Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

7 minutes ago, wullie robb said:

8 or 9 would maintain in the Juniors Superleague? 

Have you watched them Alan.. 

The Shire are a pub team, BSC, Spartans and EK are decent. 

If Kelty go into that league next season,  I reckon they would finish top without to much bother. 

Your arse Rodgers would get in any Junior side. The back bone of shire team was CAmelons team. Speculation that Grant will be back.

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Is this the dream that the SPFL board has when they introduced the Lowland League? I would doubt it.

BSC have 700 kids playing sports, with a semi-professional football team at the top plus ambitious people leading it with the drive to go as far as they can.  I'm sure they'll get their home ground sorted out soon enough, seems like a decent enough model to aspire to:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13158300.Broomhill__from_kids__sports_club_to_senior_football_/

Does East Stirlingshire have any youth set up at all?

15 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

BSC have 700 kids playing sports, with a semi-professional football team at the top plus ambitious people leading it with the drive to go as far as they can.  I'm sure they'll get their home ground sorted out soon enough, seems like a decent enough model to aspire to:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13158300.Broomhill__from_kids__sports_club_to_senior_football_/

THey are tied up with LK Galaxy. BSC don't have a fanbase. They have no home. I think thats what the guy was trying to get at .

29 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Wonder where these 700 kids go on a Saturday afternoon. Obviously not to watch their big team although great to see so many kids involved in sport/football.

Edited by santheman

30 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

THey are tied up with LK Galaxy. BSC don't have a fanbase. They have no home. I think thats what the guy was trying to get at .

Interesting re LK -  although neither club seem to mention the tie up on their respective websites.

Long term BSC do have a fan base to tap into with all the kids and parents at the club, a lot of folk engaged with the club which is helpful when making funding applications.

Edited by Che Dail

1 minute ago, santheman said:

Wonder where these 700 kids go on a Saturday afternoon. Obviously not to watch their big team although great to see so many kids involved in sport/football.

Possibly they're too busy playing football or hockey or rugby or whatever else is available to them. 

1 hour ago, Che Dail said:

Interesting re LK -  although neither club seem to mention the tie up on their respective websites.

Long term BSC do have a fan base to tap into with all the kids and parents at the club, a lot of folk engaged with the club which is helpful when making funding applications.

I don't want to detract from the good that is being done, but there is no correlation between kids involved and future support. 

3 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

From stirling albion supporter on the Bsc Glasgow thread on Lowland League forum.

With us having no game today, I decided to venture along to Recreation Park and watch BSC Glasgow face Cumbernauld Colts, see how our old friends Martin Grehan, Ross McMillan & Jamie Mills were getting on.

It’s actually amazing how many players BSC had that I knew of, Ceiran Donnelly, Lloyd Kinnaird, Stevie Murray, Jack Smith and Ryan McStay, who have all enjoyed lower league success over the past 10 years, so I thought it was going to be a stroll in the park for them.....how wrong I was.

The first thing that struck me was how little fans both clubs had in attendance. A rough count before kick off had me at 32, but a couple more could of been hiding somewhere, unnoticed. It’s scary to think with BSC being top of the league that they could soon be replacing a club like Cowdenbeath, Elgin, Clyde or Berwick. Is this the dream that the SPFL board has when they introduced the Lowland League? I would doubt it.

Two of the players you mention Grehan and Donnelly were junior with Kilbirnie last season. Have no doubts had Donnelly got the deal he wanted he would have stayed while big Paulo seems to find it easier to score in Lowland league than juniors. 

2 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Your arse Rodgers would get in any Junior side. The back bone of shire team was CAmelons team. Speculation that Grant will be back.

Your delusional Alan, Grant can go back all he wants, still a pub team. Andy was a cracking player about five years ago. 

So the shire team that finished runners up to EK were as you say mostly camelon players. 

And yet that camelon team didn't get near top six in the juniors? 

Yep definitely lowland league superior Your Arse. 

39 minutes ago, wullie robb said:

Your delusional Alan, Grant can go back all he wants, still a pub team. Andy was a cracking player about five years ago. 

So the shire team that finished runners up to EK were as you say mostly camelon players. 

And yet that camelon team didn't get near top six in the juniors? 

Yep definitely lowland league superior Your Arse. 

