Jump to content
Burnie_man

Junior football, what is the future?

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

I've said this before, but can anyone imagine what he does for 40 hours a week? Monday. 9am. Takes his jacket off and gets stuck into................??????

Well, he is (or was) on the 8 man SFA Executive Board running our game, unbelievable but true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully this is a step towards a 3 way split at Tier 5. If it's not that then whatever is necessary to unblock the issues that are preventing the game getting a proper structure.  That'll need movement from SPFL clubs though. Their preferred option was a national tier 5 structure but that's just nuts I'd have thought.  348 miles from Dalbeattie to Wick if both made it to tier 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, HTG said:

Hopefully this is a step towards a 3 way split at Tier 5. If it's not that then whatever is necessary to unblock the issues that are preventing the game getting a proper structure.  That'll need movement from SPFL clubs though. Their preferred option was a national tier 5 structure but that's just nuts I'd have thought.  348 miles from Dalbeattie to Wick if both made it to tier 5.

A split LL into  16 team West and East with full Junior involvement would be a much stronger set-up than the existing single LL with little or no Junior involvement.  It would be a better environment for relegated SPFL clubs to drop into without the prospect of facing Edusport or Hawick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many south of Tay licences clubs are there now?

16 LL,
Glasgow uni
Linlithgow
Kelty
Burntisland
Preston
Coldstream
St cuthberts
Girvan
Newton Stewart
Threave
And in theory I guess Wigtown.(they are still listed)

Probably enough to go to a 12 team LL east and west, or even 14 east and 10 west
with the ability to accept more teams once licensed.

LL east
Kelty
Burntisland
Coldstream
Preston
Hawick
Gala
Vale of leithen
Civil service
Whitehill
Edinburgh uni
Spartans
east Stirlingshire
Stirling uni.
Linlithgow

LL west
Glasgow uni
Gretna
BSC Glasgow*
Edusport
East Kilbride
Cumbernauld
Dalbeattie
Threave
Newton Stewart
Girvan
St cuthberts


It's probably just about do able but it isn't exactly pretty especially in the west. Think we probably need to have a tier 6 WoS to build a stronger game in the west before LL can split.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

How many south of Tay licences clubs are there now?

16 LL,
Glasgow uni
Linlithgow
Kelty
Burntisland
Preston
Coldstream
St cuthberts
Girvan
Newton Stewart
Threave
And in theory I guess Wigtown.(they are still listed)

Probably enough to go to a 12 team LL east and west, or even 14 east and 10 west
with the ability to accept more teams once licensed.

LL east
Kelty
Burntisland
Coldstream
Preston
Hawick
Gala
Vale of leithen
Civil service
Whitehill
Edinburgh uni
Spartans
east Stirlingshire
Stirling uni.
Linlithgow

LL west
Glasgow uni
Gretna
BSC Glasgow*
Edusport
East Kilbride
Cumbernauld
Dalbeattie
Threave
Newton Stewart
Girvan
St cuthberts


It's probably just about do able but it isn't exactly pretty especially in the west. Think we probably need to have a tier 6 WoS to build a stronger game in the west before LL can split.

Rangers and Celtic Colts in the West? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

How many south of Tay licences clubs are there now?

16 LL,
Glasgow uni
Linlithgow
Kelty
Burntisland
Preston
Coldstream
St cuthberts
Girvan
Newton Stewart
Threave
And in theory I guess Wigtown.(they are still listed)

Probably enough to go to a 12 team LL east and west, or even 14 east and 10 west
with the ability to accept more teams once licensed.

LL east
Kelty
Burntisland
Coldstream
Preston
Hawick
Gala
Vale of leithen
Civil service
Whitehill
Edinburgh uni
Spartans
east Stirlingshire
Stirling uni.
Linlithgow

LL west
Glasgow uni
Gretna
BSC Glasgow*
Edusport
East Kilbride
Cumbernauld
Dalbeattie
Threave
Newton Stewart
Girvan
St cuthberts


It's probably just about do able but it isn't exactly pretty especially in the west. Think we probably need to have a tier 6 WoS to build a stronger game in the west before LL can split.

