Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

Talbot would be running about with all those ridiculous stars around their badge for winning something that no longer exists :lol:

At least they have the right to show them off...because they won the Holy Grail fair and square that number of times.....give them some credit..the rest of us can only  look in wonder......Most clubs that win the junior cup or the Super League embrioder their merchandise with gold stars.....Why pick on Talbot.?

1 minute ago, HTG said:

With the best will in the world "seriously doubt" isn't worth a candle if the SoS team does want to go up.  Threave could have opted out of the play off this year if they didn't fancy it. If Dalbeattie had gone down they'd be favourites to bounce right back. 

I think the EoS needs clarity that it's got 2 guaranteed promotion spots. Or one and a play off at worst. They haven't got anything like that assurance. Tier 6 is tier 6 is tier 6.

Well they wont know until the LL AGM pass it, then they sit down with the SoS and agree a format.  The other scenario could be the EoS Champions get an automatic spot, and the runners-up play-off with the SoS Champions.  I don't think it will be a straight promotion of the two Champions.

They'd also need a contingency if some of those at the top are not Licenced as it could be a bit embarrassing if, after having gone to 2 spots, none of the contenders are Licenced.

6 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Well they wont know until the LL AGM pass it, then they sit down with the SoS and agree a format.  The other scenario could be the EoS Champions get an automatic spot, and the runners-up play-off with the SoS Champions.  I don't think it will be a straight promotion of the two Champions.

They'd also need a contingency if some of those at the top are not Licenced as it could be a bit embarrassing if, after having gone to 2 spots, none of the contenders are Licenced.

Think the option of overall EoS champion gets automatic promotion, with the other section winner playing off with the SoS Champion would be the best solution for next year. If all are licenced of course.

Then the following year a WoS will hopefully be set up and it can be an automatic promotion for them and automatic promotion for the EoS champion.

I'm just making the point that most of this is speculation. The SoS may be no happier about prioritising the EoS than the EoS are about an East Junior tier 6. It's all in the wait and see category. Logical assumptions are fine but the SoS may not wish to concern itself  with expansion in the east. 

I'm just making the point that most of this is speculation. The SoS may be no happier about prioritising the EoS than the EoS are about an East Junior tier 6. It's all in the wait and see category. Logical assumptions are fine but the SoS may not wish to concern itself  with expansion in the east. 

Aye we know its speculation, we're just discussing possible scenarios, but if I was a betting man, the EoS will have the chance to promote 2 clubs at the end of next season.

With the best will in the world "seriously doubt" isn't worth a candle if the SoS team does want to go up.  Threave could have opted out of the play off this year if they didn't fancy it. If Dalbeattie had gone down they'd be favourites to bounce right back. 
I think the EoS needs clarity that it's got 2 guaranteed promotion spots. Or one and a play off at worst. They haven't got anything like that assurance. Tier 6 is tier 6 is tier 6.

I don't believe you can opt out. Promotion (or entry to the playoffs to play due promotion) is mandatory if you meet the criteria.

Is it too early to talk about player retention or movement amongst the teams moving from the junior ranks or is it..an assumption..that all are happy and signed up..or are we going to see some horse trading and maybe the cheque books coming back out with cash for ..signing on fees....appearance bonuses...clean sheets..so much a goal or any of the old chestnuts that were  the bread and butter of players a few seasons ago...it could be dog eat dog in the first season...or has player loyalty crept back silently.  and I haven't noticed it?

Edited by Guest
REPEATING MYSELF OUT OF SINC.

13 minutes ago, BENJI BOY said:

Is it too early to talk about player retention or movement amongst the teams moving from the junior ranks or is it..an assumption..that all are happy and signed up..or are we going to see some horse trading and maybe the cheque books coming back out with cash for ..signing on fees....appearance bonuses...clean sheets..so much a goal or any of the old chestnuts that were  the bread and butter of players a few seasons ago...it could be dog eat dog in the first season...or has player loyalty crept back silently.  and I haven't noticed it?

'Twas ever thus...

It's not going to change an awful lot I'd've thought. Some clubs will splash the cash, possibly overspend, offer 'incentives'. Others won't. This'll be on both sides of the great divide.

12 minutes ago, BENJI BOY said:

There have been plenty of players announced as re-signing with clubs since they've either made a public announcement or were heavily linked with the EoS.

I doubt we'll see much difference than what you usually see every summer.

