Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:

TJ in the original e-mail said :-   We are heading in the direction that will see us join the Pyramid – subject to an EGM – at a level no worse off than the EOS/SOS.

Is it reasonable to conclude that his use of the words "No worse off" (as opposed to "the same as") suggests that he thinks the Juniors could join the Pyramid at a better level than the EOS/SOS ? 

Definitely implies that the tier 5 entry option is still on his agenda.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Anyone know who the two requests for SFA Membership are? At first I was thinking one of them would be LTHV, but presumably they're an ongoing application and this read like two new applications. It's not really fair to put in an embargo in place, even short term, for clubs that might be waiting for official acceptance to the EoSFL.

From the EoS forum, it seems to be LTHV are one of them. Might be the case that they pip Kelty to the title after tonight's result too!

To be fair the majority of juniors wouldnt be at Tier 6, the minority would be, at best, dependant on the outcome of the various discussions. 

The majority would be at either Tier 7 or 8 you would have thought, given there should be more teams the lower down you get.

A best there will be 72 clubs at Tier 6 - the existing EoS Div 1, SoS, assumption of a WoS and NoS sitting under LL & HL. Although potentially he NoS could be split in 2 to cover a south east section covering dundee /  perth  / aberdeen and a north west covering inverness and he NCL clubs.

Then the majority of the Junior clubs (as they do in the current junior pyramid) would sit below that, although to be fair TJ is only really interested in a few big junior teams and making sure they are ok

This is interesting.

“Any club which isn't a Full Member of the SFA can play in any league that it chooses. All clubs in Scotland are either Full Members (and Licenced) and have SFA voting powers or they are Registered Members (Not Licenced) which have no voting powers. There are only a few Full Member clubs below the Highland and Lowland Leagues, and some are in the EoS and the SoS, with other in the SJFA plus Glasgow Uni and Golspie. ALL of the remainder are Registered Members, including the vast majority of SJFA, EoS and SoS leagues.
You require a current Licence in order to be promoted to the SPFL or to the Highland and Lowland Leagues. “

SFA ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION (Extracts)

4. MEMBERS
4.1 The aggregate number of full members of the Scottish FA shall be restricted to 200 and the Board may from time to time register an increase of such members within that limit.
4.2 Members shall be of two classes:- full members and registered members.

6. APPLICATION AND FEES

6.1 Clubs ................................ may be admitted as registered members or full members, subject to the provisions of Articles 6.2 to 6.7 (both inclusive).
6.2 A club ............................... shall be admitted as a registered member automatically by reason of its being admitted as a member of an Affiliated Association or an Affiliated National Association, .............................................................. . A registered member may apply at any time to become a full member.
6.3 .................................................................. No application for full membership of the Scottish FA shall be granted by the Board unless the Licensing Committee confirms to the Board that the applicant, if it is a club, has satisfied the minimum criteria as prescribed within the Club Licensing Procedures.
6.6 All applications for full membership shall be considered and decided by the Board and the Board’s
 decision on the matter shall be final.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

This is interesting.

“Any club which isn't a Full Member of the SFA can play in any league that it chooses. All clubs in Scotland are either Full Members (and Licenced) and have SFA voting powers or they are Registered Members (Not Licenced) which have no voting powers. There are only a few Full Member clubs below the Highland and Lowland Leagues, and some are in the EoS and the SoS, with other in the SJFA plus Glasgow Uni and Golspie. ALL of the remainder are Registered Members, including the vast majority of SJFA, EoS and SoS leagues.
You require a current Licence in order to be promoted to the SPFL or to the Highland and Lowland Leagues. “

SFA ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION (Extracts)

4. MEMBERS
4.1 The aggregate number of full members of the Scottish FA shall be restricted to 200 and the Board may from time to time register an increase of such members within that limit.
4.2 Members shall be of two classes:- full members and registered members.

6.6 All applications for full membership shall be considered and decided by the Board and the Board’s  decision on the matter shall be final.

The above quote states that any club that is not a FULL SFA Member, can join any league it chooses. So the 13/14 new applicants  have the right to join the EoS for 2018/19, but will be REGISTERED SFA Members - until Licensed.

5 hours ago, Born To Run said:

I suspect TJ is clutching at straws re his best possible outcome...

Remember that the top juniors were invited to join the Lowland League at its inception so they were considered Level 5 at that time (only the top juniors, mind you). I believe it was TJ who put a stop to the juniors joining the LL and therefore he was the one, ironically, who has allowed the entry level to be dropped to 6 at the most.

If there is a full merger of Juniors and Seniors I could honestly see the major factor of who gets tier 6 being based on the clubs infrastructure and how close they are to gaining a licence being the biggest factor. While tier 6 doesn’t require a licence they may want the clubs most ready for promotion or who they think can achieve this to prevent scenarios like last year with LTHV.

