Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

11 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Well I doubt they can veto it if the plan is agreeable to the SFA and Lowland League.

The clubs effectively are the SFA and Lowland League. Neither is an authority.

It would seem unlikely that a single club in the EoS Association would vote for such a move when there already is an East feeder.

The question might be if 2 EoS leagues are formed, in future seasons could Junior clubs enter the 1st Division rather than having to work through the 2nd? I could see a logic in that, to a point.

Edited by Che Dail

Looks like Bonnyrigg will be next to go.

edit - assuming vote goes that way.

Edited by drs

What makes you say that drs? What’ve I missed?

They have called an EGM,

"The club officials have decided to call an extraordinary general meeting to go through proposals with recommendations and ultimately hold a vote on the future direction the members want the officials to take the club on their behalf and with their support."

Coincidentally before the EoS application deadline...

I guess drs has just read between the lines, unless he's heard something more specific?

Time has really been up since the formation of the LL, its just taken a couple of clubs with ambition to highlight to the rest that things need to change.  

That change not coming from the governing body means its now time for the clubs to take control and the likes of Kelty, Dalkeith and Clydebank have done so whilst it now looks like others are following.

How many clubs does it take to call and EGM to ensure that their views are being put forward or to open negotiations for a full merger?

13 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I think if bonnyrigg were to move then time is really up on the junior leagues as we know it. 

I think its possible it could even revert into something similar to what it once was. There's likely to be enough clubs not enamoured by the SFA Pyramid and would rather have more local leagues with a smaller number of teams. Superleague era ends and you have Ayrshire, Central, East, North and maybe a mixed Fife/Tayside as your redrawn Regional/District Leagues.

I'd be quite surprised if Bonnyrigg decided to join the EoS any time soon. They've always seemed to me more hardcore Juniors. Their EGM might help put pressure on the SJFA to come to some kind of agreement with the SFA. That would be the best solution, obviously.

6 minutes ago, bendan said:

I'd be quite surprised if Bonnyrigg decided to join the EoS any time soon. They've always seemed to me more hardcore Juniors. Their EGM might help put pressure on the SJFA to come to some kind of agreement with the SFA. That would be the best solution, obviously.

I wouldn't. They're spending multiple thousands of pounds upgrading their facilities and what for if it's to stay in the juniors without a licence?  Right up to and including the most recent consultation document, the juniors has set out to protect its collective skin at all costs. They'll reap what they sow unless there is a change of mindset. We'll soon see how keen the sfa is on embracing change attached to a proper pyramid. Not very keen at all - that's my suspicion. It'll totally f**k their Highland/Lowland model. 

3 minutes ago, HTG said:

I wouldn't. They're spending multiple thousands of pounds upgrading their facilities and what for if it's to stay in the juniors without a licence?  Right up to and including the most recent consultation document, the juniors has set out to protect its collective skin at all costs. They'll reap what they sow unless there is a change of mindset. We'll soon see how keen the sfa is on embracing change attached to a proper pyramid. Not very keen at all - that's my suspicion. It'll totally f**k their Highland/Lowland model. 

You're right, the SFA aren't going to give up the HL/LL split. I think it's just a question of whether there can be an agreement for the Junior setup to slot in under that. I know that's unacceptable to a lot of juniors (below Selkirk!), but it feels like there could be some movement towards that happening. As the LL strengthens, it becomes more plausible.

1 minute ago, bendan said:

You're right, the SFA aren't going to give up the HL/LL split. I think it's just a question of whether there can be an agreement for the Junior setup to slot in under that. I know that's unacceptable to a lot of juniors (below Selkirk!), but it feels like there could be some movement towards that happening. As the LL strengthens, it becomes more plausible.

It isn't the slotting that's the problem. It's that in the south you may soon need to apply at tier 7 whilst in the north you can still apply at tier 5. How far are they going to let the disparity go? 

6 minutes ago, HTG said:

It isn't the slotting that's the problem. It's that in the south you may soon need to apply at tier 7 whilst in the north you can still apply at tier 5. How far are they going to let the disparity go? 

I think the problem in the north can be solved fairly easily, it's just that the urgent need to do so hasn't arisen yet. I don't think there's a huge issue with some areas having more tiers than others, though the population imbalance is something that would need to be looked at if the juniors came on board.

33 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

IF Bonnyrigg go down the EoS route then I think we've reached the tipping point. Sooner than I actually expected.

Yip, if they go the Holy Grail will soon become the West v whats left of the East

Another East Superleague club not been mentioned yet on here looking into joining EOS league for next season.

IF Bonnyrigg join the EOS for next season which is looking likely alongside the other 3 spoke about (1 from the West and 2 East Junior sides) gives the league 17 teams.

1 more application would give it a full capacity of 18, in terms of the East it could well be if East region SJFA bolt in under EOS or an EOS División 2 is formed then some top clubs who don’t get in now could find themselves in tier 7, 2 promotions to get into the LL.

It could well see the likes of Linlithgow and Boness in at tier 7 with a chance that they could be set back years in terms of recruiting the better players like they are used to.     A 2nd EOS División could be started with 16 teams in a 1st, 2nd Division, if the East Juniors then bolt onto these leagues in 1-2 years time then they will be at tier 8!!

If clubs want to be in the pyramid and gain an SFA Licence then they either wait with their trust in the SJFA to work for the benefit of their member clubs to quickly join the pyramid but the term “snooze you lose”  could very well come into use if the SJFA take too long or pay lip service.

Clubs alternatively have a choice to do the best for themselves to get in at tier 6 next season quick to avoid the rat race into the LL, if they join this year then it also gives them a minimum of a year to get their SFA licence.

Interested clubs in the West if 10 or so were interested could have a WOS Division started fairly quickly for next season with help from the committees running the EOS and SOS League. 

Going to be very interesting come the 31st March.