Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Correct me if i'm wrong but the SJFA really only brings in money for itself through gate receipts and sponsorship of the Junior Scottish Cup. Once you lose some of the bigger clubs, the money dries up and they're already struggling for sponsors.
Its no surprise that this will have come on the coat tails of Bonnyrigg making it official they were applying for the EoS. The SJFA are running out of money and they need to retain every big name they have.

Actually they are a pretty cash rich organisation. In the 2015 accounts they had over £500k in the bank and TJ was raking in £31k a year.

That will have taken a hit with no Junior Cup sponsor but they will still be very comfortable.

There really is no obvious need for an SJFA as a national body if integration into the pyramid happens and that means there is no need for Tom Johnston's post because each region could more easily represent itself at that point the same way the EoSFA and SoSFA do given they would be interacting with different tier 5 feeders. Tom Johnston is desperately scrambling to keep his job, basically.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

A wee bit of digging yesterday and the day has uncovered the email that Johnstone has been sending round. Either the SFA board have some explaining to do or Johnstone is playing fast and loose with what actually was talked about. Naebody at the Lowland League is aware of anything so you must think the EOS haven't a scooby either

I’ve only had informal notification as yet. Andrew McKinlay the Interim CEO is out today so it will be Monday before I catch up with him. However my source of information was at the meeting so it is “kosher”

Once I have received confirmation in writing or verbally from Andrew I will put out a formal notification to clubs.

To confirm: The Board of the Scottish FA have agreed in principle to the Juniors entering the Pyramid at Tier 6 with possible target for  implementation commencing season 18/19. There will also be a moratorium on applications for Scottish FA membership and Club Licensing whilst discussions are ongoing re Pyramid integration.

Hope this helps. If you need anything further please let me know

Regards

Tom Johnston

Scottish Junior FA

Wow.

"I have a third hand source who says an interim CEO, who conveniently can't be reached today for confirmation, in his first major act in his interim post is going to ride roughshod over the 4 leagues/associations who have shown an ongoing commitment to the pyramid since inception in favour of the one who have treated it with utter contempt until 5 minutes ago. Not only that, they are going to implement it, including all the rule changes that would require drafting, legalising and review prior to being accepted at all 5 AGM's (June) in time for next season, but even having "got it done" there will still be an embargo on license applications in order to let the Juniors catch up with their senior counterparts, thereby nullifying the entire point of Tier 6 (promotion/relegation) for an unspecified period as a result"

Top stuff.

Anyone else think the conversation was as follows:

"Ho big fella, welcome into post. We want Juniors in at tier 6. What say ye?"

Interim CEO (slightly confused): "Eh, aye, OK, whatever"

"We're in lads, Tier 6 it is"

Nothing would surprise me in Scottish football, but I'd be absolutely astounded if any of this came to pass. I think there would be a lot of unhappy people if it did, without any sort of consultation.

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

go tell that to LTHV and the EoS. A moratorium on them is basically messing with the sporting integrity of the game. Very much doubt that's happening.

If they have already applied and paid their £2,000 fee then they will be processed. If they haven’t as yet applied and paid then it won’t be processed.

burnieman, has Blackburn applied AND paid, as you have went a bit quiet on this point ?

Edited by Truthteller

If they have already applied and paid their £2,000 fee then they will be processed. If they haven’t as yet applied and paid then it won’t be processed.

burnieman, has Blackburn applied AND paid, as you have went a bit quiet on this point ?

Why would I tell a troll that sort of info [emoji23]

Plus you have zero idea of what was or wasnt agreed re licencing, all you have is the email posted above. I rather suspect you have the wrong end of the stick. Again.

8 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Actually they are a pretty cash rich organisation. In the 2015 accounts they had over £500k in the bank and TJ was raking in £31k a year.

That will have taken a hit with no Junior Cup sponsor but they will still be very comfortable.

Admitted they couldn't cover any payments over the bad winter like they have done previously. £31k a year to TJ, plus other admin costs. In roughly 3 years do you think the reserves are over/under £500k now?

Edited by FairWeatherFan

6 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Why would I tell a troll that sort of info emoji23.png

Plus you have zero idea of what was or wasnt agreed re licencing, all you have is the email posted above. I rather suspect you have the wrong end of the stick. Again.

Thanks 

you have just confirmed the answer 

Moratorium applies to ALL licence applications 

Youve read the same email as I have bud and came to a different conclusion. I reckon Johnstone asked for Junior clubs to be able to apply for a licence and that was what was denied, not clubs in the pyramid

Admitted they couldn't cover any payments over the bad winter like they have done previously. £31k a year to TJ, plus other admin costs. In roughly 3 years do you think the reserves are over/under £500k now?

