Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Why do the Juniors always refer to themselves as a "grade"? They don't seem to meet any normal definition of the word.

Football has been hierarchical since God was a boy, with the Premier League or old First Division as the top "grade". The juniors have always stood aside from all that, and by doing so have avoided being "graded".

31 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Pretty much yeah. Junior football's strength has always been its collectiveness and togetherness. The grade has been united since the 1930s. Right now the superleagues have equal status even though North is miles behind in terms of onfield standard and basic infrastructure (with Hermes and Banks o' Dee the only sides who can consistently perform reasonably in the Junior Cup). To follow your example, they wouldn't be on the same level under any definition.

Should the Junior superleagues still be able to provide a Scottish Cup route winners even though in some cases you're talking about them being well down the ladder? It is just messy IMO to go down that route. A tier 7 West side but a tier 8 East side? Why not the West's tier 8 side? If the EoS had not expanded, it may have been simpler - have one level of effectively 'intermediate' divisions below the LL and HL. Junior beneath that.

It will be interesting to see what is left of the SJFA if the WoSFL does form.

Someone has to run those leagues, so why not the organisation that has done so for 132 years? Football is all about sentiment, if clubs and fans want to retain the SJFA it can still have a future inside the pyramid, but it couldn't be at the same tier across the country.

The Scottish Cup places for winning those leagues would obviously have to go. As for the Junior Cup, I would love to see that as an all-in competition for everyone below tier 4. If that can't be achieved then clubs in the senior set-up could retain their SJFA membership to play in it. It would be a bit weird but if it's what people want, why not.

10 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Why does the SJFA need to exist at all in that scenario? tiers 8-10 in the East would be run by the EoS, why wouldn't it be? same with the other Regions.

The SJFA will only continue to be relevant for as long as the Junior game exists as a seperate grade.

That's not axiomatic. There's no reason at all that the SJFA couldn't be the organisers of leagues, just as the EoS is talking about being the organisers of a WoS league. It feels like you just want to dance on the SJFA's grave.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's not axiomatic. There's no reason at all that the SJFA couldn't be the organisers of leagues, just as the EoS is talking about being the organisers of a WoS league. It feels like you just want to dance on the SJFA's grave.

You didn't answer the question, why would the East of Scotland League not run all levels of the Pyramid below tier 5 in the east?  Why would a future WoSFL not do likewise in the west?  why would you want to add more blazerati to the mix? As the PWG told TJ, the pyramid exists in the east already so your clubs can join it, and they will start the process of setting-up a similar league in the west, with the help of the EoS who wont be running it long term.

You seem to want to find ways of keeping the SJFA relevant, the only way that happens is if the Junior game continues and at the moment, it seems it will as not everyone will want to join the pyramid. Absolutely fine, there's no grave to dance on.

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

You didn't answer the question, why would the East of Scotland League not run all levels of the Pyramid below tier 5 in the east?  Why would a future WoSFL not do likewise in the west?  why would you want to add more blazerati to the mix? As the PWG told TJ, the pyramid exists in the east already so your clubs can join it, and they will start the process of setting-up a similar league in the west, with the help of the EoS who wont be running it long term.

Eh, because the clubs who would be added to both east and west are all Juniors right now, so it's making use of the existing "blazers" instead of asking the EoS to find new "blazers".

It's completely normal in many countries that when they're building a pyramid, they bolt-on the existing organisations to the overall structure. You seem to want to take a top-down approach.

You seem to want to find ways of keeping the SJFA relevant, the only way that happens is if the Junior game continues and at the moment, it seems it will as not everyone will want to join the pyramid. Absolutely fine, there's no grave to dance on.

If you actually wanted to entice the rest of the Juniors into the pyramid, you would want to keep the SJFA relevant too. Instead you just call anyone you disagree with dinosaurs and blazers.

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Nobody has missed the SFL

I'm not sure if you're being serious?

Assuming you are, the SPFL is exactly the same as the SFL was before the top clubs left to form the SPL in the late 90s. Sentiment for the old SFL is part of what led to the clubs coming together again to form the SPFL.

Also, if you manage to find one organisation that has fallen by the way side, it doesn't negate the fact that sentiment is a huge part of football. I can't believe any football fan would even try to argue with that.

It's said that all the SJFA itself really does is run the Junior Cup and the International side. So before the Superleagues were formed were the leagues operated by a WRSJFA, ERSJFA & NRSJFA or was it the Central SJFA, Ayrshire SJFA...etc

And if it was the individual areas, what's wrong with a further rebranding to integrate into the pyramid?

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Eh, because the clubs who would be added to both east and west are all Juniors right now, so it's making use of the existing "blazers" instead of asking the EoS to find new "blazers".

