Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

36 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

I’d imagine there will be 3 Stirling Uni teams composed exclusively of students that play in competitions against other unis on a Wednesday afternoon. The “University” teams that play on a Saturday whether amateur, senior wherever could presumably sign and play anyone they wanted - could be students, alumni or the simply the best players who’ll sign for them. I’d imagine most will play students as far as possible though. 

Edinburgh University I don't know about other than they do seem to have some guys playing for years for them.

Stirling Uni though - all of their 1st XI are students... courses here: https://www.stir.ac.uk/sport-at-stirling/performance-sport/football-men/athleteprofiles/

As a Junior fan who has grave reservations about the pyramid and would genuinely rather not see his club in League Two as it is currently formed, I can live with and see the benefits of what you've set out. The pyramid is happening and I'd go with what you've described. My remaining concerns would be about the number of promotion places, the cups and the north. Though the idea of playing Edusport Academy or BSC "Glasgow" leaves me cold, a single division with, for example, Talbot, Cumnock, Glenafton, Beith, Pollok, Clydebank, Ladeside, Linlithgow, Bonnyrigg, Bo'ness, Kelty, EK, East Stirling, Spartans, Gretna and LTHV would be really attractive. But there needs to be enough promotion/relegation places between tiers 5 and 6, at least in the transition years. You can't have the top Junior sides and the better EoS sides scrapping it out at Tier 6 for one promotion place.

I think we need to hear more voices from the north about what solution would suit them, because I'm not sure they've worked out what they want.

Personally I'm not convinced by needing to obtain a licence for Tier 6 but it's definitely no deal-breaker.

Lastly, don't forget the cups. I think it would be great if the Junior Cup was opened up to everyone in Tier 5 down, and the Junior regional cups (East, West, North, maybe some others) opened up in the same way. There are no non-league cups with the heritage of those Junior competitions, and with the Juniors going to join the senior leagues it would make it less of a take-over and more palatable to have the seniors join the Junior cups.

Personally I’d suggest the solution for the North is firstly make the HL 16 teams to match the LL at Tier 5. Then at Tier 6 as it’s a big area so split it geographically say somewhere between Inverness and Aberdeen (Buckie maybe) everyone West / North of the line forms the Caledonian leagues (NCL and North Juniors) everyone East / South of the line forms the Grampian leagues (North Juniors and East Juniors north of Tay bridge) have 1.5 promotion spots in each league. 3 down from HL or 2 and a playoff spot.

Your suggestion of keeping the Junior cup is spot on make it the cup for all teams Tier 5 down, it’s got a lot of history so keep the name for that reason as you say less of a takeover more a merger. Regional cups could be looked at too.

Big thing we need to get away from is the Junior / Senior divide. A merger is the best way to go where we all become just football teams.

46 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

2nds 3rds 4ths are students, while the 1sts are (mostly?) on sports scholarships - still students though...

This link shows what courses the 1st XI do:

https://www.stir.ac.uk/sport-at-stirling/performance-sport/football-men/athleteprofiles/

Their previous clubs show why they're where they are in LL.

There are at least 2 players they had playing in the LL when I saw them earlier this season who aren't on that page who aren't students.  One of whom they signed from Camelon.

Edited by drs

27 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Probably, because I didn't play !

Again seriously, you didn't answer my point about games against the 2 Varsity teams in the Lowland League.  During the last 50 years or so, these two Unis, and GU were usually on a par, as has been demonstrated by the UK national and Scottish league/cup tournament results for Universities.

Universities have decent sports budgets and facilities which, dare I say it, are better than your average non league club. Stirling & Edinburgh appointed experienced coaches, which they needed to compete in the Lowland League. GU to date, hasn't needed to do so, although IF they did join a West feeder League, this would be necessary. If you doubt this, have a look at the development at Heriot Watt University's campus (in the EoS).  

The university league teams are not necessarily the same though - Glasgow Uni 1sts play in the same division as Stirling 2nds - the EOS side. 

https://www.bucs.org.uk/BucsCore/TeamProfile.aspx?id=1719&sport=Football&institution=University of Stirling

6 minutes ago, drs said:

There are at least 2 players they had playing in the LL when I saw them earlier this season who aren't on that page who aren't students.  One of whom they signed from Camelon.

Was it David O'Brien? He's U20 coach at Stirling.

Obviously though, they are after quality players in general with scholarships being one means of getting them https://www.stir.ac.uk/sport-at-stirling/performance-sport/scholarships-and-funding/

Edited by cmontheloknow

33 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Probably, because I didn't play !

Again seriously, you didn't answer my point about games against the 2 Varsity teams in the Lowland League.  During the last 50 years or so, these two Unis, and GU were usually on a par, as has been demonstrated by the UK national and Scottish league/cup tournament results for Universities.

Universities have decent sports budgets and facilities which, dare I say it, are better than your average non league club. Stirling & Edinburgh appointed experienced coaches, which they needed to compete in the Lowland League. GU to date, hasn't needed to do so, although IF they did join a West feeder League, this would be necessary. If you doubt this, have a look at the development at Heriot Watt University's campus (in the EoS).  

Cmontheloknow answered the question.

6 hours ago, bluebell1 said:

Burnie you have a lot to say for yourself and portray yourself as the guy with all the answers. Some of your overall points are very valid and some seen through your own agenda 

Your comments about junior football  as a whole are embarassing for your club and at times portray a wee bitter man behind a key board if anybody dosent see things thru your glasses. 

It’s not a strange statement from us it’s an open and transparent where we are.  You may find it strange as it dosent fully agree with what you perceive will happen

Spot on.

I have heard that the following clubs have been accepted into the EoS

Bonnyrigg, Camelon, HoB, Blackburn, Dalkeith, Haddington, Musselburgh, Tranent, Crossgates, Easthouses, Edinburgh.
Dunipace and hillfield swifts.

No real surprises there if this information is true

7 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Bonnyrigg, Camelon, HoB, Blackburn, Dalkeith, Haddington, Musselburgh, Tranent, Crossgates, Easthouses, Edinburgh.

No craigroyston?

11 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Sjfa project fear went really then.