Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

18 minutes ago, Unknown Fan said:

Summer football so you could play games in the evenings without floodlights, ludicrous idea that one.  I know you mean the end of season backlog.

Scrap Replays idea is a good one, barring Clydebank heading to Seniors the West are due to be playing a 30 game league season.  Good luck with that. 

There's 8 teams that have played less than 10 league games this season in the West and 24 less than a dozen, it's now March.   How are some of these Clubs going to cope in a 30 game league season?

Book out Toryglen and Ravenscraig November through to March or Summer football?  

Incredibly, the east has been running 30 game league seasons for some time now.  The world hasn't stopped.  5 or 6 utterly pointless league cup sectional games have stopped swallowing up August. Try it - I think you'll prefer proper competition instead of trial matches for a month. 

Edited by HTG

18 minutes ago, Unknown Fan said:

Summer football so you could play games in the evenings without floodlights, ludicrous idea that one.  I know you mean the end of season backlog.

Scrap Replays idea is a good one, barring Clydebank heading to Seniors the West are due to be playing a 30 game league season.  Good luck with that. 

There's 8 teams that have played less than 10 league games this season in the West and 24 less than a dozen, it's now March.   How are some of these Clubs going to cope in a 30 game league season?

Book out Toryglen and Ravenscraig November through to March or Summer football?  

It was the West Region clubs that voted for a 30 game league season so they must have some idea of how they're going to cope with it.

4 minutes ago, HTG said:

Incredibly, the east has been running 30 game league seasons for some time now.  The world hasn't stopped.  5 or 6 utterly pointless league cup sectional games have stopped swallowing up August. Try it - I think you'll prefer proper competition instead of trial matches for a month. 

I'm not disagreeing sounds good, more regular home fixtures.  Though the west and especially Ayrshire is damp most of the year.

2 minutes ago, Unknown Fan said:

I'm not disagreeing sounds good, more regular home fixtures.  Though the west and especially Ayrshire is damp most of the year.

Aye, we cannae help the fact that you live in an inhospitable hellhole! :)

21 minutes ago, Unknown Fan said:

Well where would they go to?  Moving to the pyramid only benefits the bigger stronger clubs that could make it easy enough to the Lowland league and remain there.  For any smaller club North East or West Region the loss of local derbies, travel and cost would add up.

Most evening games towards the end of the season you can knock at least a third off the attendance you'd get on a Saturday in autumn or winter though - people have quite simply got more alternatives to choose from in summer. A truncated (say) March-October season would mean games most midweek - it sounds idyllic but all the evidence shows that people simply don't show up for them.

Add to that the prospect of being directly up against World Cups and European Championships every other year - no competition there then!

If TJ's floating this as a serious idea, we may as well see it for what it is - for "distinguish the grade" read "make it more difficult to leave as you'll be out of step with what you'd be joining"

Edited by Hillonearth

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It was the West Region clubs that voted for a 30 game league season so they must have some idea of how they're going to cope with it.

Think it's a good idea and progressive, though be interesting how it works out.  

Take the Highland League approach start the league last week of July and reserve the weekends for the League games.  

Edited by Unknown Fan

19 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Most evening games towards the end of the season you can knock at least a third off the attendance you'd get on a Saturday in autumn or winter though - people have quite simply got more alternatives to choose from in summer. A truncated (say) March-October season would mean games most midweek - it sounds idyllic but all the evidence shows that people simply don't show up for them.

Add to that the prospect of being directly up against World Cups and European Championships every other year - no competition there then!

If TJ's floating this as a serious idea, we may as well see it for what it is - for "distinguish the grade" read "make it more difficult to leave as you'll be out of step with what you'd be joining"

It isn't being floated as a serious idea, he's merely paying lip service to the 'Summer Fitba Brigade'. 

He knows fine well it will not come about. There are far too many problems that have no solution surrounding the Summer Fitba question.

It is time however that he started a proper full on consultation regarding the Scottish Junior Cup. Especially with regards to replays, start dates, winter months with no ties etc.

