Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Teams change - I believe Cove felt they were a bit short last season and tried to strengthen for 17-18 - their domination of the HFL testament to that.

The should be stronger again next season, playing home games at their new stadium

5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Teams change - I believe Cove felt they were a bit short last season and tried to strengthen for 17-18 - their domination of the HFL testament to that.

One thing to say about Cove, Buckie had an ineligible player on the bench for the last game of the 16/17 season and a strict interpretation of the rules could have meant they'd lose 3 points and the title to Cove. They were let off and Cove made no appeal or push on the committee to have it go their way. Probably because they were getting away with yet another season sleeping on other Clubs' sofas.

1 hour ago, Truthteller said:

Can’t really blame the east region juniors for jumping cos it’s been so long since an east team won the National trophy that the only alternative to try and make an impression is through the beazer league and the money that gets thrown at it

You missed the word unsponsored ....as in unsponsored national trophy. Great cup management eh :)

1 hour ago, BoomShakalaka said:

You missed the word unsponsored ....as in unsponsored national trophy. Great cup management eh :)

The last time a team from East/Midlothian won the national non league trophy was 1978 so understandably teams from this area are pi##ed off.

Any success for the East Region has came from mainly West Lothian and Tayside. Fact.

Between reading this thread and reading the East of Scotland one on ‘new members’ it really is entirely incomprehensible to me why Linlithgow and Bo’ness haven’t spoken offline to each other and come to the obvious conclusion that a joint move to the EoSFL is the only sensible move to be made - certainly at this juncture and, to be honest, even before now. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to be lost and so, so much to be gained - whether it be simply to their standing within the game, whether it be financially (and let’s ignore the embarrassing contributions of the feeble minded amongst us ranting about EoSFL membership being all about the money) or whether it be in grasping the reality of the future.

I honestly believe if these two great clubs stand still just now they will regret it for such a very, very long time. Whitburn refused to embrace the Super League and with it the future when East Region reorganisation belatedly arrived several years ago while so many (indeed all) around them did and, in doing so, misunderstood the reality of progress. Everyone, including - I would hope - those in charge at Whitburn, now knows how badly that worked out. Incredibly, lessons have not been learned at Central Park and they look steadfast in their eagerness to repeat this quite catastrophic error in judgement.

Surely the two biggest and greatest clubs in the east have the wherewithal to speak to each other and avoid repeating such awful folly.

Deary me I so really, really hope so.

7 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

The last time a team from East/Midlothian won the national non league trophy was 1978 so understandably teams from this area are pi##ed off.

Any success for the East Region has came from mainly West Lothian and Tayside. Fact.

indeed but you failed to deal with the issue regarding lack of sponsprship? prize money?

They are peed off by mismanagement of the league in general. Many things which have been covered in full throughout the 433 pages of this thread.

1 minute ago, Black & Red Socks said:

Between reading this thread and reading the East of Scotland one on ‘new members’ it really is entirely incomprehensible to me why Linlithgow and Bo’ness haven’t spoken offline to each other and come to the obvious conclusion that a joint move to the EoSFL is the only sensible move to be made - certainly at this juncture and, to be honest, even before now. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to be lost and so, so much to be gained - whether it be simply in their standing within the game, whether it be financially (and let’s ignore the embarrassing contributions of the feeble minded amongst us ranting about EoSFL membership being all about the money) or whether it be in grasping the reality of the future.

I honestly believe if these two great clubs stand still just now they will regret it for such a very, very long time. Whitburn refused to embrace the Super League and with it the future when East Region reorganisation belatedly arrived several years ago while so many (indeed all) around them did and, in doing so, understood the reality of progress. Everyone, including - I would hope - those in charge at Whitburn now knows how badly that worked out. Incredibly, lessons have not been learned at Central
Park and they look steadfast in their eagerness to repeat this quite catastrophic error in judgement.

Surely the two biggest and greatest clubs in the east have the wherewithal to speak to each other and avoid repeating such awful folly?

Deary me I so really, really hope so.

I would include Broburn in this statement.  A well run club and it would easily obtain a licence.

