Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

I don't think the junior cup being opened to senior clubs would work now.  Too late with so many clubs having moved and it would seem pointless.

Only way it would work is if eventually all the juniors move to the seniors and they bring the junior cup over because of its history and prestige.

2 hours ago, pie n beans said:

Bathgate are more than happy to play the local teams' ie south division teams, they have a very small hard working committee but with no money, playing local south division teams is where they are, people keep thinking that they are still in the same place financially as when they won the Scottish but unfortunately not and they have one of the best parks going.  

Yet gaining a licence would give a guaranteed £3000 a year from playing in the 'big' Scottish.  Even if there is a small initial outlay, over 10 years a miniumum of £30,000 comes in. The horizon's an opportunity.

4 minutes ago, stanley said:

I don't think the junior cup being opened to senior clubs would work now.  Too late with so many clubs having moved and it would seem pointless.

Only way it would work is if eventually all the juniors move to the seniors and they bring the junior cup over because of its history and prestige.

Can I just make it clear I’m not at all bitter about clubs leaving. I fully understood why Kelty moved over. They are an ambitious club who see their future elsewhere and good luck to them.  A couple of other top super league clubs with similar backgrounds eventually leaving over the next few years I could also understand. It is this constant ridicule of the junior grade by those that are leaving that pisses me off. It doesn’t matter to me what Bathgate decide to do, I will still turn up and watch whenever I can. 

Let me get this right , you’ve ridiculed TJ and the SJFA for the past year or so as part of your campaign to join the pyramid but now want to participate in the Junior cup?

Id disagree with you re ridicule as I believe the criticism is completely warranted but I wholeheartedly agree with you that only junior clubs should participate in the junior cup.

Let me get this right , you’ve ridiculed TJ and the SJFA for the past year or so as part of your campaign to join the pyramid but now want to participate in the Junior cup?

The Junior cup could be a better trophy if extended to all sfl clubs. Rename the trophy

21 minutes ago, Pow wow said:

Can I just make it clear I’m not at all bitter about clubs leaving. I fully understood why Kelty moved over. They are an ambitious club who see their future elsewhere and good luck to them.  A couple of other top super league clubs with similar backgrounds eventually leaving over the next few years I could also understand. It is this constant ridicule of the junior grade by those that are leaving that pisses me off. It doesn’t matter to me what Bathgate decide to do, I will still turn up and watch whenever I can. 

The ridicule is mainly aimed at the people running the SJFA (especially TJ), who couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.  That's not unreasonable imo. For the rest, I think it's good to have one non-league cup for all. There is still this artificial divide between "senior" and "junior" non-league, even though there is simply no real difference. Opening up the junior cup will help get rid of that artificial divide.

Edited by Marten

38 minutes ago, stanley said:

It probably is too late now but as a gesture a few years ago it would have made sense. SJFA could then have absorbed the remaining EOS and SOS clubs and been the organisation running all Tier 6 leagues in Scotland. 

It’s a shame though as the Junior Cup is weakened without the big east teams and the South Challenge Cup is weakened without many West based teams.

22 minutes ago, Pow wow said:

I don't think everyone leaving is ridiculing the junior grade.  There have been plenty of club statements that have been very positive respectful about the juniors and even a couple where it was pretty clear that they were reluctantly leaving because so many other clubs left.

A lot of ridicule has been aimed at TJ but he has made "promises" to clubs which have turned out to be false and it certainly sounds like he has ridiculed clubs for leaving such as Kelty.  You get a lot of loud voices shouting negatives at the other grade but most people leaving the juniors probably feel positive about it but feel it is time for change and many people commenting on it follow senior clubs (like me although I don't think I've ever ridiculed the juniors at all).

6 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Maybe thats the plan vollyman?

Heard it from one of Hartill's commitee.

Think its a bad idea maself but with whitburn's committee you just never know!!

Maybe they are providing the year's notice as a contingency plan, given there may be another exodus to the EoS next season?

3 hours ago, Owen Morgan said:

Remind me, how many watch this final?

Does it matter - considering normal attendance for run of the mill games, most of the Junior Cup supporters are once a blue moon hangers on - the stereotypical maw, paw and the weans. About 2000 watched Shortlees v Hurlford Thistle a few days back at the local public park... 

Screenshot_20180604-215732.png

IMG_6389.jpg

well done all those for turning out but I won't be comparing it to Nock v Cumnock or Kelty v LTHV in terms of prestige despite it being a bigger (allegdly) crowd than those two deciders.

Crowd numbers are not that important - although the Junior Cup FINAL does have the ability to get folk out.

Edited by cmontheloknow

Whether the ridicule of TJ is warranted or not is of no concern to me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My beef is that Burnieman/Pyramidic is now suggesting that us “diddy clubs” should allow non junior teams to participate in the holy grail. That’s like saying to  your employer “stick your job up your arse, so and so down the road have better working conditions and pay a pound an hour more. But I want to attend the staff night outs because they won’t be the same without me”.

1 hour ago, Talbot 78 said:
3 hours ago, Pyramidic said:
The introduction of Senior sides in the Junior Cup seems such a sensible move to build up consensus and cooperation.  Who on earth would be opposed to such a move in the Junior hierarchy and what would be their reasons? Sorry if I appear naive.

Scrap the Challenge Cup and use the Junior cup as the SFL Trophy.

If you are changing name howas an it still be junior cup. Could aswell saying the challenge cup and add junior teams. Problem with junior cup it causes so much disruption and is why league runs into june

5 minutes ago, Pow wow said:

Whether the ridicule of TJ is warranted or not is of no concern to me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My beef is that Burnieman/Pyramidic is now suggesting that us “diddy clubs” should allow non junior teams to participate in the holy grail. That’s like saying to  your employer “stick your job up your arse, so and so down the road have better working conditions and pay a pound an hour more. But I want to attend the staff night outs because they won’t be the same without me”.

Why would Burnieman have an alias?

23 hours ago, Pow wow said:

My beef is that Burnieman/Pyramidic is now suggesting that us “diddy clubs” should allow non junior teams to participate in the holy grail. 

If it's 'the Holy Grail' then why has the SJFA consistently failed to find a sponsor that provides more than two bob to fund it?

The market has quite clearly spoken and an opportunity for a big Ayrshire day out is nowhere near as big or important as you think it is.

Edited by vikingTON