NEver said lowland league was superior I said that the top 8 lowland league teams would be alright with junior teams.

40 minutes ago, clash city rocker said:

Two of the players you mention Grehan and Donnelly were junior with Kilbirnie last season. Have no doubts had Donnelly got the deal he wanted he would have stayed while big Paulo seems to find it easier to score in Lowland league than juniors. 

It wasn't me that said it was a stirling albion fan. But on your point a guy I know played both Lowland League and Super League Junior. He said that Lowland League is more time on the ball and more technical. Junior is a lot more phyisical

Also,no mention of Cumbernauld Colts being a decent outfit who beat top of the league  BSC 4-1 at the weekend...they are also a relatively new community club with ambitions...similar numbers in their youth set-up plus various youth/amateur and ladies team.

Its not all about the first team as they have a pathway into adult football for all abilities...they may even include a Junior team as part of the structure,who knows.What it does demonstrate is a club with a vision and prepared to move with the times.

36 minutes ago, jinky said:

Also,no mention of Cumbernauld Colts being a decent outfit who beat top of the league  BSC 4-1 at the weekend...they are also a relatively new community club with ambitions...similar numbers in their youth set-up plus various youth/amateur and ladies team.

Its not all about the first team as they have a pathway into adult football for all abilities...they may even include a Junior team as part of the structure,who knows.What it does demonstrate is a club with a vision and prepared to move with the times.

At least the Colts have a suitable base in the town they are from. It would be good if htey could start to get more of a following

Maybe its less awkward for most people who just follow one team. But I support Camelon but also like the Shire and Dunipace. IF all these teams were in the one structure could I still follow all 3 in the same structure or potentially the same Division? Where as right now their is no chance of them meeting other than Junior cup for Camelon and Dunipace.

I don't want to detract from the good that is being done, but there is no correlation between kids involved and future support. 

I'm sure the Rossvale guys would agree, they also have hundreds of players at all levels but that doesn't translate into people who want to pay to watch the Juniors on a Saturday.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I'm sure the Rossvale guys would agree, they also have hundreds of players at all levels but that doesn't translate into people who want to pay to watch the Juniors on a Saturday.

The best analogy I've heard is that most parents treat it like joining a gym and being a member doesn't translate into any real afliliation - if your gym started a competitive weightlifting club, it's unlikely you'd start following them around to competitions...

It's much the same with those clubs; parents are only interested in getting their kids to and from their game in the morning with zero intention of blowing their whole Saturday following the first team of an organisation they primarily see as providing a service.

We've seen it again and again with sides perhaps naively expecting a much larger buy-in from their huge memberships that they end up getting: BSC expected 2-300 a game and ended up with maybe 10% of that, and I imagine Cumbernauld will be similar. Closer to home, both Rossvale and Gartcairn haven't managed to translate membership into support so far - although the latter did get a few big attendances when they first joined the Juniors, the curiosity factor didn't seem to last long.

The best analogy I've heard is that most parents treat it like joining a gym and being a member doesn't translate into any real afliliation - if your gym started a competitive weightlifting club, it's unlikely you'd start following them around to competitions...
It's much the same with those clubs; parents are only interested in getting their kids to and from their game in the morning with zero intention of blowing their whole Saturday following the first team of an organisation they primarily see as providing a service.
We've seen it again and again with sides perhaps naively expecting a much larger buy-in from their huge memberships that they end up getting: BSC expected 2-300 a game and ended up with maybe 10% of that, and I imagine Cumbernauld will be similar. Closer to home, both Rossvale and Gartcairn haven't managed to translate membership into support so far - although the latter did get a few big attendances when they first joined the Juniors, the curiosity factor didn't seem to last long.

Good post , I think teams like BSC need a good amount of time to create their own history / fan base , junior teams do so with good Scottish cup runs / winning the cup , however BSC can't win a national cup realistically speaking so their goals are obviously to go through the league's , must admit when we played them in the Scottish cup that I was surprised at the lack of support they had , about 40 or so kids and half a dozen adults , whether playing up in alloa is a big factor im unsure although it can't help at all , will be interesting if they went up to the senior league's to see if their support builds up lots , success can help but they will need time and to build their own history and maybe the crowds will follow .