Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

On 9 June 2018 at 21:45, cmontheloknow said:

Every centre of population can at the upper end hope for about 10% of its population to watch a team regularly. This is most likely with the bigger sides, or teams from large towns / small cities up the pyramid. The ones in L1/2 drop into the low single figures. Of course, it's highly theoretical as being from a single town or area is not a qualification to support a side. Pollok as an example - I'd love to see a breakdown of where people at a run of the mill league game have come from. They won't all be walking distance from Newlandsfield, quite literally far from it.

If a Junior side can get say 5% of its population to a game it has not only  done very well but it is an achieveable target with greater profile. Every team entering SPFL L2 has seen a notable increase in attendance. There are people that, for whatever reason, will not watch non-league games.

Going by people i personally know that go to watch Pollok on an off/on basis, i'd say it's very much a South Side support added to by other fans of Junior/Senior clubs depending on games being called off/away. Thinking of the five people who all live within a 10 minute drive, furthest away is Clarkston. Also going by the five of them, two are recently retired and the other three are in full time employment. They age from 40 to mid 60s.

By South Side, it could be anything South of the River Clyde all the way to Mearns Cross. Same going East/West, could be anywhere from Cambuslang to Crookston. I'd say the bulk of the crowd drive to the ground. It's also one of the wealthiest Junior supports in Central Scotland.

1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

Going by people i personally know that go to watch Pollok on an off/on basis, i'd say it's very much a South Side support added to by other fans of Junior/Senior clubs depending on games being called off/away. Thinking of the five people who all live within a 10 minute drive, furthest away is Clarkston. Also going by the five of them, two are recently retired and the other three are in full time employment. They age from 40 to mid 60s.

By South Side, it could be anything South of the River Clyde all the way to Mearns Cross. Same going East/West, could be anywhere from Cambuslang to Crookston. I'd say the bulk of the crowd drive to the ground. It's also one of the wealthiest Junior supports in Central Scotland.

You're not wrong in what you say but on committee alone I can think of a handful of folk from outwith the city itself. I'd say the club has a pull well beyond the local and that the impression the club has made very locally is minor, e.g. lack of floating turnout for the cup final etc... Obviously the tie-up with Pollok United SA will have an impact on raising profile in that part of the city (ironically not the home patch!) but there's still (afaik) little impression made in Shawlands / Newlands beyond the core support.

23 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

You're not wrong in what you say but on committee alone I can think of a handful of folk from outwith the city itself. I'd say the club has a pull well beyond the local and that the impression the club has made very locally is minor, e.g. lack of floating turnout for the cup final etc... Obviously the tie-up with Pollok United SA will have an impact on raising profile in that part of the city (ironically not the home patch!) but there's still (afaik) little impression made in Shawlands / Newlands beyond the core support.

When you say "outside the city", how far out do you mean? East Kilbride? Or further?

12 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

When you say "outside the city", how far out do you mean? East Kilbride? Or further?

11 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Yeah you're talking those sort of distances and beyond.

East Kilbride and beyond? Sounds like the title of a wild life series.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/focus-on-local-football-juniors-clubs-could-not-be-convinced-1-4752203

Scottish Junior Football Association secretary Tom Johnston admits they didn’t do enough to convince Junior clubs in the east to stay, although he doesn’t know what more they could have done.

Junior football in the east has changed drastically with 24 clubs having signed up for the East of Scotland League as of next season. Every club east of West Lothian has departed, leaving behind an association mainly comprised of Fife and Tayside based clubs.

The format of the East Juniors for next season is still to be rubber-stamped by administrators, but the Evening News understands a regionalised structure of three leagues will be put in place.

Johnston, secretary of the SJFA, says Junior football still has a future, although he says they’ll learn a lot from the east exodus.

“We’ll just continue as we have done before,” said Johnston. “It might be a depleted East Region we have, but we are still very strong in the north and the west. We will continue as we have done previously.

