Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 hours ago, parkcircus said:

To build even closer links to communities they could Raffle the sponsorship so local companies have the chance to be the proud sponsor of the competition,  and it could be something clubs sold, we have nearly 40 new trackside sponsors this year, I’m sure the 158  junior clubs could get 3 local sponsors at £100 each to enter, easy £50k and one happy camper at the end

Out of interest how many clubs can sell enough advertising to keep them afloat let along to give the money away?  I ken its a tough job getting people to advertise and sponsor clubs at any level.

10 hours ago, parkcircus said:

To build even closer links to communities they could Raffle the sponsorship so local companies have the chance to be the proud sponsor of the competition,  and it could be something clubs sold, we have nearly 40 new trackside sponsors this year, I’m sure the 158  junior clubs could get 3 local sponsors at £100 each to enter, easy £50k and one happy camper at the end

It's an innovative idea, but in practice I couldn't see it working - too big a proportion of the SJFA membership enter the cup with the knowledge they've got zero chance of actually winning it - virtually all the north region and anything outside the superleagues certainly going by the last few decades or so won't be in with a shout - so a lot of the smaller clubs would be reluctant to hand over what might be a substantial chunk of change to them ultimately for the benefit of one of the bigger sides.

Handing over £300 doesn't seem like a lot, but it will be to a Newmains United, Kirkcaldy YM or Whitehills.

Many ideas suggested here are good, but the challenge is to take it from being a good idea to putting it in place and making it work.

Other ideas are the 'rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic' type. And clubs falling into the pyramid is merely moving control to the SFA so they can kill off the junior game, their long held ambition.

Unfortunately any discussion on here will only include those currently interested, and we end up talking to ourselves. Posters mention supporters of junior clubs in their 70s and 80s who have supported those clubs since their school days. Where are those school kids today? Individual clubs try hard on their own to attract them, but it is disjointed and not supported by the SJFA.

Promoting the game comes in many forms. Publicising fixtures well ahead (if not for the full season from day 1) would be a BIG help.

But when we have something like thejuniors.info coming along which was created totally by junior supporters for the benefit of the junior game, the SJFA goes out of their way to NOT use them, avoiding all attempts at cooperation, preferring a gobby jounro from the SUN (of all newspapers) to be part of cup draws etc.

So the biggest block to ANY change are those individuals governing our game. Important to separate the posts from the individuals. For example it is not the post of West Region secretary that blocks progress, it is the person in post. Just as those elected to regional or management committees who work to benefit their own club rather than the game overall are preventing change and progress. This applies right across the junior game. 

Getting the right people in post starts with getting the right people on your club committee. 

2 minutes ago, Garret Deasy said:

And clubs falling into the pyramid is merely moving control to the SFA so they can kill off the junior game, their long held ambition.

The SFA could kill off the SJFA at any point they see fit with the minimum of fuss - that they choose not to do so says that they are quite happy for the status quo to carry on. 

2 minutes ago, Garret Deasy said:

Many ideas suggested here are good, but the challenge is to take it from being a good idea to putting it in place and making it work.

Other ideas are the 'rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic' type. And clubs falling into the pyramid is merely moving control to the SFA so they can kill off the junior game, their long held ambition.

Unfortunately any discussion on here will only include those currently interested, and we end up talking to ourselves. Posters mention supporters of junior clubs in their 70s and 80s who have supported those clubs since their school days. Where are those school kids today? Individual clubs try hard on their own to attract them, but it is disjointed and not supported by the SJFA.

Promoting the game comes in many forms. Publicising fixtures well ahead (if not for the full season from day 1) would be a BIG help.

But when we have something like thejuniors.info coming along which was created totally by junior supporters for the benefit of the junior game, the SJFA goes out of their way to NOT use them, avoiding all attempts at cooperation, preferring a gobby jounro from the SUN (of all newspapers) to be part of cup draws etc.

So the biggest block to ANY change are those individuals governing our game. Important to separate the posts from the individuals. For example it is not the post of West Region secretary that blocks progress, it is the person in post. Just as those elected to regional or management committees who work to benefit their own club rather than the game overall are preventing change and progress. This applies right across the junior game. 

Getting the right people in post starts with getting the right people on your club committee. 

I'm curious.  Where is your evidence that this is the case?

10 hours ago, Garret Deasy said:

Would this have any bearing on this debate? 

https://www.leadinggovernance.com/blog/nolan-principles-20-years

A report from a Government committee setting down suggestions on how to run a previously sectarian country with honest principles?

Sorry,  coffee hasn't kicked in yet so can't see the relevance.

22 hours ago, Garret Deasy said:

If every club gets forward thinking professional people on their committees, focussing on performance, growth, better financial returns, proper governance and leadership... do you really the junior 'game' would survive? 

49 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

If every club gets forward thinking professional people on their committees, focussing on performance, growth, better financial returns, proper governance and leadership... do you really the junior 'game' would survive? 

If the world at large is to be used as evidence,  all it leads to is more corruption :(.  

Most clubs struggle to drum up committee members as it is, I'm not sure where all these 'professional' people would come from.  hence the likelihood of corruption.

... sorry i think  you might be missing my point... :huh:

I was quoting a post about getting the right people on committees to shake up (and change) the Junior leadership...

It is very difficult to encourage people to volunteer their time for football - But I'm suggesting that if you get good folk in who want to take a club forward, and they properly appraise the current situation (in the juniors) versus the potential for growth and success elsewhere (in the pyramid) and apply logic, they'd surely be asking what's the benefit of staying where we are?

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 08:51, Jason King said:

The SFA could kill off the SJFA at any point they see fit with the minimum of fuss - that they choose not to do so says that they are quite happy for the status quo to carry on. 

Not being au fait with the SFA governing legislation, I can't say for certain, but my suspicion is that this oft quoted statement is urban myth. Even if you are right in respect of there being a legal route I consider such a move be so fraught with potential catastrophe that I suggest that if they could, it certainly wouldn't be with minimum fuss! 

38 minutes ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Not being au fait with the SFA governing legislation, I can't say for certain, but my suspicion is that this oft quoted statement is urban myth. Even if you are right in respect of there being a legal route I consider such a move be so fraught with potential catastrophe that I suggest that if they could, it certainly wouldn't be with minimum fuss! 

Why do you think its a myth? The SJFA alongside SYFA, SAFA, SSFA, SWFA and SWF all fall under the remit of the SFA.

If minded the SFA can run them from tomorrow - if you'd been involved in the running of a club through the SYFA over the past year or so you'd have seen how easy it is for the SFA to come in, take control and amend process and procedures. They choose not to in the Juniors - although how long that will last is probably the question fans of the grade rather than the clubs should be seriously worried about.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Don't think he was ever slated for wanting a pyramid, more to do with some of the other stuff he came up with. Pyramid News and his other publications were a decent source of info pre internet days.

Aye I used to read that although some of his ideas were barking mad.