Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Scottish Pyramid News is still the best one-stop source for fixture news if you're looking for games getting played over the next month or so.  Site's a bit unhinged at times but you can't accuse the guy of not caring.

His site's still on the go - he seems to spend a lot of time railing about "clone sites" these days.

I'm assuming he means the Scottish Football Fixtures one which provides essentially the same service without the borderline-comprehensible editiorialising and also has the added bonus of a layout that doesn't give you eye cancer.

Like what? I remember the pyramid news I remember getting one of them when Camelon played Whitburn at Pumpherston in a cup final

His idea of debate was to attack anyone who argued with him with a torrent of abuse. IIRC he tried to claim the credit for the West Region superleagues even though they bore little or no resemblance to anything suggested in his magazine.

I find it blizzard that junior football ( by far the biggest non league body in scotland) should  move HEAVEN and earth to join the minority leagues that are mostly no better than the junior set up .I see senior clubs with inferior facilities and yet junior clubs are constantly slated for a lack of investment in facilities . The greed that has destroyed our big game looks like it will take junior football as it's next victim .

10 hours ago, daleboy1969 said:

I find it blizzard that junior football ( by far the biggest non league body in scotland) should  move HEAVEN and earth to join the minority leagues that are mostly no better than the junior set up .I see senior clubs with inferior facilities and yet junior clubs are constantly slated for a lack of investment in facilities . The greed that has destroyed our big game looks like it will take junior football as it's next victim .

I certainly don't want my club doing anything stupid and becoming a 'victim',  as you put it.  However, equally, I don't want them sitting still with their hands over their peepers, singing lalalah whilst the world passes them by.

I find it blizzard (sic) that there is so much fear being generated.  If you don't want to reach a destination, don't get on the bus but be mindful that routes change all the time and at some point you may be without a service.

My phone froze when I read this post. I half get the criticism of some junior clubs lack of investment in facilities tough, as there are several smaller less well supported EOS/LL clubs with far better facilities than many junior clubs.

:rolleyes:
Last time I was at Armadale it looked liked it hadn't had any investment in facilities since the Senior team played there.

One of my least favourite grounds, and the park seemed to always be a quagmire, but they did cracking stovies at Armadale!

12 hours ago, daleboy1969 said:

Quite a blizzard post.

15 hours ago, daleboy1969 said:

Junior stadiums are usually awful - there are some exceptions of course. 'Senior' is a label which doesn't mean that much anymore as there are 'Senior' clubs that are not licenced, cannot get automatic Scottish Cup entry and cannot be promoted into the LL therefore are in theory as much in the pyramid as the Junior clubs.  The Senior clubs you refer to are probably not investing in facilities as they are not going anywhere.

But there is a major issue with the pyramid just now - that clubs are in Level 6 of it without being big enough to sustain the costs and need to widen recruitment to survive in the LL. Wigtown's decision to sit this season out was a crying shame - a club that had invested in its ground and was decent on the pitch, but was not able to go up a level after its own 'amateur-in-all-but-name' league was ill-advisedly shoehorned into the pyramid. Wigtown should not be in a league that feeds the LL directly. Whether Junior clubs gravitate towards the pyramid or not has no bearing on what is there already. As I see it, the feeders are weak because the Juniors are absent.

If Junior football gets destroyed, it will have been because, like a fish, it has rotted from the head down. The problem is that it's hard to see the rot when that head is also buried in the sand!

Edited by cmontheloknow