FACT (caps)

2 off the clubs that are or have joined the EOS have the capability off competing in the lowland league ( kelty and bonnyrigg) the rest will simply drift around the yet unknown EOS leagues. Fact is IF and it's a big IF the money on offer is so great all clubs will equally have greater budgets .there for still in the same pecking order only having more money .also since such vast amounts are to be gained in this league why did 2 clubs leave to sit in the bottom tear of the east region sjfa. Talk of travel costs us a nonesence as a reconstructed league on a geographical basis was thrown out by the same clubs now leaving . So last reason for leaving .season long fixtures .I'm sure these could be released but like the EOS last season games would be postponed and rescheduled. The junior cup replays ( clubs decision to keep these) plays havoc with junior fixture lists . sorry but I see a few clubs benefiting the rest will be mid table nomads .

8 minutes ago, daleboy1969 said:

2 off the clubs that are or have joined the EOS have the capability off competing in the lowland league ( kelty and bonnyrigg) the rest will simply drift around the yet unknown EOS leagues. Fact is IF and it's a big IF the money on offer is so great all clubs will equally have greater budgets .there for still in the same pecking order only having more money .also since such vast amounts are to be gained in this league why did 2 clubs leave to sit in the bottom tear of the east region sjfa. Talk of travel costs us a nonesence as a reconstructed league on a geographical basis was thrown out by the same clubs now leaving . So last reason for leaving .season long fixtures .I'm sure these could be released but like the EOS last season games would be postponed and rescheduled. The junior cup replays ( clubs decision to keep these) plays havoc with junior fixture lists . sorry but I see a few clubs benefiting the rest will be mid table nomads .

They may stay at same level however if they do progress there is nothing to stop where they could rise to unlike the juniors. 

Edited by Jute

7 minutes ago, Jute said:

They may stay at same level however if they do progress there is nothing to stop where they could rise to unlike the juniors. 

The argument that juniors don't want to join the pyramid is no longer .the clubs mentioned .kelty and bonnyrigg ALONG with the likes off linlithgow will be able to rise through the leagues on merit through on field success .( this should have been dealt with years ago) but clubs don't raise issues .they sit and moan in wee groups then in order to steel a march on others decide to move .they have merely done a sideways shuffle .most have a massive amount of work to do off the park in order to obtain a licence . The constant movement for closing applications date to the EOS should be subject to SFA investigation.  Continued CANVASSING off clubs to shift is ridiculous . 

12 minutes ago, daleboy1969 said:

My team are in the LL at present. 

If I'm honest I'm not fussy what league they end up in now as, even if they "drift" down a league or two  we might now have a chance of some local games. 

It's not always aboot the money you keep blabbing on aboot. 

I don't think we'll ever be a mid table nomad no matter what league we are in as every season come September the Scottish Cup gives me or anyone else the excitement of maybes just maybes getting a decent draw against some of the giants of Scottish fitba. There's always the big disappointment of being pumped oot right enough but to me this is one highlight that trumps any junior cup glory.

Yes winning the junior Cup itself is some achievement but surely (at junior league level) the biggest honour is in winning either the East or West superleague. There is nowhere to go from there though whereas at least "drifting" around the EoSFL has space for going higher. 

The Juniors should've been integrated years ago into the pyramid system imo but seems yer man at the top made a right arse of it unfortunately. 

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

This season's Scottish Cup: Airdrie 2 Cove 3

Last season's League Cup: Cove 3 Montrose 0.

I think I'd enjoy that kind of thing. Plus, last time Hearts played a non-league side (admittedly one better than Cove) it took a terrible refereeing mistake to give them a 1-0 win at home. 

Now, now, play nice...

9 minutes ago, daleboy1969 said:

The argument that juniors don't want to join the pyramid is no longer .the clubs mentioned .kelty and bonnyrigg ALONG with the likes off linlithgow will be able to rise through the leagues on merit through on field success .( this should have been dealt with years ago) but clubs don't raise issues .they sit and moan in wee groups then in order to steel a march on others decide to move .they have merely done a sideways shuffle .most have a massive amount of work to do off the park in order to obtain a licence . The constant movement for closing applications date to the EOS should be subject to SFA investigation.  Continued CANVASSING off clubs to shift is ridiculous . 

Thing is though, there was always zero prospect of the East Region being in the pyramid at  a reasonably high level after the SJFA refused to get involved with the Lowland League. Any clubs wanting into the pyramid had to make this move. What was the alternative?