Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

People do like to sneer at those clubs, the fact that they are run better than the majority of Junior clubs and took the risk of joining the pyramid is for strange reason somehow held against them.
I'm not sneering at all. In fact the opposite. They have been the main reason scottish football are moving towards a pyramid.

I'm only pointing out that once it's all joined up, clubs with crowds of 2 or 3 or 4 hundred will eventually pass them.

The Shire are the only club that publish their attendances and going on that we are talking around 100 - 150 per game. If a club can come in with double or triple people per week that's a lot of money at that level.

7 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

I'm not sneering at all. In fact the opposite. They have been the main reason scottish football are moving towards a pyramid.

I'm only pointing out that once it's all joined up, clubs with crowds of 2 or 3 or 4 hundred will eventually pass them.

The Shire are the only club that publish their attendances and going on that we are talking around 100 - 150 per game. If a club can come in with double or triple people per week that's a lot of money at that level.

Very few Junior clubs publish attendances so how can you compare with any certainty?  Only a small percentage of Junior clubs exceed 200 on a regular basis.

Very few Junior clubs publish attendances so how can you compare with any certainty?  Only a small percentage of Junior clubs exceed 200 on a regular basis.
The small percentage are the clubs I'm talking about. Just an opinion but the lowland league in a decade will be an East/West Superleague with a couple others.

9 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:
46 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The small percentage are the clubs I'm talking about. Just an opinion but the lowland league in a decade will be an East/West Superleague with a couple others.

I agree, I'd say 10/12 clubs will be ex-Juniors.

20 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

The pyramid is a laod of shit unless you go cap in hand and beg Talboy to be interested

20 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

Blackburn are  a wee load of shit

19 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

Absolite shitehawk league. Bo'ness and Lintlthgow are gutless fannies

Absoltely non efeectus fanny club

Just reading this. If this guy really is connected to Auchinleck Talbot in some official capacity as is being suggested then surely the club, if they are aware of what is being put forward in their name on here, would be well advised to pull him aside and reprimand him in some way? Awful stuff.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Everything in that article talks about 2019/20 rather than next season.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

The article reads that it is happening 2019-20, not next season as Clydebank are willing to let the SJFA run with it for the time being,

Oops...I’m already in 2018/19 clearly! :lol:

2 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:
2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

But who are the clubs that regularly  (i.e. average) pull in 200+, even going by anecdotal headcounts?

Oops...I’m already in 2018/19 clearly! :lol:

I can’t see Clydebank actually organising the league though, they would be in conflict with the league they are already in, would run the risk of them being voted out with no where to go. Surprised they are staying junior for another year at least, fully expect they will be made an example of. Seems like poor planning.

10 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

But who are the clubs that regularly  (i.e. average) pull in 200+, even going by anecdotal headcounts?

You'll have an idea of the west.  In the East, I'd say "regularly" = Linlithgow, Bo'ness and Bonnyrigg.  I couldn't say for certain about Penicuik - their home support has looked ok when I've been through. A competitive Newtongrange would maybe pull 200. Not many others on a regular basis and travelling supports for many clubs are dire.

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Linlithgow supporter  on here recently claimed an average of 300-400 when things go well. I would think they would get attendances like they did on Saturday v Jeanfield f or most games given the vast majority of East Superleague sides carry very little travelling support. Thats the biggest club in the East :)

Without getting into crowd w**k territory, there are at the very least 300 on a Saturday - you'll need to show me the quote where someone said "when things are going well". We struggled badly last season and the season before. We've got close to 200 season ticket holders and when things are going well we get a lot more than the numbers you're talking. 

The challenge in the east is that visiting teams are bringing fewer and fewer with them.  And I think we are taking fewer to away games. 

This is going to get much worse as the arse falls out of the juniors. 

I will check for the when going well quote, might have been Auld Head:unsure2:. My post wasnt a criticism of Linlithgow though, more of a general comment that a lot of people seem to overestimate the pull of the bigger teams in the East.

Only Boness in recent times have brought a bus.

Using my Kelty calculator we had 1500 there on Saturday.

You'll have an idea of the west.  In the East, I'd say "regularly" = Linlithgow, Bo'ness and Bonnyrigg.  I couldn't say for certain about Penicuik - their home support has looked ok when I've been through. A competitive Newtongrange would maybe pull 200. Not many others on a regular basis and travelling supports for many clubs are dire.
Penicuiks home support is nearer 100 than 200. Newtongrange much the same at present.