No doubt all will become clearer in the summer.

the promised land ahhhhhhhhhhhh  paradise !!!!!!!!!!
  • Gold Members
  • 1,739 posts
  • My Team : Kelty Hearts

Found this report on nonleague matters website

East of Scotland League 
Lothian Thistle-Hutchison Vale 1-0 Kelty Hearts 
Saughton Enclosure, Edinburgh 
Admission £6/£3 
Attendance 400 (at least 250 from Kelty. Taking into account the various neutrals and hoppers, probably well under 100 supporting the home team) 

This was my first visit to Saughton and, in fact, my first EOSFL game. From next season, with the invasion of junior clubs the EOSFL will be unrecognisable from the pretty lame league it currently is. Kelty and LTHV have dominated this league like no league has ever been dominated before. Kel'y (it must be pronounced using a glottal stop) had a 100% league record going into this game whilst LTHV dropped their first points of the season last weekend with a remarkable 5-5 draw against Leith Athletic. 

Saughton Enclosure isn't much to write home about but it indicates that the bar is set pretty low when it comes to ground licensing. There is nothing but grass banking around all four sides of the pitch apart from a recently installed prefabricated metal covered area which might just about shelter the whole of LTHV's support - about 75 people. There is a dreaded running track, 8 lanes down one side and six around the rest of the pitch. 

The sun was belting down and it confirmed my belief that there's only one thing worse than watching football in the cold and wet and that's watching it in blazing sunshine ... notwithstanding the bikinis on show. The pitch was hard and uneven and what skill either side might have had was well hidden. 

As for the match, Kelty will be asking themselves how they managed to lose it. They dominated the game from start to finish but a combination of desperate defending, inspired goalkeeping (especially the amazing save 15 minutes from time) and finishing which at times was truly comical meant that LTHV inflicted on Kelty their first league defeat of the season. 

LTHV went ahead, against the run of play, on 30 minutes much to the delight of their small covey of fans in the bus shelter. Straight from the kick off Kelty went forward and were awarded a dubious penalty when the keeper was adjudged to have brought down an onrushing forward. The man-of-the-match made amends by making a fine save. The raucous Kelty fans were distraught (it was good to see them maintaining the junior tradition of counting plenty of boozed up supporters in their number) and their frustation lasted the full 90 minutes. 

LTHV visit Central Park next weekend for what will probably turn out to be the championship decider. A win for them really would put the cat amongst the pigeons ... speaking of which, a highlight of the first half was watching crows and gulls working together to mob a buzzard hovering over the ground. 

I had to use public transport to get to and from this match from our Midlothian pied-a-terre. The missus had a more pressing need for the car. Good grief!!!! I could have driven home to Ayrshire and had my tea before I completed my journey of about 10 miles using Lothian Buses. The Number 38 is half hourly and after the match I had 20 minutes to wait for the next bus. So I started walking to the next stop ... and the next one ...and the next one and still the ETA was hardly changing. Through Gorgie, up Robertson Avenue, into Fountainbridge, up Shandon Place into Polworth and eventually with the ETA still 7 minutes I decided to wait for the bus outside Watsonians' Myreside ground. This got me to Morningside, where the pavement cafes and bars were doing a roaring trade, and the prospect of another 20 minute wait for a Number 15. At least this time 20 minutes was indeed 20 minutes. Lothian Buses have decided to no longer serve our village so with the 15 minute walk at the end it took me a full 1 hour 45 minutes to get home from Saughton. Still the 10k steps for the day were notched up with plenty to spare. 

rigano

• Junior League Starter
  •  
  • rigano
  • Gold Members
  • 375 posts
  • My Team : Scotland

Having just looked at the EOS forum the EOS league should really be called "the greedy b *****d league"

when these charlatan junior teams leave the east region and eventually go we should have a party.

The only team with a genuine reason to go is Bonnyrigg, the majority are either hanging on to Bonnyrigg's coat tails, trying to avoid relegation to the south division, jumping for financial reasons, or trying to jump up 2 leagues because that's the only way they can progress.

Better off without them.

5 hours ago, Truthteller said:
the promised land ahhhhhhhhhhhh  paradise !!!!!!!!!!
  • Gold Members
  • 1,739 posts
  • My Team : Kelty Hearts

I'm not sure how quoting a post that has been derided in the EoS section is helping your cause but thanks for trying anyway, it gives us a laugh

6 hours ago, Truthteller said:

Having just looked at the EOS forum the EOS league should really be called "the greedy b *****d league"

when these charlatan junior teams leave the east region and eventually go we should have a party.

The only team with a genuine reason to go is Bonnyrigg, the majority are either hanging on to Bonnyrigg's coat tails, trying to avoid relegation to the south division, jumping for financial reasons, or trying to jump up 2 leagues because that's the only way they can progress.

Better off without them.

Why are we better off without them?

As someone who isn't the greatest fan of the Pyramid and who has tried and failed to find any reason for staying  - I genuinely would be interested in hearing your reasoning?

12 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Why are we better off without them?

As someone who isn't the greatest fan of the Pyramid and who has tried and failed to find any reason for staying  - I genuinely would be interested in hearing your reasoning?

Please don't ask him to type any more. 

6 hours ago, Truthteller said:

Better off without them.

Yeah, how dare these clubs try to improve themselves and do what they think is best for their future?

1 hour ago, drs said:

I'm not sure how quoting a post that has been derided in the EoS section is helping your cause but thanks for trying anyway, it gives us a laugh

Well it's hardly Newlandsfield or Beechwood Park (x2) or Meadow Park or New Victoria Park or Newtown Park  is it?

saughton.jpg