Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Hi my name is Bill ... I don't have another club ... you can only really truly have one team ... and your national team. imho of course 

You're different though bill as it's only natural that you only have one team as the bankies were senior for ages and the likes of the old firm/ Aberdeen / Dundee united / st mirren etc were your rivals so it would be a conflict of interest for either of them to be your second team , junior fans would see a senior team as their second team without any conflict of interest whatever , hence the big difference in bankies fans only supporting one club .

Just now, theshed said:

You're different though bill as it's only natural that you only have one team as the bankies were senior for ages and the likes of the old firm/ Aberdeen / Dundee united / st mirren etc were your rivals so it would be a conflict of interest for either of them to be your second team , junior fans would see a senior team as their second team without any conflict of interest whatever , hence the big difference in bankies fans only supporting one club .

I know mate ... however I think deep down you know what your choice would really be if forced to make it. 

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

9/10 the main alliance is to the senior side. 

How do you really judge that though?  If you follow your Junior team, home and away, all season long then surely your 'alliance' is with the Junior side.

I may be an enigma here but I spend my time and money following Bo'ness United, so for me to then proclaim a senior 'main' allegiance would make me feel like an imposter.

On 28 November 2017 at 08:49, cmontheloknow said:

I lived in England from 10-21 and watched my local non-league team who at that time were 1/2 divisons below football league. Crowds of anything from 400-1500 for league games, division dependent. Virtually everyone had a 'big' team but the local side were more accessible and cheaper.  I know at Pollok most supporters have a 'big' team (not necessarily OF) but there are still a few Third Lanark guys around and about too. Others have very much ditched their OF allegiance into the Clyde.

Anybody regulars from the Hi Hi days must be a good age.

49 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Anybody regulars from the Hi Hi days must be a good age.

And they are! Are we not always told our support is older than the land itself?!

They'll be 60+ as some watched as older children.

Edited by cmontheloknow

The near future certainly isn’t in the current pyramid structure, and leaving doesn’t help the rest, why not make the product that’s already there better.

Better Fan Interaction
- Central news, video and information portal 
- Live Saturday online show like SportsCentre, distributes on social media channels
- Player performance charts, league top scorers, player of the week, team of the week

Better Locality Integration
-  Junior Football Day, like recordstoreday, non league football day, every club makes a full day of it.
- Rewards for teams that have players from their town in the team

Funding it all
- Create a Scottish Juniors lottery

That’s the easy ones, leaving isn’t going to help

I should add these are my
personal views ;)

the non-league or Juniors day thing is the most frustratingly overlooked idea. 

The January round of the Junior cup falls on 20/01/18 which is exactly the same date as Senior football emerges from it's winter shut down to play the 4th round of the Senior Cup. A disgraceful waste of a great opportunity to showcase the Junior game at it's best unopposed by other matches. 

Why not exploit the absence of Senior matches and  play the Junior cup ties a week earlier, making the effort to pitch it as a "support your local Junior side" day or whatever and maybe (actually definitely) some Senior fans will take an interest and come along. That particular round of the Senior Scottish is the big "romantic" date in the football calendar where the wee teams and big teams find themselves in the same pot and a weekend of Junior cup games in a similar vein the preceding week would strike a chord with a lot of Senior fans. 

The Junior Cup is still probably the best "product" the grade has in terms of Junior brand recognition (for want of a less twaty turn of phrase) and ability to create outward interest. Folk who don't give a toss about Junior football can still tell you about the finals. It should be used as much as possible to attract these folk through the turnstiles. 

Edited by Shanner

27 minutes ago, Shanner said:

the non-league or Juniors day thing is the most frustratingly overlooked idea. 

The January round of the Junior cup falls on 20/01/18 which is exactly the same date as Senior football emerges from it's winter shut down to play the 4th round of the Senior Cup. A disgraceful waste of a great opportunity to showcase the Junior game at it's best unopposed by other matches. 

Why not exploit the absence of Senior matches and  play the Junior cup ties a week earlier, making the effort to pitch it as a "support your local Junior side" day or whatever and maybe (actually definitely) some Senior fans will take an interest and come along. That particular round of the Senior Scottish is the big "romantic" date in the football calendar where the wee teams and big teams find themselves in the same pot and a weekend of Junior cup games in a similar vein the preceding week would strike a chord with a lot of Senior fans. 

The Junior Cup is still probably the best "product" the grade has in terms of Junior brand recognition (for want of a less twaty turn of phrase) and ability to create outward interest. Folk who don't give a toss about Junior football can still tell you about the finals. It should be used as much as possible to attract these folk through the turnstiles. 

Yet it struggles to get a sponsor

3 hours ago, parkcircus said:

The near future certainly isn’t in the current pyramid structure, and leaving doesn’t help the rest, why not make the product that’s already there better.

Better Fan Interaction
- Central news, video and information portal 
- Live Saturday online show like SportsCentre, distributes on social media channels
- Player performance charts, league top scorers, player of the week, team of the week

Better Locality Integration
-  Junior Football Day, like recordstoreday, non league football day, every club makes a full day of it.
- Rewards for teams that have players from their town in the team

Funding it all
- Create a Scottish Juniors lottery

That’s the easy ones, leaving isn’t going to help

I should add these are my
personal views ;)

Don't disagree with any of that. I'm not sure what's in Tom Johntone's job description, however I think that the SJFA should invest in a professional, full time officer. The remit to include Web presentation, fixture compilation, commercial and community promotion.

1 minute ago, Shanner said:

No' enough Locality Integration mate. 

To build even closer links to communities they could Raffle the sponsorship so local companies have the chance to be the proud sponsor of the competition,  and it could be something clubs sold, we have nearly 40 new trackside sponsors this year, I’m sure the 158  junior clubs could get 3 local sponsors at £100 each to enter, easy £50k and one happy camper at the end