Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

16 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The Only reason to go into this set up as it currently stands is to get your licence which Dalkeith are going to do. Good luck to them. Current structure not for me but would love a proper non league set up

Well done everyone at Dalkeith in showing ambition and foresight, shows how pitiful the clubs above them in the East leagues who are fiddling whilst Rome burns around them are.

36 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

There it is though ...

Makes sense - they've been close to SL promotion over the past few years but must see greater potential for them in the LL and beyond with the right support and investment.

Edited by Che Dail

51 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Good luck to Dalkeith. Hope it goes well, but I have to say I am surprised by this move at this time.

Dalkeith are currently the 4th best Junior team in Midlothian - both in terms of current league positions and size of crowds. Anytime that I have been up watching the team, I am always surprised of the lack of support form Dalkeith locals. Also the fact, as far as I remember, that they have never been in the Super League, I wonder how the transition to the East of Scotland League will go for them?

Hope it doesn’t go the same way as Ormiston, who probably will remain in the lower reaches of the East of Scotland set up and now get about 10 of a crowd watching them? Perhaps way off the mark, but...

1 minute ago, energyzone said:

What would happen if Dalkeith, or another club entered the EOS league, gained the licence then resigned and re-entered the juniors? Would the licence remain?

I rather suspect the SFA would revoke it.

Edited by Burnie_man

Dalkeith on the move now.  Their support is as close to two men and a dug as is possible to have, so they have little to lose, especially given the support available from their governing body. Haddington probably next?

How many must go before there is some reaction from the leadership of the junior game? Unless of course this is what they want to see happen?

TJ was clearly confllcted with sitting on the board of the SFA while being secretary of the SJFA, not to mention his other SFA endorsed directorships.

Some legacy guys. 

Blackburn and Haddington both tweeting about the ‘full integration of the Scottish game’ ... who will be next? 

This is almost as interesting as the move itself. Previously clubs have stayed quiet, the pressure for those in power to move away from their isolationist attitude is growing.

Would it not be beneficial for the progression of Scottish football as a whole if their was the pathway in place from junior to League 2, as the English conference does.

i do feel that the professional structure is all wrong in its current model. No need for as many divisions as there is.

Thought I'd put together a map with all of the non-league teams to show where the Junior clubs are located, and how they could fit in to a regional pyramid:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1k4xWEiA6DvPhdnfOqT835ybt52xQ4Grr&ll=56.965619412276396%2C-3.433614900000066&z=7

I'm not too familiar with the Junior system, but allow me to indulge in some fantasy pyramid reconstruction:  :P

North region looks fairly straightforward - include the Juniors in a two tier Highland League at levels 5 and 6.

If we keep the Lowland League as it is, then at level 6 you have either: east/west or go for four regions: midlands (Fife/Tayside), east (Lothians/Edinburgh), south (current SoSFL) and west.

Or you could instead have Lowland East & West at level 5 - which is a bit more north/south travel for both Juniors and current Lowland teams. For level 6 you can feed in west2/south and midlands/east.