Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, drummie said:

I am sorry to say I feel the quality of the product is not the best.  Until there is one unified body operating Scottish football things are not going to get better anytime soon. Scottish Junior Football was great many years ago but is way off the pace now. A unified force could enforce ground grading requirements for teams who wish to progress.

Compared to the standards of your counterparts south of the border there is little there for the supporters and the standards of play leaves a lot to be desired. 

When we talk about about 'offer'  what have we got in mind ?.  A lot of grounds do not even have a semblance of cover let alone anything else. Great people associated with the clubs but they need help and support from those in power.

The same could be said for the standard of play in the league(s) that you refer to, which at the end of the day is what it`s all about. (regardless of the presence of cover or otherwise) The presence of the unified body down South that you refer to doesn`t do anything to guarantee any sort of quality with the games.

20 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Define local? Should Forfar athletic be playing in an Angus league?(where the disparity between the top teams and bottom sides would be ridiculous) an east league?(which would still involve trips of over 2 hours, and again with a drop in standards) doesn't seem worth it to save a couple of hours journey a season.

This only 10 years ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/forfar_athletic/4920302.stm

Last year Berwick made a loss of over £80k.

Something clearly isn't working.

49 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Define local? Should Forfar athletic be playing in an Angus league?(where the disparity between the top teams and bottom sides would be ridiculous) an east league?(which would still involve trips of over 2 hours, and again with a drop in standards) doesn't seem worth it to save a couple of hours journey a season.

... by the way you'll find Forfar in the 2nd tier of my proposal here:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/244912-the-pyramid-a-proposed-structure/

Scottish Football Pyramid (1).pdf

30 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Something clearly isn't working.

Berwicks financial management. 

If the clubs at the bottom half of the SPFL wanted regional leagues they could easily arrange a vote and look to change things - that they don't should tell you that they are content to play in a national league. Montrose and Annan aren't going to vote to make their league less competitive on the basis of geography.

41 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

What a lot of bollux! Bo’ness will be making decisions in their own interests and absolutely heehaw to do with the Rose.

I've seen little to suggest that Bo'ness will move to the EOSFL next season. Whats happening with the ground when is the astro etc going to be done?

10 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I've seen little to suggest that Bo'ness will move to the EOSFL next season.

So, you didn't see the earlier post in this thread then?;

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:56, Che Dail said:

This is a cut & paste from the Bo'ness website:

At Bo’ness United we want to progress and it would be remiss of us not to look at ways to develop the football club and as such we are working towards being ready with our license application. In order to receive your license it is now a stipulation that you must commit to the pyramid.

We have looked at the potential benefits of joining the pyramid and believe that in order to compete in the future this is something we must look to do.  The financial benefits of becoming licensed far outweigh the revenues that can be made if we stay within Junior Football as it is at the present time.

The club firmly believe that there should be no ceiling and that all teams should find the level that suits them in congruence with their own abilities, whether that be League Two, the Lowland League or wherever.  Irrespective we believe a full pyramid should be in place.

Bo’ness United want to be part of the pyramid, Scottish football is evolving and we truly believe that there will be significant changes.  We want to be at the forefront of change whether that be playing in the East of Scotland League, The Lowland league or with the Juniors if they become part of a revised pyramid that encompasses all clubs.

Read it how you want to read it, but it seems fairly evident they want to join the pyramid.

This might not mean that they are about to join the EOSFL next season, but at the very least it does suggest they might.

....and moving Senior would surely open up far more funding opportunities for the renovation of Newton than staying in the Juniors - its a no brainer to move.

1 hour ago, drs said:

....and moving Senior would surely open up far more funding opportunities for the renovation of Newton than staying in the Juniors - its a no brainer to move.

Not really because anyone can apply for grants. Council aren' throwing money at shire and they are senioreally so they aren' going to throw it at boness

2 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Not really because anyone can apply for grants. Council aren' throwing money at shire and they are senioreally so they aren' going to throw it at boness

I take it you are not aware of The Newtown Park Association.  It's no longer in the hands of the council.

3 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I said funding opportunities, there are more places you can get funding than the council and grants.

Good luck to those who want to progress into the pyramid I hope in time it's compulsory but can't see it. Would love Beith to take this route but not in its current format.  The exodus is starting in the east and it's just a matter of time before 1 team takes the plunge in the west.

When you talk about quality you must have to something to measure against. If playing matches without assistant referee's, having to pack an umbrella and wellington boots to stand in the rain surrounded by mud; that may be someone's vision of quality.  Unfortunately there are no benchmarks to measure Scottish Junior Football so hence the Association remains trapped in a time warp.

It is good that there is movement towards a pyramid. However if is left to the officialdom thinking of the SJFA that has prevailed for the last decades then it will probably take 100 years to lay the first level of the pyramid !!.

As I said good people involved at Junior football clubs but they really do need leadership and hard work from above.

From stirling albion supporter on the Bsc Glasgow thread on Lowland League forum.

With us having no game today, I decided to venture along to Recreation Park and watch BSC Glasgow face Cumbernauld Colts, see how our old friends Martin Grehan, Ross McMillan & Jamie Mills were getting on.

It’s actually amazing how many players BSC had that I knew of, Ceiran Donnelly, Lloyd Kinnaird, Stevie Murray, Jack Smith and Ryan McStay, who have all enjoyed lower league success over the past 10 years, so I thought it was going to be a stroll in the park for them.....how wrong I was.

The first thing that struck me was how little fans both clubs had in attendance. A rough count before kick off had me at 32, but a couple more could of been hiding somewhere, unnoticed. It’s scary to think with BSC being top of the league that they could soon be replacing a club like Cowdenbeath, Elgin, Clyde or Berwick. Is this the dream that the SPFL board has when they introduced the Lowland League? I would doubt it.

If Junior clubs moved en masse you'd see clubs like BSC dropping down to their rightful level. They're above where they should be because Junior clubs are on the outside looking in.

How many times do you need this explained to you? What's so difficult about it?

26 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If Junior clubs moved en masse you'd see clubs like BSC dropping down to their rightful level. They're above where they should be because Junior clubs are on the outside looking in.

How many times do you need this explained to you? What's so difficult about it?

Shows what you know. BSC Glasgow are at the top of the Lowland League you lunatic. Potentially going into the league. They have the players that would hold their own in a combined League.  The top 8 or 9 Lowland League clubs would easily maintain a top division.

What you claim that was explained to me is East of Scotland clubs who aren't up to the level not Lowland League clubs who have no fans but still have good teams like BSC Glasgow. So what do you not get about that?