Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thats an absolutely mental rule.

On the same level as the ridiculous rule that allowed club to skip a weekend in the Premier to play a friendly early on in the season.  Clearly set up for the Old Firm.

21 minutes ago, stanley said:

On the same level as the ridiculous rule that allowed club to skip a weekend in the Premier to play a friendly early on in the season.  Clearly set up for the Old Firm.

Rearrange these words to create a well known phrase or saying - houses, stones, people, glass, shouldn't, in, throw.

Don't know if anybody's broached it, recently got home after a long hospital stay.

I feel it would be good for the game to launch a Scotland wide knock-out cup competition for Non-League clubs akin to the FA Trophy and FA Vase in England.

As a nod to the part Junior football has played in Scottish football history and culture we could look into the logistics of the remnants of the Junior Game, the Senior Leagues and qualifying University and amateur sides competing nationally for the Scottish Junior Cup.

As a fan of a Junior team moving into the senior set-up the one thing I am going to miss is the Scottish, this could potentially retain it and acknowledge the part Junior football has played in the history and culture of the Scottish game.  It would also see a historic tournament adapted as the game changes but keep it's place in the game.

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

Welcome to this forum. Your comments about the need for an integrated pyramid are appreciated. 

Thanks Robert. If I am being honest I was playing devils advocate to a certain extent because, well, the Juniors don't do themselves any favours with things like making up the fixture list as they go along and they attract a lot of stick for things like that, but all the same I felt they still have something worth defending despite all their faults.

I agree with everything you wrote. The points about the NCL and SoSL are particularly relevant here. They don't have an inflated sense of self-importance which the SJFA appears to have (I'm making a distinction here between the SJFA and Junior clubs as a whole) and have positive relationships with the rest of the the Scottish league (albeit NCL isn't part of the pyramid).

I think the best thing to come of all of this is the ESOL's handling of it all. Dare I say they look like a model football association after all this. The almost went out of existence by agreeing to be a feeder league for the LL a few years ago and lost their best teams, plus later Easthouses and Craigroyston who ironically left for the juniors who they felt offered more games and a better standard at that time. A year ago they had what, 11 teams, before Kelty joined? Now they have 39. They've been welcoming of all newcomers, despite the inconvenience and organisational burden the sudden influx is going to cause, and kept everyone up to date with the essential info on their website in a timely fashion. Meanwhile, I was bemused to see the SFJA say absolutely nothing during the East region exodus except, after it was all over, "no-one can leave the league without giving a year's notice." A rule which they have failed to enforce on numerous occasions previously as other posters have demonstrated. The SFJA look incompetent at best and at worst, deliberately trying to scare clubs into not leaving the junior ranks.

There's clearly been a lot of bad craic gone back and forth between both sides. But the most lacking in much sense I have to say is the Juniorfitba twitter you mention. Passion is one thing but letting it cloud your judgement to that extent does nobody any favours. It's almost like a parody account.

Either way I think now is the time for the SJFA to take what is offered by the SFA and enter at tier 6 and save everyone a lot of hassle. Otherwise what has happened in the east will most likely happen again this time next year in the west.

Edited by Cameron Wilson

2 minutes ago, Killiepiyo said:

If clubs require a year notice, could they effectively barred from playing for a season if they go ahead and leave anyway?

Clubs do not require to give a years notice.

9 minutes ago, Killiepiyo said:

If clubs require a year notice, could they effectively be barred from playing for a season if they go ahead and leave anyway?

Clubs that have moved would just hire the first 16 people they find and put them out in the Junior leagues, thus making a mockery of said leagues - no way the SJFA would enforce it. Imagine Linlithgow v Bo'ness in the East Region next season and both teams put out their Under 17s teams just to fulfil fixtures they don't want to play.

12 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Clubs do not require to give a years notice.

It was in the daily record I’m sure I read it, Tom Johnston said something along the lines of he’d like to remind clubs they have to give a years notice. Hence my question, I’ll find the link when I’m back in the house.

It was in the daily record I’m sure I read it, Tom Johnston said something along the lines of he’d like to remind clubs they have to give a years notice. Hence my question, I’ll find the link when I’m back in the house.

Its been discussed to death, TJ is either misinterpreting the rule that says you have to give a years notice to move junior region on purpose or he’s incapable of understanding written words, the jury is still out as to what is the correct answer.

3 minutes ago, Killiepiyo said:

The Daily Record and TJ you say? 2 bastions of righteousness and honesty. :):)

1 hour ago, RobM said:

As a fan of a Junior team moving into the senior set-up the one thing I am going to miss is the Scottish, this could potentially retain it and acknowledge the part Junior football has played in the history and culture of the Scottish game.  It would also see a historic tournament adapted as the game changes but keep it's place in the game.

"Its place in the game" - do you mean almost entirely ignored by the media , and indeed everyone outside the Junior community?

12 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

"Its place in the game" - do you mean almost entirely ignored by the media , and indeed everyone outside the Junior community?

Getting a bit like the independence referendum now when the zealots on both sides started to become deeply off-putting and a third option of end the careers of the entire political class would have been very welcome. Of course something similar to the junior cup needs to still be in place in the years ahead. It will be interesting to see if the South Challenge Cup takes off now in interest terms now the likes of Bo'ness, Lithgae and Bonnyrigg Rose are on board. That's probably going to be the nucleus to build on.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

8 minutes ago, Killiepiyo said:

533 pages noo, apologies if I’m covering old ground it was just I read the article recently. 7th of June. "Clubs must give a period of 12 months to leave and we have reminded them of this.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/scotland/44400053?__twitter_impression=true

Once again,desperation stuff from TJ!!

While all the time its all about masking his utter incompetence!!

533 pages noo, apologies if I’m covering old ground it was just I read the article recently. 7th of June. "Clubs must give a period of 12 months to leave and we have reminded them of this.”
He's wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

12 minutes ago, Killiepiyo said:

That's fine, we've just had our season of non playing.

26 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Unsurprisingly no, are you suggesting that the Junior game has no place in the games' history in Scotland?

Just think it would be good to acknowledge that as the game moves forward.