The majority of clubs coming to Bonnyrigg bring very few supporters so potentially the EoSL will make very little difference to us attendance wise. Average attendance of 200 may be about right when you take the big gates into account but games against FWE or the likes on a dreich afternoon would be around the 150 mark I'd think.

Even at Haddington on Saturday I was surprised at how few home fans were there, I'd say an 80/20 split in favour of Bonnyrigg but I'd have said the crowd was somewhere between 100 and 150.

24 minutes ago, HTG said:

So hard to say in some respects because Lok support does travel well. We do have an average that is atypical (570/640 for all comps / league only). Talbot are the next obvious one. Always seem decent home numbers for Beith and Ladeside. People talk of Arthurlie's home support dwindling. Clydebank always had a good 200-300. I've not been regularly for years so not the best judge.

46 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

So hard to say in some respects because Lok support does travel well. We do have an average that is atypical (570/640 for all comps / league only). Talbot are the next obvious one. Always seem decent home numbers for Beith and Ladeside. People talk of Arthurlie's home support dwindling. Clydebank always had a good 200-300. I've not been regularly for years so not the best judge.

To be honest most of the top division in the West apart from maybe the bottom three and Rob Roy who are currently playing outside Kirky probably average a couple of hundred minimum. Pollok are obviously the best supported by some margin, but the likes of Talbot, Kilwinning, Clydebank and so on certainly routinely pull in 2-300 for bog standard games.

There are some relatively poorly supported second tier teams, but a good proportion of them are pulling in 150-200 regularly as well. It's only once you get into the district leagues you're normally looking at double digit attendances...even then with a few notable exceptions.

21 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

To be honest most of the top division in the West apart from maybe the bottom three and Rob Roy who are currently playing outside Kirky probably average a couple of hundred minimum. Pollok are obviously the best supported by some margin, but the likes of Talbot, Kilwinning, Clydebank and so on certainly routinely pull in 2-300 for bog standard games.

There are some relatively poorly supported second tier teams, but a good proportion of them are pulling in 150-200 regularly as well. It's only once you get into the district leagues you're normally looking at double digit attendances...even then with a few notable exceptions.

2-300 would be a poor home crowd for Talbot, also they at least equal the Pollok support when they go there. 

On 09/04/2018 at 17:02, HTG said:

Without getting into crowd w**k territory, there are at the very least 300 on a Saturday - you'll need to show me the quote where someone said "when things are going well". We struggled badly last season and the season before. We've got close to 200 season ticket holders and when things are going well we get a lot more than the numbers you're talking. 

The challenge in the east is that visiting teams are bringing fewer and fewer with them.  And I think we are taking fewer to away games. 

This is going to get much worse as the arse falls out of the juniors. 

I’ve been along to quite a few linlithgow games over the past 3 seasons. (married a linlithgow lass and moved). There is no danger you have at least 300 there on a saturday though unless a bonnyrigg or a boness are in town or it’s the junior cup or big scottish. I was also baffled at the attitudes of the rose fans we spoke to at the cup game that said they wouldn’t be back this season once out the big scottish and junior cup because the league means nothing.

Edited by Fat Controller

21 minutes ago, Owen Morgan said:

2-300 would be a poor home crowd for Talbot, also they at least equal the Pollok support when they go there. 

Talbot add hundreds to the gate yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it gets doubled - the figures literally don't up to that. Lok home gates this season in all comps:

610 Arthurlie (SLC)
245 Benburb (SLC)
495 Ladeside (L)
415 Girvan (L)
770 Clydebank (L)
550 Perthshire (SJC)
1125 Arthurlie (L)
730 Talbot (L)
530 Glenafton (L)
405 Hurlford (L)
655 Cumnock (L)
630 Kilwinning (L)
620 Beith (L)

Talbot add hundreds to the gate yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it gets doubled - the figures literally don't up to that. Lok home gates this season in all comps:
610 Arthurlie (SLC)
245 Benburb (SLC)
495 Ladeside (L)
415 Girvan (L)
770 Clydebank (L)
550 Perthshire (SJC)
1125 Arthurlie (L)
730 Talbot (L)
530 Glenafton (L)
405 Hurlford (L)
655 Cumnock (L)
630 Kilwinning (L)
620 Beith (L)

So Talbot arent even the biggest draw in the league for Pollok home games then? But doesnt that challenge the view that there are just as many Talbot fans as Lok?