worthy of comment as last season. Some good new teams coming into the league, new grounds to visit and I am looking forward to it already.
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

At one of my first games at the start of last season supporting St Roch's the players walked out accompanied by some young kids and released balloons. They floated serenely on the cooling breeze accompanied by applause and the thoughts and prayers of all assembled, honouring the passing of a young local lad Clinton Pringle who had sadly passed away. At the Green Brigade tournament held yesterday at St Roch's it was poignant to see that his memory still lives on.

In the last few weeks with the terrorist attacks and the London fire and the heartache, pain and suffering of the people it has affected, I felt somewhat numb to it knowing as I do the feelings of unfairness and bitterness and anger that accompany these times. I hope like me that they get some peace eventually. For if nothing stays the same forever is your mantra then perhaps it needs tweaks. The pain will last and the sadness will last but instead of it happenning all day every day, it visits like a masochistic friend every so often, reminding you of a time and a place a wee while ago. It is not a bad thing. The good news is that the bitterness and anger subsides and you start to see clearly and get yourself back on track. I had a wee respectful smile yesterday when I saw St Roch's and the Green brigade, 2 groups who get some stick at times, come together and pay tribute. It made me feel good and sad at the same time. That isn't a bad thing and is what separates the people who care from the apathetic and condemning voices.

I was so pleased to see that yesterday and I hope anyone affected takes it and gets strength from it. Well done to all.

MTC!! [emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

IMG_1497782757.565360.jpgIMG_1497782773.384261.jpg

Bought my season ticket yesterday for the Investors Section. Free pie and bovril at halftime, wifi and Sky TV, open bar till 6pm after home games, get to meet the manager and players.

Least i'm sure that's what the stadium manager said when he took my 50 quid off me.

Archived