Linlithgow, Stirling Uni and East Stirling all capable of playing in either east or west to balance numbers. Room for another 7 licenced clubs across the 2 leagues. Possibly more if some existing licenced clubs opt to stay at current SoS level. 

Edited by HTG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allow all Junior clubs a 12-18 month grace period to obtain a licence and play in a Lowland League West and East set-up for those interested straight away.

Ask for applications to fill the vacancies, with priority given on whether licence application already underway, and on league position.

Highest ranked club with a licence in each division enter 4-way play off with Highland and bottom SPFL club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

How many south of Tay licences clubs are there now?

16 LL,
Glasgow uni
Linlithgow
Kelty
Burntisland
Preston
Coldstream
St cuthberts
Girvan
Newton Stewart
Threave
And in theory I guess Wigtown.(they are still listed)

Probably enough to go to a 12 team LL east and west, or even 14 east and 10 west
with the ability to accept more teams once licensed.

LL east
Kelty
Burntisland
Coldstream
Preston
Hawick
Gala
Vale of leithen
Civil service
Whitehill
Edinburgh uni
Spartans
east Stirlingshire
Stirling uni.
Linlithgow

LL west
Glasgow uni
Gretna
BSC Glasgow*
Edusport
East Kilbride
Cumbernauld
Dalbeattie
Threave
Newton Stewart
Girvan
St cuthberts


It's probably just about do able but it isn't exactly pretty especially in the west. Think we probably need to have a tier 6 WoS to build a stronger game in the west before LL can split.

You're right, that proposed West division looks like a complete shitfest - there remains a big question mark that many of those teams would actually want to join it - I doubt sides like Glasgow Uni and Girvan would touch it with a bargepole for varying reasons; the Uni seem content to remain amateur and grandfather into the cup every year, and Girvan have just made the (Ayrshire-dominated) top tier of the Juniors for the first time and will be seeing a concomitant (yay...used it in a sentence!) upturn in exposure and crowd size.

Worth also bearing in mind Threave having already stepped up to the LL have retreated to the SoS to lick their wounds, and Saints did their level best to delay getting licensed to actively avoid the LL a few years ago. Newton haven't been close enough to promotion from the SoS that their attitude matters, which probably gives an accurate snapshot of where they are strength-wise.

Probably need to look further than the currently-licensed clubs to form something worthwhile. Stadiums are the main issue; some current junior grounds would undoubtedly cost a great deal to bring up to code, but the bar IS set quite low, and a good few are licenced already. The club licensing side of things is mainly paperwork and publishing codes of practice - I suspect all that holds some sides back from getting it done is the prospect of being shoehorned against their will into something along the lines of that list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Allow all Junior clubs a 12-18 month grace period to obtain a licence and play in a Lowland League West and East set-up for those interested straight away.

Ask for applications to fill the vacancies, with priority given on whether licence application already underway, and on league position.

Highest ranked club with a licence in each division enter 4-way play off with Highland and bottom SPFL club.

Your idea is good in principle but there is one potential problem.  That of balancing the playing side with developing the facilities.  Kelty had to go down that route and ended in a relegation play-off!  It would be great as long as no possible danger of relegation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, HTG said:

Hopefully this is a step towards a 3 way split at Tier 5. If it's not that then whatever is necessary to unblock the issues that are preventing the game getting a proper structure.  That'll need movement from SPFL clubs though. Their preferred option was a national tier 5 structure but that's just nuts I'd have thought.  348 miles from Dalbeattie to Wick if both made it to tier 5.

Why do people keep saying this. This gets on my wick. Junior clubs aren't going to over take EOSFL clubs to go into a Lowland League. The Junior clubs will come in at tier 6. Absolute ludicrous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

You're right, that proposed West division looks like a complete shitfest - there remains a big question mark that many of those teams would actually want to join it - I doubt sides like Glasgow Uni and Girvan would touch it with a bargepole for varying reasons; the Uni seem content to remain amateur and grandfather into the cup every year, and Girvan have just made the (Ayrshire-dominated) top tier of the Juniors for the first time and will be seeing a concomitant (yay...used it in a sentence!) upturn in exposure and crowd size.