Not seen the accounts since then.

13 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Why would I tell a troll that sort of info emoji23.png

Surely not?

20 minutes ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Youve read the same email as I have bud and came to a different conclusion. I reckon Johnstone asked for Junior clubs to be able to apply for a licence and that was what was denied, not clubs in the pyramid

Would be bizarre for a moratorium to suddenly be applied to EoS and SoS clubs given it is needed for promotion to the LL, so no obvious reason to believe that clubs that get accepted into EoS membership next week would be affected by this. What it possibly implies is that the east and west superleagues could be tier 6 on paper next season as negotiations on fuller integration take place for seasons after that but only Linlithgow and Girvan would be eligible for promotion until the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed and even that would probably be a moot point if a champion wasn't determined in time for the LL playoff.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

How are the wages of TJ and others funded? Obviously if there's cash in the bank it comes from there but with no cup sponsors and everything else run by regions how do the SJFA bring in cash?

Reinstatement fees would be one obvious one. Think they also get a cut on junior cup admission takings.

As someone else mentioned, and as I have pointed out before, there is absolutely no need for the SJFA to continue to exist and pay a full time salary if Junior clubs enter the Pyramid. The WRJFA become the WoSFL, NRJFA become the NoSFL and in the east its either merger for the ERJFA with EoS or clubs join the EoS. There is no room for the SJFA to exist and fund, the regional leagues look after themselves and the SFA deal with referees, registration and disciplinary.

2 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

A wee bit of digging yesterday and the day has uncovered the email that Johnstone has been sending round. Either the SFA board have some explaining to do or Johnstone is playing fast and loose with what actually was talked about. Naebody at the Lowland League is aware of anything so you must think the EOS haven't a scooby either

I’ve only had informal notification as yet. Andrew McKinlay the Interim CEO is out today so it will be Monday before I catch up with him. However my source of information was at the meeting so it is “kosher”

Once I have received confirmation in writing or verbally from Andrew I will put out a formal notification to clubs.

To confirm: The Board of the Scottish FA have agreed in principle to the Juniors entering the Pyramid at Tier 6 with possible target for  implementation commencing season 18/19. There will also be a moratorium on applications for Scottish FA membership and Club Licensing whilst discussions are ongoing re Pyramid integration.

Hope this helps. If you need anything further please let me know

Regards

Tom Johnston

Scottish Junior FA

The SFA's RESPONSE to TJ's pyramid letter (which he announced he would be sending  after he met with junior clubs), is essential to verify what he is claiming. Let's see if  he will produce and circulate  it.  Otherwise this is nothing more than (verbal) smoke and mirrors.

1 hour ago, gaz5 said:

Wow.

"I have a third hand source who says an interim CEO, who conveniently can't be reached today for confirmation, in his first major act in his interim post is going to ride roughshod over the 4 leagues/associations who have shown an ongoing commitment to the pyramid since inception in favour of the one who have treated it with utter contempt until 5 minutes ago. Not only that, they are going to implement it, including all the rule changes that would require drafting, legalising and review prior to being accepted at all 5 AGM's (June) in time for next season, but even having "got it done" there will still be an embargo on license applications in order to let the Juniors catch up with their senior counterparts, thereby nullifying the entire point of Tier 6 (promotion/relegation) for an unspecified period as a result"

Top stuff.

Nothing would surprise me in Scottish football, but I'd be absolutely astounded if any of this came to pass. I think there would be a lot of unhappy people if it did, without any sort of consultation.

Your post is excellent. Interim CEO, Andrew McInlay doesn't have the authority to make the 'claims' which TJ is attributing to him.  Nor would he be so stupid as to do so, in my view, especially as apparently there has been no discussion/consultation with the senior leagues and associations, as you rightly point out above. 

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

As someone else mentioned, and as I have pointed out before, there is absolutely no need for the SJFA to continue to exist and pay a full time salary if Junior clubs enter the Pyramid. The WRJFA become the WoSFL, NRJFA become the NoSFL and in the east its either merger for the ERJFA with EoS or clubs join the EoS. There is no room for the SJFA to exist and fund, the regional leagues look after themselves and the SFA deal with referees, registration and disciplinary.

Agreed 

2 hours ago, gaz5 said:

Wow.

Top stuff.

Spot on bud.