Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

6 hours ago, archieb said:

Absolutely no need to form a new WoS Senior League, just designate next season's West Junior Premiership as having the equivalent status.

After all who else is it supposed to be accommodating other than OF Colts and BSC reserves? Give me a break!

Bonnyton Thistle and Glasgow Uni would be obvious ones and it may not just be the OF on colt teams. Smaller full-time clubs that have a 3G pitch like Hamilton Accies and Kilmarnock could put their U-20 development teams into something like this with little additional overhead compared to what they are already doing. Throw in Clydebank at that point and you already have eight members. Would not be at all surprised to see Rossvale and Gartcairn go for something like this, so think they could find a way to reach viable league numbers without any involvement by traditional junior clubs, although having a few to pad things out to 16 or so in numbers terms would obviously help them in credibility terms.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That is a big part of the problems that still exist. It wasn't well executed.

The cynic in me could also make the argument however that it was exceptionally well executed to suit the needs of a few of the established EoS clubs who were the driving forces behind it.

58 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That is a big part of the problems that still exist. It wasn't well executed.

I wouldn't say the problems we now have are due to how the Lowland League was created. It was that the SoSFL & EoSFL were allowed to be tacked on underneath. If those leagues had been kept at arms length like the NCFL, a proper discussion about what would come at Tier 6 would have taken place.

58 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Bonnyton Thistle and Glasgow Uni would be obvious ones and it may not just be the OF on colt teams. Smaller full-time clubs that have a 3G pitch like Hamilton Accies and Kilmarnock could put their U-20 development teams into something like this with little additional overhead compared to what they are already doing. Throw in Clydebank at that point and you already have eight members. Would not be at all surprised to see Rossvale and Gartcairn go for something like this, so think they could find a way to reach viable league numbers without any involvement by traditional junior clubs, although having a few to pad things out to 16 or so in numbers terms would obviously help them in credibility terms.

That's the least attractive of all possibilities. I expect an announcement soon.

16 minutes ago, Dunc the drunk said:

Not to mention the amount of clubs who have either folded or went into abeyance during a season in recent years.

...such as?

Names and numbers sport!

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Looks like the focus has shifted back to parachuting the OF colt teams into League 2 of the SPFL:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-rangers-colt-teams-set-11886261

so not sure where that leaves the WoS league.

I never thought the OF colt teams would enter in to a WoSFL. The SPFL have been laying the groundwork for colt teams in the pyramid since at least the summer. The knowledge of those talks would have filtered down, in which case why would BSC Glasgow have to send out an email gauging interest in a WoSFL if that was part of the SPFL's plan.

I never thought the OF colt teams would enter in to a WoSFL. The SPFL have been laying the groundwork for colt teams in the pyramid since at least the summer. The knowledge of those talks would have filtered down, in which case why would BSC Glasgow have to send out an email gauging interest in a WoSFL if that was part of the SPFL's plan.
Looks like a Colts team is another name used for reserve/u21 teams.

Yes let's all get behind this idea. [emoji85]

It is perfectly possible to favour a WOS league feeding the Pyramid while opposing the inclusion of Colt sides.  Most lower league Senior fans don't appear to be in favour of letting Colts come in either so there is considerable opposition to it.  It's beginning to look like 2 different arguments are being conflated to suit the agenda of the nay sayers to league reconstruction.

39 minutes ago, Shanner said:

It is perfectly possible to favour a WOS league feeding the Pyramid while opposing the inclusion of Colt sides.  Most lower league Senior fans don't appear to be in favour of letting Colts come in either so there is considerable opposition to it.  It's beginning to look like 2 different arguments are being conflated to suit the agenda of the nay sayers to league reconstruction.

Basically a simple set up will turn into a complete cluster f**k.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Stonehouse Violet folded after that.

Even they were a bit of a strange case - they initially folded through lack of locals willing to serve on their committee.

They came back for about 18 months with a new structure sourced from outside the village, but in typical parochial Scottish hick town fashion, the locals resented the fact outsiders were involved and refused to support the team, which was obviously unsustainable. Eventually they folded for a second and final time.

6 minutes ago, Dunc the drunk said:

Depends how far you want to go back but there were at the very least 6 in the same season only a couple of years ago.

A couple =2.  At the very least implies more than 6.  Have i (and loads of others) missed something?

6 minutes ago, Dunc the drunk said:

Depends how far you want to go back but there were at the very least 6 in the same season only a couple of years ago.

Quite a few clubs have gone into abeyance over the last decade or so, but not that many have failed to come back - it's most common with the more rural North Region sides; there's a lot more coming and going up there with teams going Junior for a couple of years and then either folding (e.g. Portgordon Vics) or merging (e.g. Grantown/Spey Valley) - it can also be difficult to recruit a viable squad in some thinly-populated areas, and teams will routinely sit a year out if they're having difficulties sourcing players.

In the last 10 years there haven't been that many elsewhere; in the West, Stonehouse folded, with Newmains and Perthshire spending periods in abeyance before returning. A few more out East; Ballingry, Bankfoot, Arbroath SC and Steelend folded for various reasons, with Forfar WE, Crossgates, Scone and Harthill having spells in abeyance before all coming back.

That's spread over a decade though - I don't ever recall as many as six in the one season.

20 minutes ago, Dunc the drunk said:

I’m pretty sure it was you who said at the time that at least half of them would likely return the following season .

And before the Kilsyth maths teacher replies I know that at least half of 6 = 3 or more.

May well have - rings a bell in the dim and distant.

Actually, I completely forgot to mention Falkirk Juniors in the East... In my defence, they always appeared to be a slightly fly-by-night operation more or less run by one guy that were only in for a few seasons.

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

May well have - rings a bell in the dim and distant.

Actually, I completely forgot to mention Falkirk Juniors in the East... In my defence, they always appeared to be a slightly fly-by-night operation more or less run by one guy that were only in for a few seasons.

Spartans also