Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

On 28/02/2018 at 08:37, Che Dail said:

It could hardly be described as a consultation, it's barely even a questionnaire as the answers are largely pre-determined:

Should Junior Football Join the Pyramid System?

NO  (Junior Football wants to retain its independence, it says so in the paper you issued.  Junior clubs should join though, if they want to)

What option do you prefer?

B  (because Option A is a complete non-starter.  But 'B' is almost there anyway as there already is an East feeder, so only a West feeder is required)

Does your club meet entry level Club Licensing Criteria

NO  (Of course it doesn't - But every club can work towards it)

These questions follow a clumsily worded paper laced with negative bias, leading inevitably to an outcome like,  "The pyramid is still flawed, members don't want it, members aren't ready for licensing". And no progress is made.

Meanwhile, on the 'rumours',  if the Fife club interest is confirmed that makes it 4 Junior clubs planning on making the switch plus 2 Amateur clubs interested and possibly the return to the EoS by 2 former member clubs in the Borders - looks like 2 leagues will be possible.

Some comments from Tom Johnston in the Daily Record's Junior coverage. Summer football's being looked at as an option. Personally, I think its something to consider as it would help to distinguish the grade and end the constant back and forth over joining the pyramid.

The reason it was brought up was the number of postponements this year. It was mentioned how a few years ago the SJFA handed out payments of £160,000 (if i remember correctly) and are in no position to do so again this year.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Some comments from Tom Johnston in the Daily Record's Junior coverage. Summer football's being looked at as an option. Personally, I think its something to consider as it would help to distinguish the grade and end the constant back and forth over joining the pyramid.

The reason it was brought up was the number of postponements this year. It was mentioned how a few years ago the SJFA handed out payments of £160,000 (if i remember correctly) and are in no position to do so again this year.

I've thought a summer season might be a solution to retain the distinct grade, Change from Junior to Scottish Summer League...or something. However, the season would have probably started today.

There'd have to be a massive culling of the cups, replays etc. Countries that play summer seasons have fewer matches and seasons that run roughly March-Nov. Given currently the season is July-June, that's a massive number of games to lose. There'd still be postponements that would have to be made up. I'm not fully against it, but it would need a radical redesign of the setup for what is comparatively little gain.

9 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

There'd have to be a massive culling of the cups, replays etc. Countries that play summer seasons have fewer matches and seasons that run roughly March-Nov. Given currently the season is July-June, that's a massive number of games to lose. There'd still be postponements that would have to be made up. I'm not fully against it, but it would need a radical redesign of the setup for what is comparatively little gain.

I've not been following it too closely, but I think a streamlining of the cups are already taking place in the West due to the league restructuring. It's also likely that a move to the summer season will see some dissension in the ranks, which would see some clubs move to the SFA pyramid. That could help to minimise fixture congestion.

It would be funny if the Juniors introduce truly radical change like summer football in order to avoid taking part in the pyramid. I'm also surprised by this idea of needing to  "distinguish the grade". It's just football. Some junior teams are better than many senior teams on and off the park, so the pretence of "grade" seems to be part of the problem.

The Juniors had the perfect structure to slot in under the SPFL, but the non league seniors wouldn't have wanted to join due to the backward admin. They still have the chance to slot in under the Lowland League, but it looks like even that may be slipping away.

Edited by bendan
Auto correct issue

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Football is football - Barcelona play football, St Mirren play football, Pennies Ams play football, 160 odd Junior clubs play football. Its not a grade, its a different structure separate from the "seniors". Summer football should be kicked out straight away, it'll kill clubs far quicker then the current sticking the head in the sand and ignoring the pyramid mentality.

Funny, I read that as 'keep Tom Johnston in a job'.

14 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Funny, I read that as 'keep Tom Johnston in a job'.

Junior football is on its way out, the average supporter must be in their 60's.  

Join the pyramid or slowly fade away.  Clubs will go every year with little to replace them.  If they remove carrot of Senior cup then where will the big clubs get money.   Not from pensioners paying 3 quid and the paltry prize money on offer.

Theres a high chance the whole of Scottish football will go to summer football in season 2020. A bumper new tv deal may be on offer from BT with that caveat.

Never the less TJ showing some common sense and foresight if he is proposing summer football, a smart move with far more positives to outweigh the negatives.

59 minutes ago, kefc said:

Theres a high chance the whole of Scottish football will go to summer football in season 2020. A bumper new tv deal may be on offer from BT with that caveat.

Never the less TJ showing some common sense and foresight if he is proposing summer football, a smart move with far more positives to outweigh the negatives.

Dread the thought of it. I've always seen the argument for summer football as a cheapskate way of not having to invest in proper facilities or coaching. Let's do what we've always done just when its meant to be sunnier.

Never the less TJ showing some common sense and foresight if he is proposing summer football, a smart move with far more positives to outweigh the negatives

High chance? Based on what exactly?

There’s a thread on this, look at it. Absolutely no way there’s more positives than negatives.

2 hours ago, eaglelok said:

Only thing with summer football is how do you give the pitch time to recover after the season is finished , the grass dont grow in the winter .

... and how do you deal with a backlog of fixtures in November when the weather's deteriorating and the evenings are getting darker?

Without 100% artificial pitches & floodlights summer football is a nonstarter

It's being discussed  because NO team can keep on surviving unscathed up to 3 months at a rime without gate income.

That is true whether you are Junior/Senior or In/Out of the pyramid.

Nothing to do with trying to deflect from the pyramid discussion  or trying to keep TJ in a job as much as the  Junior haters would like it to be

It's being discussed  because NO team can keep on surviving unscathed up to 3 months at a rime without gate income.

Simply not true, depends what you pay and how it's structured. Not every club is the same, not every club is reliant on gate money. Dump Junior Cup replays and you deal with some of the problems of congestion.

Summer football would kill Junior fitba quicker than the pyramid. Ludicrous idea without floodlights. No surprise TJ fancies it rather than dealing with the real issue.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Simply not true, depends what you pay and how it's structured. Not every club is the same, not every club is reliant on gate money. Dump Junior Cup replays and you deal with some of the problems of congestion.

Summer football would kill Junior fitba quicker than the pyramid. Ludicrous idea without floodlights. No surprise TJ fancies it rather than dealing with the real issue.

Summer football so you could play games in the evenings without floodlights, ludicrous idea that one.  I know you mean the end of season backlog.

Scrap Replays idea is a good one, barring Clydebank heading to Seniors the West are due to be playing a 30 game league season.  Good luck with that. 

There's 8 teams that have played less than 10 league games this season in the West and 24 less than a dozen, it's now March.   How are some of these Clubs going to cope in a 30 game league season?

Book out Toryglen and Ravenscraig November through to March or Summer football?  

17 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Despite the current weather, any move to summer football is far more likely to spark a mass exodus from the grade than any "come on in, the water's lovely" pep talk from within the current pyramid.

Well where would they go to?  Moving to the pyramid only benefits the bigger stronger clubs that could make it easy enough to the Lowland league and remain there.  For any smaller club North East or West Region the loss of local derbies, travel and cost would add up.

Edited by Unknown Fan