Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, Che Dail said:

This operates successfully in Europe and would add interest to football here - although Hibs and Berwick had under 20 teams in the EoS a couple of seasons ago but discontinued.  

Would be something to get supporters along even if it is your 1st team against a reserve side.

Personally I think it would be another good reason to join the pyramid if pro clubs are represented at that level.

It didn't work in England for the Johnstone Paint Trophy or whatever it gets called these days

2 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

It didn't work in England for the Johnstone Paint Trophy or whatever it gets called these days

It is quite common further down the pyramid. I could get examples if you insist. Another anomaly there is dual registration. Ie a player signs for two teams as long as they are separated by a few divisions. Play for the big team on Saturday and the wee one through the week.

No harm in trying things out.
At international level there was also a proposal to reduce games to 60 minute (but stop the clock when the ball goes out of play) and one which only allows captains to talk to referees to stop all the haranguing that goes on.  Both could be trialled at semi-pro games - would be interesting to see how that worked out.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/17/football-rule-makers-reducing-games-60-minutes

I think it was Barnet that took it upon themselves a few seasons back to make it that only the captain could speak to the ref, the number of bookings they picked up dropped dramatically. Sounds obvious, but it meant later in the season players weren't missing games due to racking up points for moaning at the ref.

I think it was Barnet that took it upon themselves a few seasons back to make it that only the captain could speak to the ref, the number of bookings they picked up dropped dramatically. Sounds obvious, but it meant later in the season players weren't missing games due to racking up points for moaning at the ref.

This is a no brainer for me , nobody minds players being booked for mistimed tackles as it's a fine line and often it can be simply because your opponent out skills you , dissent though is infuriating and I would go as far as saying players should pay their own fines through it , a ref will never change his mind , if anything he will go against you in the remainder of the game if you give him it tight

Still need to beat the best of the east in the playoff regardless. But I think East Kilbride, BSC and Cumbernauld are all technically East clubs so wouldn’t make much difference. With as many East teams in and around the Edinburgh area its actually less travel on average for us to join the east....

How the Fech can East kilbride and Colts be classed as east teams ??

Interesting re LK -  although neither club seem to mention the tie up on their respective websites.
Long term BSC do have a fan base to tap into with all the kids and parents at the club, a lot of folk engaged with the club which is helpful when making funding applications.

Cumbernauld Colts are similar with youngsters, amateur and iced 35s. Doesn't mean to say they will be interested in watching the lowland league. IMO They won't.

4 hours ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Thats what the east region says in its list of registered clubs.

It also states many clubs on there. East Kilbride are definitely a west team, were set to join the South of Scotland League before the lowland league was formed. The East of Scotland FA lists any club that has played one of its member clubs on their website under clubs.

A number of the folk who use or read these pages will have been contributers to the Evening News junior round up. The News has taken a decision that it will no longer use individual match summaries. The decision says more about the current position of the newspaper group  (it comes with layoffs of contracted staff) than it does about junior football but it's another little step towards the loss of coverage for the game at this level. 

4 hours ago, HTG said:

A number of the folk who use or read these pages will have been contributers to the Evening News junior round up. The News has taken a decision that it will no longer use individual match summaries. The decision says more about the current position of the newspaper group  (it comes with layoffs of contracted staff) than it does about junior football but it's another little step towards the loss of coverage for the game at this level. 

Many years ago I used to get paid £10 for providing match reports of Blackburn games for their Monday edition, they then effectively stopped covering West Lothian clubs so I stopped buying the paper.  The West Lothian Courier continues to provide great coverage though.

4 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Many years ago I used to get paid £10 for providing match reports of Blackburn games for their Monday edition, they then effectively stopped covering West Lothian clubs so I stopped buying the paper.  The West Lothian Courier continues to provide great coverage though.

I guess they were still paying the same to cover Lothian superleague matches rather than all of West Lothian  (probably disappeared with the WL edition). They're fucked anyway if the Gazette is anything to go by.  The whole group will be down the pan sooner rather than later as they're basically offering a Metro service but with a purchase price. It's sad to see when you look back throughthe history of a newspaper like the Gazette. It was doing ok until maybe 7 or 8 years ago. 

Anyway, back on topic ... super super league? ?

2 minutes ago, HTG said:

I guess they were still paying the same to cover Lothian superleague matches rather than all of West Lothian  (probably disappeared with the WL edition). They're fucked anyway if the Gazette is anything to go by.  The whole group will be down the pan sooner rather than later as they're basically offering a Metro service but with a purchase price. It's sad to see when you look back throughthe history of a newspaper like the Gazette. It was doing ok until maybe 7 or 8 years ago. 

Anyway, back on topic ... super super league? ?

Journal