It's completely normal in many countries that when they're building a pyramid, they bolt-on the existing organisations to the overall structure. You seem to want to take a top-down approach.

If you actually wanted to entice the rest of the Juniors into the pyramid, you would want to keep the SJFA relevant too. Instead you just call anyone you disagree with dinosaurs and blazers.

You still didn't answer the question (rather than have a go at me, answer the points being raised).

The EoS wouldn't need new blazers, they already have a board who are more than competent enough to handle an increase in size of the league, and they dont need to entice anyone to join either, they didn't entice any of the 13 clubs who are already moving.

The SJFA have no relevance in the east and they will not join the pyramid as an entity at all anywhere.  They will stick to what they have always done, organise the Junior game.

I'm not sure if you're being serious?

Assuming you are, the SPFL is exactly the same as the SFL was before the top clubs left to form the SPL in the late 90s.

It absolutely isn't the same as it was pre-spl. Voting structures, prize money distribution, completion formats, how promotion and relegation works... all entirely different to where we were 30 years ago

3 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

You still didn't answer the question (rather than have a go at me, answer the points being raised).

The EoS wouldn't need new blazers, they already have a board who are more than competent enough to handle an increase in size of the league, and they dont need to entice anyone to join either, they didn't entice any of the 13 clubs who are already moving.

The SJFA have no relevance in the east and they will not join the pyramid as an entity at all anywhere.  They will stick to what they have always done, organise the Junior game.

Who runs the SoS?  There's no reason why the EoS would run the WoS. You could just as easily conclude that the LL should run Tier 5 and down. But they don't. So the option for a WoS board to be created to run autonomously within a pyramid seems feasible enough to me. And if the WoS league is predominantly teams currently in junior football, then the current West Juniors mgt committee could run it. That may feel conflicting and I guess depends on whether they are jumping in en masse or not. 

1 minute ago, HTG said:

Who runs the SoS?  There's no reason why the EoS would run the WoS. You could just as easily conclude that the LL should run Tier 5 and down. But they don't. So the option for a WoS board to be created to run autonomously within a pyramid seems feasible enough to me. And if the WoS league is predominantly teams currently in junior football, then the current West Juniors mgt committee could run it. That may feel conflicting and I guess depends on whether they are jumping in en masse or not. 

I guess the board of the SoS run that league. The EoS will probably provide support and guidance in the setting-up of a new WoS, I very much doubt they will actually run it, I'm sure they can find competent people amongst the clubs joining to take on the various roles required, maybe even some current WRJFA management committee if their clubs join.

Would the West Region clubs move en-masse to form the new WoSFL? possible, but I have my doubts.

6 minutes ago, HTG said:

East of scotland have offered to start a w.o.s.league.adapt their rules.need at least 12 clubs to start but none have come forward.

45 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

They "folded" to faciliate unity in the professional game, for the greater good.  Similar parrallels here.....

By going back to exactly the same thing that had been formed in 1890.

By going back to exactly the same thing that had been formed in 1890.

It's not exactly the same thing, as parsforlife pointed out.

So back to my main question, why wouldn't the EoS run all tiers of the Pyramid below tier 5, why would it need SJFA involvement?  cutting down bureaucracy and the amount of puffed up blazers is surely a good thing without adding a completely seperate Association into the mix, right?

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

Why do the Juniors always refer to themselves as a "grade"? They don't seem to meet any normal definition of the word.

Football has been hierarchical since God was a boy, with the Premier League or old First Division as the top "grade". The juniors have always stood aside from all that, and by doing so have avoided being "graded".

In the beginning there were Seniors and Juniors. It probably started from there! The SJFA itself dates back to 1886 (4 years pre-SFL, in a world of cup football and friendies) but there were Junior FAs in existence before that - the SJFA was formed to bring some sort of order to it all (afaik) and to have the national cup running as well.

50 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It absolutely isn't the same as it was pre-spl. Voting structures, prize money distribution, completion formats, how promotion and relegation works... all entirely different to where we were 30 years ago

42 member clubs playing in four divisions, running the league cup and development leagues. Yeah, totally different...

The rest is just plumbing. Or are you one of these people who think English football started in 1992?

I honestly think you're just arguing for the sake of it, and I'm not getting dragged into nonsense.

15 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

It's not exactly the same thing, as parsforlife pointed out.

So back to my main question, why wouldn't the EoS run all tiers of the Pyramid below tier 5, why would it need SJFA involvement?  cutting down bureaucracy and the amount of puffed up blazers is surely a good thing without adding a completely seperate Association into the mix, right?

He's wrong, and I answered you.

He's wrong, and I answered you.

He's spot on, the SPFL are a whole lot different from how the SFL operated pre-SPL.

You didn't answer the question at all, but we'll leave it there as it's pointless anyway, the SJFA aren't entering the pyramid.