Think it's a good idea and progressive, though be interesting how it works out.  
Take the Highland League approach start the league last week of July and reserve the weekends for the League games.  

The HFL play league fixtures midweeks early doors to get games in the bank. They'll still have midweeks at the end though to clear the backlog. Note all the teams have floodlights, though, so it's practical to play winter cup matches midweek too.

Well where would they go to?  Moving to the pyramid only benefits the bigger stronger clubs that could make it easy enough to the Lowland league and remain there.  For any smaller club North East or West Region the loss of local derbies, travel and cost would add up.

In an integrated league system, they'd be playing the exact same teams in the same areas. For the majority of junior clubs, a pyramid changes nothing, just the glass ceiling at the top. Remember, West sides have voted to scrap the Central and Ayrshire districts next season, how do you think clubs will cope with this?

51 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

In an integrated league system, they'd be playing the exact same teams in the same areas. For the majority of junior clubs, a pyramid changes nothing, just the glass ceiling at the top. Remember, West sides have voted to scrap the Central and Ayrshire districts next season, how do you think clubs will cope with this?

Denny to Dalmellington on a crisp winters morn, many a Glaswegian team finally finding out the delights of Muirkirk, the big smoke trips of the Ayrshire country boys, yep it'll be interesting and exotic for the first few seasons.

Give it a year or 2 and you could see some joint 3rd tier South West/North East divide being set up.  With them leagues making up the lesser games as the odd team goes Senior and new clubs enter.

Doubt the West would run at any higher than 64 teams, then they would have to revert back to a 5 Division League.

Clydebank are leaving, maybe Bonnyton would consider an application.

Wonder what other Clubs have p***ked up their ears to apply for the juniors next season, any top amateur Clubs come to mind?  

Edited by Unknown Fan

Oh dear..where do we go with this thread? I don't think there will be any resolved outcome to the summer v winter debate. Summer football: the lack of grass, with no recovery time will lead to the inevitable 4G pitch scenario, reduced crowds, players on holiday and gravitating to senior football during the winter break.  Winter football: status quo...with nothing changing,;again move toward 4G pitches.  I like winter football, but I like watching a game feeling comfortable , but what else would I do on  December Saturday.. ..shopping...bowling! Mmmm,  Let's all watch indoor bowling! 

Try summer football and if it doesnt work revert back,nothing ventured nothing gained.Get BBC Alba involved,maybe showing a top fixture weekly,think of the recent Rob Roy v Linlithgow match being shown live,a great advert for junior football.Just maybe a change like this would bring more investment and spark interest in the junior game.

Alba doesn't start until 4pm, I'll let you work out why the Roy v Rose game wouldn't have been on the channel ;)

Alba dropped the majority of their lower league coverage as soon as Sevco were promoted into the top flight, I cant see them hurrying to cover Junior games.

3 hours ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

Try summer football and if it doesnt work revert back,nothing ventured nothing gained.Get BBC Alba involved,maybe showing a top fixture weekly,think of the recent Rob Roy v Linlithgow match being shown live,a great advert for junior football.Just maybe a change like this would bring more investment and spark interest in the junior game.

Do the SJFA not still pay the BBC to cover the cup final? Can't see run of the mill games being worth the cash.

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

Alba dropped the majority of their lower league coverage as soon as Sevco were promoted into the top flight, I cant see them hurrying to cover Junior games.

No they didn't.  They never showed any Rangers games whilst they were in the lower leagues, and they still continue to broadcast live lower league matches now.  However, you're right to say that they'd have little interest in showing Junior matches, especially when they wouldn't be able to select matches in advance due to the lack of a reliable fixture list.

Aye right very good!!  95% don't want to lose their Ayrshire derbies and go back to the District leagues.

I've seen some SJFA propaganda in my time but this beats them all  , how many clubs replied about 20? 

26 minutes ago, archieb said:

First indication of the likely result of the SJFA's recent pyramid consultation is that 95% of clubs replying are in favour of joining the pyramid!

You'll give Weegieboy a heart attack with that sort of info :lol: