Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

5 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Will there be a ceremonial sod cutting on the new £150k toilet block.

Already there, but we need to add a urinal to each dressing room which will cost £50k each.  You can come along and officially open them with an inaugural pish if you like?

12 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Can I just add that it's to be good weather this weekend.

Isa

You could post that you've just donated 50k to  charity and the usual suspects would still red dot you.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

How is generally the feeling at the club about this step? Obviously, your position is well known, but are there many people who are against it?

I work with a guy who plays for their under 19s and be playing in their under 20s next season and the move seems positive with the way he talks. To the point I wish ours was as positive

58 minutes ago, santheman said:

Isa

You could post that you've just donated 50k to  charity and the usual suspects would still red dot you.

Must be doing something right, eh?;)

You haven't tried a single jot beyond the "its the juniors" refrain, which isn't in any way a reasonable response to the question that has repeatedly been put to you.

I'm beginning to think you know there aren't any positives to staying Junior.

...and there are 160 clubs in the Juniors, that may have something to do with why its so busy compared to say the LL which has 16.

11 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Its not beyond impossible that one, maybe two former Junior clubs will reach the Scottish Premiership within 10-15 years. Auchinleck Talbot would be one of the clubs who have the potential to achieve this.

Let's not get carried away.

25 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Its not beyond impossible that one, maybe two former Junior clubs will reach the Scottish Premiership within 10-15 years. Auchinleck Talbot would be one of the clubs who have the potential to achieve this.

Nothing is impossible, highly unlikely though without a sugar daddy with very deep pockets.

League One is a more realistic pinnacle.

On 18 May 2018 at 14:18, Snafu said:

Works both ways.

Hamilton Accies look a good bet within that 10/15 year range to arrive in the LL.

Edited by Glenconner

The town of Ayr has continually failed to put a credible senior team together for over 100 years; quite why anyone expects one of their county's bumpkin villages to do any better from tier 7 or 8 is a mystery.

Edited by vikingTON

7 hours ago, Marten said:

How is generally the feeling at the club about this step? Obviously, your position is well known, but are there many people who are against it?

My laddie plays for the club and is really looking forward to the move. He came through the boys club and would have loved a U20s league, is looking forward to playing at new grounds and is hoping for a chance to play in the big Scottish in the future

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

The town of Ayr has continually failed to put a credible senior team together for over 100 years; quite why anyone expects one of their county's bumpkin villages to do any better form tier 7 or 8 is a mystery.

I don't think most Talbot fans think it, which is one of the reasons why most on this thread prefer to stay Junior. Everyone else simply looks at them as being one of the best part-time teams in the country. That's enough to get them to League One, possibly the Championship. Then all you have to do is throw some money at it like a Ross County or Gretna.

The town of Ayr has continually failed to put a credible senior team together for over 100 years; quite why anyone expects one of their county's bumpkin villages to do any better form tier 7 or 8 is a mystery.

“form” ?

IMG_6415.jpg

Those talking about how a club like Talbot, or one of the traditional top Junior clubs, would do if they joined a pyramid.

Based on what? They’d maybe have the potential to do that, Stranraer/Cowden and Brechin have had very good squads with shitey crowds and same goes for Alloa at the moment.

I hope you aren’t talking about their current squad though, it looks absolutely horrendous. Full of ex jobbers from clubs like Albion, Montrose, East Stirling and Ayr under 20s. Lyle was a decent L2 full back a few year ago at Stenny but other than that I don’t see what would make you think they’d be better than any side currently in L2 never mind one of the top sides in League One

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Based on what? They’d maybe have the potential to do that, Stranraer/Cowden and Brechin have had very good squads with shitey crowds and same goes for Alloa at the moment.

I hope you aren’t talking about their current squad though, it looks absolutely horrendous. Full of ex jobbers from clubs like Albion, Montrose, East Stirling and Ayr under 20s. Lyle was a decent L2 full back a few year ago at Stenny but other than that I don’t see what would make you think they’d be better than any side currently in L2 never mind one of the top sides in League One

I realise now I used "part-time team" in the first response. But my meaning was only intended about the club due to the support and existing infrastructure.

I would never assume a club gaining promotion from a lower league would be able to compete without significant turnover in squad. Especially multiple leagues that Talbot would have to go through.

Even if I was daft enough to think the current squad was capable of such a feat as being competitive in League One, there would have to be the awareness of at best 4-5 years just to get there which would mean turnover in the squad as you can't beat time.

Blackburn are not my home town team but I for one applaud them for their bold step and look forward to getting to some of the games next season as it's something new for the area and quite exciting.
I don't think I'll be the only one who is curious to see how it goes and it might just add some numbers through the gate.