Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

14 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Can I just flip this round and ask are there any Senior or Amateur club looking to move Junior Grade. Either way I think the Junior grade is becoming weaker with some of their biggest clubs moving or potentially moving to the seniors, to the benefit to the pyramid may I add. I like an earlier suggestion of the district set up and run at a tier 7 and 8 level. Could this be how the grade survives and perhaps grow into something stronger (Not so much the teams within it but the strength of survivability and financial stability) than it currently is. 

Third Lanark (Amateur) FC website states that the club intends to join the Juniors (no timescale), albeit as part of the club's long term aim is to become a senior club (again). Currently it has an excellent youth section, and the adult team is already successful the Greater Glasgow Premier AFL.  Apparently Thirds are ground sharing at Vale of Clyde FC.

14 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

So it's now 2 weeks since the closing date for the SJFA Pyramid survey.

How long does it take to count up a 100 or so replies.

No time at all.  So why is there a vale of silence from the SJFA, the SFA, and also from the clubs themselves, with very few exceptions ?

While the East Region has a "convenience of geography" problem. Is there any thoughts on the West Region, in paricular Central clubs, have a "doorstep" problem? The most direct comparisons East Kilbride Thistle = East Kilbride FC & Cumbernauld United = Cumbernauld Colts. Not to mention BSC Glasgow and the next likely boys club project likely to come from the Greater Glasgow area.

While the Senior clubs might not have an advantage in terms of fans and tradition. They must be picking up sponsors, youth prospects and what could be the next generation of committee members that help keep Junior clubs going.

This guy claims to know the score:

20 hours ago, Che Dail said:

'Panic' is unreasoned and arbitrary. There is no panic - clubs seeking to move are taking logical and pragmatic steps to look after their long-term interests.

From what I can gather there are at least 4 East SL club committees (including Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness) discussing a move to the EoS plus 3 Premier clubs (including Dalkeith) and 1 from the South League. 

Add also the club 'just north of Tay' whatever league they play in. 

Kelty paved the way...

4 East SL: Bonnyrigg, Bo'ness United, Hill of Beath? and ???

3 East PL: Dalkeith, Haddington? and ???

South: Edinburgh United?

Just north of the Tay: ???

from the west: Clydebank

23 hours ago, Sunrise said:

I know this is hardly my place to speculate, but Broughty Athletic are quite a solid outfit... and are just north of Dundee, just!

Broughty have big plans and their new ground should be cracking but I think it will be too early for them and they'd have to do some amount of travelling if joining the EoS now as no teams in it locally.

15 hours ago, Robert James said:

Third Lanark (Amateur) FC website states that the club intends to join the Juniors (no timescale), albeit as part of the club's long term aim is to become a senior club (again). Currently it has an excellent youth section, and the adult team is already successful the Greater Glasgow Premier AFL.  Apparently Thirds are ground sharing at Vale of Clyde FC.

They're successful in the middle division of one of the worst amateur leagues in the West - why did they not join the SAFL, CSAFL or CAFL when their previously poor league (WosAFL) folded?

9 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

It isn't - the dividing line is a line of latitude that is just north of Montrose.

Lowland League rules: http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Scottish-Lowland-Football-League-Rules-Version-8.pdf say Latitude 56.4513N which is basically parallel to Dundee Airport's runway.

Edited by Ginaro

18 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Lowland League rules: http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Scottish-Lowland-Football-League-Rules-Version-8.pdf say Latitude 56.4513N which is basically parallel to Dundee Airport's runway.

Dundee Airport is at 56.27º according to Google Earth. A different result, using decimal degrees, shows it as Dundee airport and comes from https://www.latlong.net

Edited by cmontheloknow

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Lowland League rules: http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Scottish-Lowland-Football-League-Rules-Version-8.pdf say Latitude 56.4513N which is basically a line in the middle of Tayport and Dundee

Looking at the map that line just covers Brechin & Montrose, making them Lowland League clubs if it ever came to it. All the "North of the Tay" stuff seemed to put the scare into Montrose that first relegation playoff season and the line has been redrawn.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Looking at the map that line just covers Brechin & Montrose, making them Lowland League clubs if it ever came to it. All the "North of the Tay" stuff seemed to put the scare into Montrose that first relegation playoff season and the line has been redrawn.

There does appear to be some confusion though over whether the coordinates are either decimal degrees (which makes it Dundee Airport) or degrees, minutes and seconds (which makes it north of Brechin / Montrose).

18 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

So it's now 2 weeks since the closing date for the SJFA Pyramid survey.

How long does it take to count up a 100 or so replies.

I dont think the SJFA or Clubs or officials of clubs would post anything on here, and any survey returns would only be returned after consultations with supporters, officials, sponsors and members of clubs.  This site would be the last place any official results would be posted.

Redrawing the line even further north just makes a bigger mockery of the pyramid.  If the SFA are intent only on splitting by land mass they're creating a completely distorted pyramid where competition in the north is non existent compared to the south. 

On demographics you could draw the line across the country from the Kingston Bridge and shove north and east Glasgow in with Wick. 

Of course that's daft, but no dafter than the current bollocks. 

Scotland MUST have a 3 way split as a minimum when regionalising.

18 hours ago, Robert James said:

No time at all.  So why is there a vale of silence from the SJFA, the SFA, and also from the clubs themselves, with very few exceptions ?

Do you not think that Clubs will be taking their time making such decisions about their future, i would not expect my own club to rush into anything,and i would not expect them to post anything on here about this, what is wrong with that.

Edited by GLENAFTON93

1 minute ago, HTG said:

Redrawing the line even further north just makes a bigger mockery of the pyramid.  If the SFA are intent only on splitting by land mass they're creating a completely distorted pyramid where competition in the north is non existent compared to the south. 

On demographics you could draw the line across the country from the Kingston Bridge and shove north and east Glasgow in with Wick. 

Of course that's daft, but no dafter than the current bollocks. 

Scotland MUST have a 3 way split as a minimum when regionalising.

I agree, but only when the teams are actually there. As things stand, the HL is the strongest league below tier 4 in the pyramid, despite the lack of anything beneath it.

10 minutes ago, GLENAFTON93 said:

I dont think the SJFA or Clubs or officials of clubs would post anything on here, and any survey returns would only be returned after consultations with supporters, officials, sponsors and members of clubs.  This site would be the last place any official results would be posted.

The results haven't been circulated to the clubs.