Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Rightly so, but I reckon most teams wouldn't bat an eyelid if it got binned altogether.

It's just one of those competitions that's outstayed its welcome and people are bored with, certainly in its current format - as I said, if teams are desperate to hang to a local rivalry they can always play for bragging rights in pre-season...the likes of Lanark and the Gow who you mentioned already do in that Clydesdale Cup thing.

Certainly in Lanarkshire at least these games still carry a lot of appeal. Larkhall v Royal Albert and Lesmahagow are  still two of our biggest gates of the season as they attract a lot of neutrals.

Would be a shame to see them go.

34 minutes ago, santheman said:

Certainly in Lanarkshire at least these games still carry a lot of appeal. Larkhall v Royal Albert and Lesmahagow are  still two of our biggest gates of the season as they attract a lot of neutrals.

Would be a shame to see them go.

But as the teams are of a similar standard right now, these games can occur as league fixtures (ok not this or next season but if you'd gone down and Gow hadn't all three would be in same division), and as noted also could be used as pre-season matches.

Should aso be noted that league-format cups haven't vanished in the pyramid.  The EoS dare I say it still has one for example.

Edited by cmontheloknow

55 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

But as the teams are of a similar standard right now, these games can occur as league fixtures (ok not this or next season but if you'd gone down and Gow hadn't all three would be in same division), and as noted also could be used as pre-season matches.

Should aso be noted that league-format cups haven't vanished in the pyramid.  The EoS dare I say it still has one for example.

But the point I was making was that if some teams left to join a WOSL and some chose to remain with the SJFA then these games could disappear forever. That's why I would prefer an all  in scenario if it's going to happen so these local derbies are not lost.

10 minutes ago, santheman said:

But the point I was making was that if some teams left to join a WOSL and some chose to remain with the SJFA then these games could disappear forever...

Hopefully that doesn't happen and sanity prevails with the west and north superleagues becoming tier 6 feeders, but it sounds like the LL and HL have other ideas and that they can effectively dictate what takes shape below them, unfortunately.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

19 minutes ago, santheman said:

But the point I was making was that if some teams left to join a WOSL and some chose to remain with the SJFA then these games could disappear forever. That's why I would prefer an all  in scenario if it's going to happen so these local derbies are not lost.

Honestly, I think if some go, all go. Maybe not all at once but in quick succession.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

Clubs can indeed just not apply for a license to avoid promotion. Mandatory promotion from LL to SPFL should be in place for a proper pyramid (with more relegation places from SPFL).  I would like to see 3 relegation places from LL. To prevent teams blocking promotion, the highest eligible teams from both WOS & EOS should get promoted together with a play-off winner. If a licensed team turns down promotion, they lose the license and can only qualify for the Scottish cup via qualifying routes. In that way all teams can be in the pyramid.

SoSFL champions excluded from LL play-off  under your proposal ??

It appears that the West Juniors don't consider that SOSFL clubs should be included in a WoSL pyramid feeder league, if/when is it is formed. The existing West Super League will have 16 clubs in the Juniors' new set up for 2018/19.

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

SoSFL champions excluded from LL play-off  under your proposal ??

It appears that the West Juniors don't consider that SOSFL clubs should be included in a WoSL pyramid feeder league, if/when is it is formed. The existing West Super League will have 16 clubs in the Juniors' new set up for 2018/19.

In my opinion, the new WoSFL should invite SoSFL & West Superleague teams. The remaining teams in both leagues can then be feeders to the WoSFL. The area that the SoSFL serves is too small to be a LL feeder league in itself and I can imagine that most teams in the league don't fancy long trips to current West Superleague teams, so they can keep playing each other.

Edited by Marten

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Perhaps some cups in HL/LL/EoS/SoS area would need to be dumped or amended to accommodate these extra fixtures. Would they be interested?

Don't the SoS/Eos currently have cups for non-licensed members who aren't in the big Scottish? Would be fairly easy to have these cups (or a replacement version) for clubs who have been papped out of the Junior Cup (or whatever our version of the FA Trophy would be) in the 2nd half of the season. As much as an "all in" cup would be mostly welcomed Dalbeattie getting knocked out by Hermes or Deveronside travelling all day to get papped out by Tweedale will mean it just cost clubs money. Having a back up competition would, hopefully, lessen that worry.

1 minute ago, Marten said:

In my opinion, the new WoSFL should invite SoSFL & West Superleague teams. The remaining teams in both leagues can then be feeders to the WoSFL. The area that the SoSFL serves is too small to be a LL feeder league in itself and I can imagine that most teams in the league don't fancy long trips to current West Superleague team, so they can keep playing each other.

Absolutely - they need to be part of the process and at least need to be invited. There are a couple of teams who possibly would be interested - the majority I suspect though will be content to continue where they are at the moment, being both wary of the travelling involved and all too aware of their relative strength on the field to most of the sides they'd be coming up against.

10 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Can I just add that it's to be good weather this weekend.

Got to be..there is some sort of wedding in  London..Early kick offs to watch it?

It was a lovely night at the Livingston game last night, should be nice tomorrow for our last home game as Juniors. Free entry to mark the occasion as well so more money for pies and a cornetto.

Edited by Burnie_man

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

It was a lovely night at the Livingston game last night, should be nice tomorrow for our last home game as Juniors. Free entry to mark the occasions as well so more money for pies and a cornetto.

Nice gesture by the club.....Well done.

30 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

It was a lovely night at the Livingston game last night, should be nice tomorrow for our last home game as Juniors. Free entry to mark the occasion as well so more money for pies and a cornetto.

No you get all emotional and start greeting mind :thumsup2

34 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

How is generally the feeling at the club about this step? Obviously, your position is well known, but are there many people who are against it?

6 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

No you get all emotional and start greeting mind :thumsup2

I was at our first Junior game in 1980 (as a lad of course), but will miss our last next week as I'll be away, so this is it. Greeting into my Cornetto.

Edited by Burnie_man

4 minutes ago, Marten said:

How is generally the feeling at the club about this step? Obviously, your position is well known, but are there many people who are against it?

I've only spoken to one person who is dubious about it.  I think it was unanimous amongst the committee, the "auld guard" retired a few years ago.

I've really enjoyed our Premierleague experience this season and finishing top 6 would be tremendous for a club like ours so it'll will be sad to leave that behind, but I think it will only be temporary, we'll all meet again.

11 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I was at our first Junior game in 1980 (as a lad of course), but will miss our last next week as I'll be away, so this is it. Greeting into my Cornetto.

Will there be a ceremonial sod cutting on the new £150k toilet block.