Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

9 minutes ago, bendan said:

But what you're saying is that when the pyramid was established, the SFA accepted that the SoSL did not cover western lowland Scotland, but in fact only the very south west (as the SoSL had to commit to the pyramid) and thus the SFA accepted at that time that teams in the west had nowhere to play. I don't think that was the case. The SoSL accepted Bonnyton, EK (though they never took up the place) and Edusport because they had to.

They chose to accept those clubs, rather than had to and they were individual clubs, not a large bloc moving at once. Just as they can choose to accept Clydebank or not. They rejected Gretna 2008.

Just now, cmontheloknow said:

They chose to accept those clubs, rather than had to and they were individual clubs, not a large bloc moving at once. Just as they can choose to accept Clydebank or not. They rejected Gretna 2008.

Correct, it was not cut and dried whether any of those clubs would be accepted at the meeting.

2 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Ah yes, Clydebank ?   It is amazing that the Bankies' decision has not leaked. Can we assume that the club will make an official announcement after 31/3/18 ?

If the west juniors formed the senior west league then licensing would have to be compulsory as would promotion. There would be too many sugar daddy clubs happy to get in the Scottish cup and not accepting promotion blocking progressive clubs. For this reason I can see a split. A majority of Ayrshire clubs voted against the pyramid, whilst some like Glenafton voted for. With this in mind there is a clear power struggle.

I understood that some of the West Region Junior clubs, eg Auchinleck and Beith, have stated very clearly that they won't join the pyramid. True or false ?
Also the  SoSL clubs will probably need to be offered the chance to join a West senior league, if the SFA decides to link West and South clubs into a revised Tier 6 pyramid feeder. Threave Rovers, St Cuthbert Wanderers, and more recently Newton Stewart are licensed. Also, Wigtown is expected to rejoin the SoSL next season. 

I don’t recall beith clearly stating they won’t join the pyramid

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If the west juniors formed the senior west league then licensing would have to be compulsory as would promotion. There would be too many sugar daddy clubs happy to get in the Scottish cup and not accepting promotion blocking progressive clubs. For this reason I can see a split. A majority of Ayrshire clubs voted against the pyramid, whilst some like Glenafton voted for. With this in mind there is a clear power struggle.

That's why I think there is a future for the SJFA, in coordinating arrangements for the residual Junior clubs who won't join the pyramid.

17 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

They voted to accept clubs, having assessed whether they met the requirements. Obviously they could have rejected them, but to fulfil their commitment to the pyramid, they would have needed objective grounds to do so.

I'm not saying you are wrong on Gretna 2008, but do you have evidence of that? My recollection is that Gretna 2008 wanted to join the EoS. 

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

I understood that some of the West Region Junior clubs, eg Auchinleck and Beith, have stated very clearly that they won't join the pyramid. True or false ?

FALSE

21 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

A majority of Ayrshire clubs voted against the pyramid, whilst some like Glenafton voted for.

FAKE NEWS in both instances.

18 minutes ago, classof2010 said:

I don’t recall beith clearly stating they won’t join the pyramid

They haven't.

15 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I heard that this was the rumour about Beith, as the club apparently voted against the pyramid, but I hope I am wrong.

You ARE wrong.

Gretna was rejected by the SOS and applied to join the East . I think it was because at the time of the acceptance meeting they did not have a proper ground arrangement in place.

29 minutes ago, bendan said:

They voted to accept clubs, having assessed whether they met the requirements. Obviously they could have rejected them, but to fulfil their commitment to the pyramid, they would have needed objective grounds to do so.

I'm not saying you are wrong on Gretna 2008, but do you have evidence of that? My recollection is that Gretna 2008 wanted to join the EoS. 

http://www.solwaypress.co.uk/archiveViewer.asp?ID=224&r=f

Edit: as noted above, the SoS were not fully persuaded by their bid, they ended up playing their first season at the Everholm in Annan before getting used of Raydale.

Edited by cmontheloknow

3 hours ago, Che Dail said:

Now that the Juniors have committed to the pyramid, do you think that in these special circumstances the LL could be expanded for next season to 18 teams, with new places for Kelty, LTHV and Linlithgow Rose?

That really would be progress -  The LL would  gain 3 top clubs instead of 1.

Similarly a space could be found for Banks O Dee in the Highland League, one way or another.

As far as I’m aware 18 teams won’t happen in LL, that was intel from last season but stance might have changed, doubt it though. The consensus is 18 teams is 2 too much for the fixture calendar, it’s thought the Highland League would rather have it at 16 too.

Others on here may know more on this.

2 hours ago, bendan said:

There effectively is a West league already. It's called the South of Scotland League.

There really isn't.  If that were true it would be called the West of Scotland League. Or at the very leat the South and West of Scotland League. It demonstrably isn't a West of Scotland League as there are no teams from what is understood as the geographical area that is the West of Scotland.  

There really isn't.  If that were true it would be called the West of Scotland League. Or at the very leat the South and West of Scotland League. It demonstrably isn't a West of Scotland League as there are no teams from what is understood as the geographical area that is the West of Scotland.  

Bonnyton are from Kilmarnock.