“It’s disappointing to see all these clubs leaving, especially seeing as they have been around for a long, long time as Junior clubs. If that’s what they want to do... it’s really entirely up to them. We’ll focus on the teams that remain and we’ll march on.

“It seems to have been a kind of domino effect recently, a lot of clubs left because of others. I don’t know what we could have done about that. We’ll look at it and we’ll learn. From what remains, we’ll try and make that stronger.”

Johnston is confident west clubs won’t end up joining an equivalent league, with plans still in place to bring the Juniors in line with the SFA’s Pyramid.

He continued: “If we get in at tier 6 in the Pyramid, I don’t think there would be any requirement for them to leave. What they have got there in the west is a pretty strong organisation, so I don’t see the same applying in the west.

“We’ll learn from the situation in the east and we’ll make improvements and we’ll take it forward.

“Obviously we didn’t do enough to convince clubs to stay in the Juniors, but I don’t know what else we could have done. I went out and met the clubs and talked with them. Even up until the rest of the clubs started pulling out, we had conviction from them that they would continue. People changed their mind at the last minute, so I don’t know how we would have been expected to cater or cope with that.”

TJ says they'll learn from the exodus yet they'll also just continue on as before, and doesn't know what else they could've done. Oh and the propaganda obviously didn't work...

Edited by Ginaro

4 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/focus-on-local-football-juniors-clubs-could-not-be-convinced-1-4752203

TJ says they'll learn from the exodus yet they'll also just continue on as before, and doesn't know what else they could've done. Oh and the propaganda obviously didn't work...

Ironic he uses the domino analogy as he's clearly chapping for new ideas.

Keep calm, carry on and nothing to see here.

Until the same happens next year in the West.

Think the most interesting part of the article is actually this snippet:

...The format of the East Juniors for next season is still to be rubber-stamped by administrators, but the Evening News understands a regionalised structure of three leagues will be put in place...

14 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think the most interesting part of the article is actually this snippet:

...The format of the East Juniors for next season is still to be rubber-stamped by administrators, but the Evening News understands a regionalised structure of three leagues will be put in place...

I'd be astonished if the leagues were anything other than regionalised.  There have been occasions in the past - especially in the days of the 12 team superleague - where Tayside teams have had lots of trips to Fife and the Lothians but the make up of a region wide league would be really heavy for Fauldhouse. 

37 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

“We’ll just continue as we have done before,” said Johnston

That's why Junior football will be decimated again by West clubs leaving end of next season, plus more in the East. Quite incredible really.

Edited by Burnie_man

30 minutes ago, HTG said:

I'd be astonished if the leagues were anything other than regionalised.  There have been occasions in the past - especially in the days of the 12 team superleague - where Tayside teams have had lots of trips to Fife and the Lothians but the make up of a region wide league would be really heavy for Fauldhouse. 

What? All the way to Fife! Outrageous!

4 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

What? All the way to Fife! Outrageous!

I think that's a tad unfair and out of context. It's a decent trek from Carnoustie to Kelty  (as opposed to Tayport). The travel burden of a region wide league on Fauldhouse next season will be significant. They may be happy enough to do it though. 

How deep is his head in the sand? This is astonishing. Surely, regardless of your position on the pyramid and regardless whether or not you want your own club (if still junior) to move, everyone will agree that the SJFA needs to act now and make drastic improvements on how they are running the game?

1 hour ago, HTG said:

Agree to an extent but three leagues in parallel, if that's what the article implies, isn't so easy to put together given where the teams are distributed. West Lothian 9, Fife + Perth 11, Dundee, Angus + Tayport 16 would be how it fits into the three division regions that initially fed into the superleague.

1 hour ago, HTG said:

I think that's a tad unfair and out of context. It's a decent trek from Carnoustie to Kelty  (as opposed to Tayport).

About 50 miles. 65 minutes' drive according to Google.

If a club isn't willing to travel even to the next county, then perhaps they'll never commit to the pyramid.