Worth also bearing in mind Threave having already stepped up to the LL have retreated to the SoS to lick their wounds, and Saints did their level best to delay getting licensed to actively avoid the LL a few years ago. Newton haven't been close enough to promotion from the SoS that their attitude matters, which probably gives an accurate snapshot of where they are strength-wise.

Probably need to look further than the currently-licensed clubs to form something worthwhile. Stadiums are the main issue; some current junior grounds would undoubtedly cost a great deal to bring up to code, but the bar IS set quite low, and a good few are licenced already. The club licensing side of things is mainly paperwork and publishing codes of practice - I suspect all that holds some sides back from getting it done is the prospect of being shoehorned against their will into something along the lines of that list.

I like this post - pretty accurate there are clubs in leagues/levels not appropriate to their overall situation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jason King said:

And with a pyramid all clubs will find their appropriate level over time.

All well and good until you've actually got a club to run.

Let's say five biggish Junior clubs go SoS at once. With promotion relegation as it stands, they're effectively dooming themselves to half a decade traipsing down the A74/A701 losing money hand over fist and playing in front of virtually nobody until the last of them emerges blinking into the promised land of the LL.

Yeah, fair enough it would sort itself out eventually, but wouldn't it have been so much better if they'd adopted a coherent approach to the introduction of the pyramid in the first place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

All well and good until you've actually got a club to run.

Let's say five biggish Junior clubs go SoS at once. With promotion relegation as it stands, they're effectively dooming themselves to half a decade traipsing down the A74/A701 losing money hand over fist and playing in front of virtually nobody until the last of them emerges blinking into the promised land of the LL.

Yeah, fair enough it would sort itself out eventually, but wouldn't it have been so much better if they'd adopted a coherent approach to the introduction of the pyramid in the first place?

...and why should Junior clubs be treated differently? Sitting on their hands at the implementation of the pyramid doesn't mean they should automatically be allowed to jump the queue. Its the clubs that need to lead on the pyramid, allowing the SJFA to speak for them is clearly a mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jason King said:

...and why should Junior clubs be treated differently? Sitting on their hands at the implementation of the pyramid doesn't mean they should automatically be allowed to jump the queue. Its the clubs that need to lead on the pyramid, allowing the SJFA to speak for them is clearly a mistake.

Aaannnnd full circle...

As has been repeated ad nauseam on this and other threads, although a great deal of blame can be laid at the feet of the SJFA for failing to engage with the process pre-LL, little if any can be lumped on the clubs themselves, who were presented with a fait accompli with six weeks' notice.

Might also be worth bearing in mind than the "queue" involved in the current status quo seems to contain a hell of a lot of sides that don't seem to be waiting for this particular bus - witness St Cuthberts delaying licensing until after the cutoff for promotion and Wigtown frantically throwing the league last season to avoid going up. In effect, as things stand at the moment in the SoS we've got a "queue" with a logjam of a full division of sides either unwilling to or incapable of stepping up.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Aaannnnd full circle...

As has been repeated ad nauseam on this and other threads, although a great deal of blame can be laid at the feet of the SJFA for failing to engage with the process pre-LL, little if any can be lumped on the clubs themselves, who were presented with a fait accompli with six weeks' notice.

Might also be worth bearing in mind than the "queue" involved in the current status quo seems to contain a hell of a lot of sides that don't seem to be waiting for this particular bus - witness St Cuthberts delaying licensing until after the cutoff for promotion and Wigtown frantically throwing the league last season to avoid going up. In effect, as things stand at the moment in the SoS we've got a "queue" with a logjam of a full division of sides either unwilling to or incapable of stepping up.

 

 

 

Some of these licenced clubs in the EOS and SOS dont want to be in the Lowland League, they have a licence to enter the Scottish Cup thats it. There wont be many clubs to leapfrog as another poster claims. Sure give them the chance to join a new set-up but I dont see Glasgow University or Newton Stewart rushing to join a West Lowland League as they know they would be completely out of their depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×