Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Good effort. I like it in terms of the fact that it brings everything together. That said, I really don't see the need for all the splits. It could just be a simple 2 up 2 down in every league.

Also would any League 1/League 2 sides rather go regional? If they are happy travelling the length of the country then that should remain

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

Regionalisation of a national league is a step backwards, I cant think of one positive it would have on the playing standards.

Look at league 1 just now: Forfar v Albion Rovers and Stranraer v Arbroath or League 2: Peterhead v Berwick and Edinburgh City v Montrose - 4 times a season.

Just can't see much merit in having those games at all given the travel time, especially if games are called on a weds night. Attendances at these games would back this up. 

There should be room for 2 professional national leagues at the top and regional leagues below that. That way the focus on quality is at the elite level and there's a better standard of local league below, with an incentive for promotion uo alongside the big boys. 

Edited by Che Dail

13 minutes ago, Jason King said:

How would regionalisation improve the quality of what's on offer?

Players would find their level instead of dropping down (eg to Junior grade) to save travelling to Berwick one week , Montrose the next and Peterhead the week after. 

Supporters generally are more interested in local games, so attendances would increase.

The top two leagues would have to constantly improve or they face being relegated to the regional set-up.

Clubs in regional leagues have an incentive to constantly improve because they could reach the professional set-up.

Edited by Che Dail

4 minutes ago, Jason King said:

And your source for the evidence to back up those claims is?

None of those points automatically lead to an increase in the quality of the product on the park either.

Denmark?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_in_Denmark

Population equivalent to Scotland, the national side routinely outperforms ours (rank 19 v 29) by reaching international competitions and you generally find their best players in the top European leagues.  

Their Women's team is one of the best in the world. 

All this points better quality - and you see that off the park in terms of facilities also.

25 minutes ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Id have to disagree on the local aspect. Playing teams from the next village may appeal in certain parochial places but not to the point itd boost crowds further than scrapping the 2 leagues suggested.

Berwick to Bonnyrigg: 1hr , Linlithgow 1hr 20

or to Peterhead: 4.5hr twice a season? 

I am sorry to say I feel the quality of the product is not the best.  Until there is one unified body operating Scottish football things are not going to get better anytime soon. Scottish Junior Football was great many years ago but is way off the pace now. A unified force could enforce ground grading requirements for teams who wish to progress.

Compared to the standards of your counterparts south of the border there is little there for the supporters and the standards of play leaves a lot to be desired. 

When we talk about about 'offer'  what have we got in mind ?.  A lot of grounds do not even have a semblance of cover let alone anything else. Great people associated with the clubs but they need help and support from those in power.

I am sorry to say I feel the quality of the product is not the best.  Until there is one unified body operating Scottish football things are not going to get better anytime soon. Scottish Junior Football was great many years ago but is way off the pace now. A unified force could enforce ground grading requirements for teams who wish to progress.
Compared to the standards of your counterparts south of the border there is little there for the supporters and the standards of play leaves a lot to be desired. 
When we talk about about 'offer'  what have we got in mind ?.  A lot of grounds do not even have a semblance of cover let alone anything else. Great people associated with the clubs but they need help and support from those in power.

I couldn't care less about how our game compares to a country with 10 times our population and 100 times our money and I've not been to many grounds without cover. Not that it bothers me either way. But I think there's a groundswell of opinion towards a pyramid and a pathway for ambitious clubs is long overdue. Interesting times

16 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Wait these are long distance trips?

You realise you don't have to walk?

Yeah I realise that, although I can't imagine many folk would want to sit on a bus for 9 hours in one day for 2hrs of football. 

Not likely to take the kids on that voyage.  

Edited by Che Dail

32 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

You have used 2 examples of teams 2 hours apart. That's not a long journey ffs

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what's at the other end - I could get to Newcastle in 2 hrs for top class English football.  Or I could walk to my local ground in 10 minutes.  Or go to Montrose or Forfar instead. 

There are competing pressures on people's time,  and football in this country has to be attractive enough to get people along.

I'm just suggesting that it might be better if the lower level clubs who are not likely to progress beyond their own division were playing at a more 'local' level. 

Edited by Che Dail

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what's at the other end - I could get to Newcastle in 2 hrs for top class English football.  Or I could walk to my local ground in 10 minutes.  Or go to Montrose or Forfar instead. 
There are competing pressures on people's time,  and football in this country has to be attractive enough to get people along.
I'm just suggesting that it might be better if the lower level clubs who are not likely to progress beyond their own division were playing at a more 'local' level. 

Define local? Should Forfar athletic be playing in an Angus league?(where the disparity between the top teams and bottom sides would be ridiculous) an east league?(which would still involve trips of over 2 hours, and again with a drop in standards) doesn't seem worth it to save a couple of hours journey a season.