Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

13 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Loved the quote from Chris Ewing...

"We have no history, we have no fan base and we have carte blanche to create a brand new football club that meets the needs of the supporters."

If they have no fan base how is it meeting needs of supporters? :1eye

Good luck to Mr Ewing. From never having heard of him, he now is achieving his 15 minutes of fame.

As far as 'his' football club goes, this just smacks of just another vanity project. 

Rabid Al you may wish to check your sums again.

Raith Rovers average attendance for league one in over 1800 not boosted by any huge championship gates.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-league-one/attendances

The lowest home gate is over 1200 so to suggest our core support is only 1200 is a bit false. We got more than 1200 for a Tuesday night game in sub zero temperatures and I doubt many where Albion Rovers fans

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-league-one/attendances/minimum

14 hours ago, Che Dail said:

I like that its new and different and somebody is trying to build something from the ground up rather than what we're used to seeing which is a generous sprinkling of money from the top down.  Seems to be plenty demand from students abroad wanting to pay to come here for more than just football.

From the number of students and the fees being charged it must be close to a £1m business aside from the fan ownership venture.

It reminds me of the Camp America  / Bunac projects, and US football scholarships. I'm sure Davie Weir embarked on that before returning home to play for Falkirk then Hearts.

It'll be interesting to see how they progress and if they can get a home base in the central belt. 

Colin Cameron is good, credible. I say good luck to them...

If I turned up at your door and asked you for few grand to give your boy a game of football, you'd phone the police.

1 hour ago, Garret Deasy said:

Good luck to Mr Ewing. From never having heard of him, he now is achieving his 15 minutes of fame.

As far as 'his' football club goes, this just smacks of just another vanity project. 

A former Junior centre forward I'll have you know though, as someone rather unkindly put it within earshot of me, 6-04 but jumped 5-08. I have a selection of his clubs being Motherwell, Cumbernauld Utd, Stranraer, Dumbarton, Clydebank, Pollok (4 goals from 22 apps), Queen's Park and Neilston.

11 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

A former Junior centre forward I'll have you know though, as someone rather unkindly put it within earshot of me, 6-04 but jumped 5-08. I have a selection of his clubs being Motherwell, Cumbernauld Utd, Stranraer, Dumbarton, Clydebank, Pollok (4 goals from 22 apps), Queen's Park and Neilston.

Also loves to get drunk  by himself down sauchiehall street it seems, chatting up birds 20 years younger than him....

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If I turned up at your door and asked you for few grand to give your boy a game of football, you'd phone the police.

Dinny turn up at my door!

But if at some point my boy asks for support to travel and work in another country, learn a language, gain invaluable life experience and play football - I'll probably give it some thought and possibly even encourage it.

56 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's pretty much how Community Football runs is it not?   Kids  paying to train and play  - it's  frightening how much some parents fork out on a weekly/monthly basis. 

Some of these clubs are more financially secure than many amateur/junior/senior clubs. 

Edited by Auld Heid

3 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

That's pretty much how Community Football runs is it not?   Kids  paying to train and play  - it's  frightening how much some parents fork out on a weekly/monthly basis. 

Some of these clubs are more financially secure than many amateur/junior/senior clubs. 

I know. I've been the one asking. Not as much as they do though. 

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

I think he scored the Bankies' last ( at this point ) senior hat-trick against Forfar in the Challenge Cup if I recall correctly :) 

Been emailed tonight the questionnaire from the SJFA re pyramid meeting on 5th January.  Two options for the Juniors joining the Pyramid en-masse were discussed:

A: West and East Superleagues sit alongside East and South of Scotland Leagues with play-off for promotion to Lowland League

B: West and East Superleagues sit alongside Lowland League and play off with Highland League for SPFL promotion

Says the SFA favour option A, but the SJFA wanted option B discussed as well.  Option A more likely to be accepted. Start date listed as 2019-20.

If either proposal happens, SJFA seems to remain intact within pyramid, and clubs being promoted to Lowland could retain place in Junior Cup via a rules revision.  North Juniors need licence and floodlights to join Highland League.

Questionnaire ask clubs if Junior football should join the pyramid, which option they prefer A or B, and also a question as to whether they have the facilities to be licenced, to be returned by end of month.

Interesting developments, would allow clubs to remain Junior and become licenced and get into Lowland.