43 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

I don't believe you can opt out. Promotion (or entry to the playoffs to play due promotion) is mandatory if you meet the criteria.

Hence why Wigtown are widely believed to have deliberately avoided winning the SoS championship last season. Given no licensed EoS champion was available for a playoff,  it would have meant automatic promotion to the LL.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

35 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I doubt we'll see much difference than what you usually see every summer.

Except for those clubs joining the EoS from the SJFA, no need to go through the archaic "re-instatement" procedure if signing a senior player.

29 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Hence why Wigtown are widely believed to have deliberately avoided winning the SoS championship last season. Given no licensed EoS champion was available for a playoff,  it would have meant automatic promotion to the LL.

One of the major failings of the current set-up is it hasn't learned any recent football lessons.  Making clubs over-reach themselves is stupid and you must never force them to become less competitive just to avoid a promotion that may financially cripple them.

In my opinion, it makes sense to change that so clubs can turn down promotion. As long as that's combined with a rule that the best team that want it get a chance of promotion. That would make it easier to form a pyramid without clubs having to worry about not being able to afford promotion or something like that. If the likes of Auchinleck Talbot (for example) want to keep playing at the level where they are, they should be able to, as long as they don't block the route for others imo. Same could go for the north, if the NCL becomes a feeder to the HL, I can imagine some clubs not wanting promotion even if they are licensed. Imagine Orkney being forced to go to the HL and having to travel to Aberdeenshire or even as far as Dundee (if any of the teams there would end up in the HL). They would have a legitimate reason for not wanting to get promoted as the travel costs could be extreme.

5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Except for those clubs joining the EoS from the SJFA, no need to go through the archaic "re-instatement" procedure if signing a senior player.

How many junior clubs will be caught out this year if they sign a player from one of those moving to the EoS?

11 minutes ago, Marten said:

In my opinion, it makes sense to change that so clubs can turn down promotion. As long as that's combined with a rule that the best team that want it get a chance of promotion. That would make it easier to form a pyramid without clubs having to worry about not being able to afford promotion or something like that. If the likes of Auchinleck Talbot (for example) want to keep playing at the level where they are, they should be able to, as long as they don't block the route for others imo. Same could go for the north, if the NCL becomes a feeder to the HL, I can imagine some clubs not wanting promotion even if they are licensed. Imagine Orkney being forced to go to the HL and having to travel to Aberdeenshire or even as far as Dundee (if any of the teams there would end up in the HL). They would have a legitimate reason for not wanting to get promoted as the travel costs could be extreme.

The fact that the NCL champion doesn't currently qualify for the Scottish Cup, suggests that the lessons have been learned from simply adding the SoS/EoS beneath the Lowland. The NCL shouldn't be a direct feeder to the Highland.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The fact that the NCL champion doesn't currently qualify for the Scottish Cup, suggests that the lessons have been learned from simply adding the SoS/EoS beneath the Lowland. The NCL shouldn't be a direct feeder to the Highland.

I agree, but its champion club should be invited to enter the Scottish each year.

Clubs in this league do not participate in the SFA Amateur club, but Golspie, and others in the past, have entered the (senior) Scottish Cup when they have been SFA Members (eg Wick Academy, Fort William, Brora) prior to joining the HFL. 

5 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I agree, but its champion club should be invited to enter the Scottish each year.

Clubs in this league do not participate in the SFA Amateur club, but Golspie, and others in the past, have entered the (senior) Scottish Cup when they have been SFA Members (eg Wick Academy, Fort William, Brora) prior to joining the HFL. 

Whilst the PWG discuss Junior clubs integration, perhaps the NCL should form part of the solution for North Junior clubs, perhaps as a region of a new NoSFL.  That would bring them into the Pyramid and therefore Licencing.

Just now, Robert James said:

I think they should as well. Especially as the Amateur Cup winners & the Lowland Cup Winner's Cup winners get in these days.

I was mentioning them not getting Scottish Cup entry as more of a sign of how the league is regarded by the SFA (it's not). So it shouldn't be a direct feeder to the HL as it is not strong enough or geographically diverse enough.

Tier 5 = Highland League

Tier 6 = NoSFL

Tier 7 = NCL (Highland District),  Grampian District, Tayside District

or

Tier 5 = Highland League

Tier 6 = NoSFL Premier

Tier 7 = NoSFL West, NoSFL East

Tier 8 = NCL (Highland District),  Grampian District, Tayside District