Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

But let's be honest, it's not Bonnyton anyone wants in it.

The only possible issue with Clydebank moving to a Senior league next season is that the new West Premiership gets placed directly as the West of Scotland Tier 6 league. You'd imagine any WoSFL would be open to candidates as there will likely be some clubs that want to remain Junior, but you never know.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The only possible issue with Clydebank moving to a Senior league next season is that the new West Premiership gets placed directly as the West of Scotland Tier 6 league. You'd imagine any WoSFL would be open to candidates as there will likely be some clubs that want to remain Junior, but you never know.

I think you're overly keen on putting a structure in place, before considering how, or by whom it will be populated.

The structure will work, but consensus will make it better,  sooner.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The SFA should look at the 'North' & 'Far North' Regions at some stage, but there is apparently no current desire from any Junior or North Caledonian League club to be part of the pyramid at Tier 6 / 7.  Furthermore none of the clubs from these 2 leagues,  have applied for HFL membership since 2009.

Even HFL clubs like Brora Rangers weren't keen on being promoted to the SPFL when they were HFL champions in 2014/15, although they would have been required to do so by the SFA had they won the play-off. 

If Cove Rangers are promoted to the SPFL via the playoffs this season, which could happen, it will create an HFL vacancy.  But...,.....

(1) Will SFA licensed Banks O'Dee, or any other north club apply ?  Apparently not says Banks' Chairman.?

(2) Will the SFA ask/require the HFL to reduce its entry standards (eg floodlights, fully enclosed ground, etc) in order to accept new clubs into the Highland League from the NRJs or the NCL ?  No chance !

An interesting situation, but not one for the immediate future.

14 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

What's to stop Clydebank joining the EoS and transferring should the WoS ever get off the ground?

I’m far from convinced that the Clydebank would be accepted into the east of Scotland should they apply. 

6 minutes ago, BS7 said:

I’m far from convinced that the Clydebank would be accepted into the east of Scotland should they apply. 

Not sure why they wouldn't considering they've taken clubs from the Dumfries & Galloway area over the years. You've also  got East Kilbride FC as part of the EoSFA. Then there's the u20s League they compete in which seems to be a combined Lowland & EoS effort but also has Bonnyton Thistle's u20 team included.

Find out in a matter of hours what Clydebank are planning to do, the meeting's due to be held today at 16.00.

As far as I’m aware there is now 8 applicants into the EOS with a week to go.

3 Superleague, 2 Premier, 2 South division, 1 from the West (not Clydebank)

Looking like the Lowland and East Of Scotland Leagues will be the place to be for the better non league players in the East from next season, this will only get stronger when clubs get licenced and compete in the big Scottish Cup each season. With the extra finances involved rewarding and helping clubs then Tier 5 and 6 could be about to take a major shot in the arm as budgets increase and facilities get better.

4 minutes ago, kefc said:

As far as I’m aware there is now 8 applicants into the EOS with a week to go.

3 Superleague, 2 Premier, 2 South division, 1 from the West (not Clydebank)

Looking like the Lowland and East Of Scotland Leagues will be the place to be for the better non league players in the East from next season, this will only get stronger when clubs get licenced and compete in the big Scottish Cup each season. With the extra finances involved rewarding and helping clubs then Tier 5 and 6 could be about to take a major shot in the arm as budgets increase and facilities get better.

Any idea about Bonnyrigg? The statement following the meeting they just had suggested taking months to get the wheels in motion. It didn't quite read as blatantly moving to the EoS next year.

1 minute ago, kefc said:

I think it would be up to the clubs to reveal that info.

True although I'd be surprised if the info doesn't leak on here after the deadline has closed.   I'm surprised only Dalkeith have announced they have applied so far given the number of applicants.

The SFA should look at the 'North' & 'Far North' Regions at some stage, but there is apparently no current desire from any Junior or North Caledonian League club to be part of the pyramid at Tier 6 / 7.  Furthermore none of the clubs from these 2 leagues,  have applied for HFL membership since 2009.
Even HFL clubs like Brora Rangers weren't keen on being promoted to the SPFL when they were HFL champions in 2014/15, although they would have been required to do so by the SFA had they won the play-off. 
If Cove Rangers are promoted to the SPFL via the playoffs this season, which could happen, it will create an HFL vacancy.  But...,.....
(1) Will SFA licensed Banks O'Dee, or any other north club apply ?  Apparently not says Banks' Chairman.?
(2) Will the SFA ask/require the HFL to reduce its entry standards (eg floodlights, fully enclosed ground, etc) in order to accept new clubs into the Highland League from the NRJs or the NCL ?  No chance !
An interesting situation, but not one for the immediate future.

Why would the SFA look to change things up there, if no one has any appetite to change anything?

If Holm Park is unavailable for redevelopment, where will the Bankies play next season ?
No doubt it will be influenced by their decision at the Meeting today.

If they had any sense playing at a suitable ground like Maryhill or Benburb for a season in the EOSL and having a go at promotion would be the sensible choice, if that doesnt look likely then start looking at a WOSL. Better to spend a year groundsharing as a senior club than knowing youre going to apply out the juniors and more or less have a meaningless last year junior, I can’t see that being appealing to any fan other than the most die hard junior fan. Oh to be a fly on the wall at that meeting. I suspect however that they will defer an application for a year, they’ve gone very quiet on it. Wonder who the west team is that have applied, buffs maybe?(just a guess before I get shouted at). If its the buffs i’ll be very interested to get along to some of their games next year, i’ve heard their plans for abbey park are really taking shape, the folks there really should be commended for their vision for their team etc.

19 minutes ago, TheLad said:

Why would the SFA look to change things up there, if no one has any appetite to change anything?

It is their responsibility to ensure that the pyramid operates fairly across the country.  If the East Juniors starts to disintegrate this summer and eventually merges into the pyramid, then several East Region sides would fall into the Highland catchment area rather than the Lowland.  If the Highland League isn't willing to open up properly, then those clubs would essentially be left out on their ear (along with the North Juniors) and unable to join the pyramid.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It is their responsibility to ensure that the pyramid operates fairly across the country.  If the East Juniors starts to disintegrate this summer and eventually merges into the pyramid, then several East Region sides would fall into the Highland catchment area rather than the Lowland.  If the Highland League isn't willing to open up properly, then those clubs would essentially be left out on their ear (along with the North Juniors) and unable to join the pyramid.

The results of the Junior survey will be revealing :

What did North say about whether Junior clubs (not specifically E/W) should join the pyramid?

If the link is confusing, they were asked:

Should Junior clubs join the Pyramid? Y/N
Should the Juniors come in at Level 6 (Option A) or Level 5 (Option B)?
Was the club currently meeting Club Licensing requirements?

Edited by cmontheloknow