Been emailed tonight the questionnaire from the SJFA re pyramid meeting on 5th January.  Two options for the Juniors joining the Pyramid en-masse were discussed:
A: West and East Superleagues sit alongside East and South of Scotland Leagues with play-off for promotion to Lowland League
B: West and East Superleagues sit alongside Lowland League and play off with Highland League for SPFL promotion
Says the SFA favour option A, but the SJFA wanted option B discussed as well.  Option A more likely to be accepted. Start date listed as 2019-20.
If either proposal happens, SJFA seems to remain intact within pyramid, and clubs being promoted to Lowland could retain place in Junior Cup via a rules revision.  North Juniors need licence and floodlights to join Highland League.
Questionnaire ask clubs if Junior football should join the pyramid, which option they prefer A or B, and also a question as to whether they have the facilities to be licenced, to be returned by end of month.
Interesting developments, would allow clubs to remain Junior and become licenced and get into Lowland.

A four way promotion play off for 1 relegation spot in the Lowland league? Madness. Would lowland league clubs be forced to join the backward SJFA if they were relegated say BSC or East Kilbride?
I think we can safely say the Sfa will tell them to gtf.

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

A four way promotion play off for 1 relegation spot in the Lowland league? Madness. Would lowland league clubs be forced to join the backward SJFA if they were relegated say BSC or East Kilbride?
I think we can safely say the Sfa will tell them to gtf.

It says the SFA proposed that option, and isn't there supposed to be 2 relegated from the Lowland from next season.

SJFA still proposing utterly ridiculous scenarios? Some things won't change.

SJFA still proposing utterly ridiculous scenarios? Some things won't change.

Two decent proposals to get a proper pyramid, if they are true. I don't see what is ridiculous about either to be honest.

Obviously SJFA would rather there was a West and East Lowland League and as discussed in length it makes sense to have a 3 way split in Scotland due to large population in central belt compared to North. Very different from England.

If not acceptable then South, East and new 'West' leagues with promotion to Lowland League.

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Id be interested to see what the actual clubs say when it comes to passing it at any agm etc.

Well looking at it option B is a complete non starter, Lowland League clubs would not accept it for a start.

Option A whilst not being perfect gets Junior clubs onboard and eligible for licences, (and its an SFA suggestion) although details would need to be ironed out such as where would Colts, EK, BSC go if relegated from Lowland League, would have to surely be West Superleague but they're unlikely to be relegated anytime soon to be fair. 

Long term you surely cant have East Juniors and East Seniors operating on the same patch, merger down the road?

Not a fan at all of any proposals that end up with a situation where we have junior and senior leagues sitting at the same level of the pyramid but not integrated.  What's the point?  It would be crazy.  You'd have the East of Scotland League and East juniors at the same level covering a very similar geographical area.  Then you'd have the West junior top league at the same level as the South of Scotland League (a league which only covers a very small area of the west).  

The only real solution is a proper merger with East Juniors/EoS merging and West Juniors/SoS merging.  Anything else is a mess and might damage the chances of integration in the long-run.

Well looking at it option B is a complete non starter, Lowland League clubs would not accept it for a start.   

Surely East Kilbride, BSC Glasgow and Cumbernauld rather play teams in current West Region (Glasgow / Ayrshire) than current travelling through East of Scotland and Borders. Also one of these could be promoted this season. With a 3 region split may have more promotion / relegation spots to League Two? 1 automatic and 1 in play off eventually perhaps....

Also the old East of Scotland teams get good chance of at least getting to play offs without 3 of the current top Lowland League teams. Also Spartans, East Stirling may think have a better chance of promotion than having to face the 3 teams listed. Although top East Region teams in Juniors may join Lowland League East if ever took off, but would mean larger attendance and less travelling.

Two decent proposals to get a proper pyramid, if they are true. I don't see what is ridiculous about either to be honest.

Obviously SJFA would rather there was a West and East Lowland League and as discussed in length it makes sense to have a 3 way split in Scotland due to large population in central belt compared to North. Very different from England.

If not acceptable then South, East and new 'West' leagues with promotion to Lowland League.

Option B is utterly ridiculous, there is absolutely no way someone should be suggesting it in 2018, that boat has sailed long ago and even if accepted the chance of 32 clubs being licensed within 18 months is pretty unlikely, and even i that happens we have overlapping leagues and far too many clubs for 1 promotion play-off spot

Option A is more acceptable but still has overlapping leagues, too many clubs for 1 promotion slot and the archaic SJFA kept on place, with selective proposals on who enters the junior cup