Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

10 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

To be fair I don't think the SJFA's not being able to conjure up a tournament programme is going to change anyone's mind on the way forward.

They badly misjudged both clubs' and punters' attitudes towards the tournament; had it been arranged for later in the season - maybe over the Easter weekend as it was previously - crowds would have been a lot better, but losing a whole weekend's fixtures just before the bad weather no doubt sets in seemed ill-judged at best.

I don't think anyone's sceptical about the need for change in the West, and we came a bawhair away from effecting some important changes in the close season, however as things stand at the moment there isn't any workable pyramid over this side of the country, although someone will almost inevitably come on and argue that the SoS league in fact covers the West. 

It doesn't - either geographically or playing standards-wise.

This season has been interesting thanks to Kelty blazing the trail and illuminating just how poor the non-league senior standard is below the LL...if they can manage double figures virtually every week against the ostensibly stronger EoS league, one can only imagine what carnage a Pollok or Talbot would wreak on the school playing fields of D&G against the SoS were they to join.

The programme was mentioned as part of the overall poor organisation of the tournament, viewed in isolation it's of course fairly unimportant.

However this, together with the constant moans about poor fixture planning, plus lack of Junior Cup sponsor, must have some clubs in the West Region (and elsewhere) thinking that something needs to change.

55 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The programme was mentioned as part of the overall poor organisation of the tournament, viewed in isolation it's of course fairly unimportant.

However this, together with the constant moans about poor fixture planning, plus lack of Junior Cup sponsor, must have some clubs in the West Region (and elsewhere) thinking that something needs to change.

I may be wrong, but I think there's more appetite to reform things from within - as I said, we came within three votes of an important reform - than decamp en masse to the hinterlands of Galloway.

I've said it before, the current Pyramid works for sides in the East - it was set up by them and largely for them, and I can understand why some teams in the East Region will be looking into it seriously. Elsewhere it's a non-starter, with the Highland League hoovering up all the Pyramid's  advantages and locking the trapdoor below them, and with no West equivalent senior setup to go to in the first place.  The SoS is what it is, and I'm conscious of not wanting to bash it unnecessarily but no-one in their right mind would claim moving there would constitute promotion from the West Premier...relegation to the Central Second more like, and that's being charitable to many of the sides involved.

Even if someone in the West took the jump and traipsed up and down the A74 and A75 for a season, what awaits them in the LL in terms of "local" derbies they could generate interest in?

EK.  That's about it unless one applies the loosest interpretation of "local"....Alloa, Annan, Dalbeattie?

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

The South Challenge Cup doesn't have a sponsor either.  So is the world going to come to the end.

24 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I may be wrong, but I think there's more appetite to reform things from within - as I said, we came within three votes of an important reform - than decamp en masse to the hinterlands of Galloway.

I've said it before, the current Pyramid works for sides in the East - it was set up by them and largely for them, and I can understand why some teams in the East Region will be looking into it seriously. Elsewhere it's a non-starter, with the Highland League hoovering up all the Pyramid's  advantages and locking the trapdoor below them, and with no West equivalent senior setup to go to in the first place.  The SoS is what it is, and I'm conscious of not wanting to bash it unnecessarily but no-one in their right mind would claim moving there would constitute promotion from the West Premier...relegation to the Central Second more like, and that's being charitable to many of the sides involved.

Even if someone in the West took the jump and traipsed up and down the A74 and A75 for a season, what awaits them in the LL in terms of "local" derbies they could generate interest in?

EK.  That's about it unless one applies the loosest interpretation of "local"....Alloa, Annan, Dalbeattie?

But it's within the power of clubs to open discussions with the SFA on the formation of a WoS senior league IF there was the desire to do so. I doubt it will happen anytime soon and as I've said before, a LL (West) is probably the way things should heading, but still.

What was the change that came within 3 votes of succeeding, a change of fixture secretary?

1 minute ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Only because you don't want to see it.  That is the main cup in the Senior non-league game.

It's not relevant. It doesn't cover all of Scotland, it doesn't have 160+ entrants, and it's final is not broadcast live on TV. Completely incomparable.

Is this the third season that the Junior Cup has been without a sponsor?

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

But it's within the power of clubs to open discussions with the SFA on the formation of a WoS senior league IF there was the desire to do so. I doubt it will happen anytime soon and as I've said before, a LL (West) is probably the way things should heading, but still.

What was the change that came within 3 votes of succeeding, a change of fixture secretary?

The very one. 31-28.

Interestingly, three teams didn't bother sending anyone to the AGM  from what I heard ....

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The very one. 31-28.

Interestingly, three teams didn't bother sending anyone to the AGM  from what I heard ....

Getting rid of the "auld guard" is the first step in taking the game forward, however it seems a lot of clubs are happy with it.

9 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

It's not relevant. It doesn't cover all of Scotland, it doesn't have 160+ entrants, and it's final is not broadcast live on TV. Completely incomparable.

Is this the third season that the Junior Cup has been without a sponsor?

So what is their comparison to the Junior cup then? There isn't that is the closest thing.

14 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I thought the SPFL Clubs had insisted on no more than two feeder divisions below League 2?

55 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I thought the SPFL Clubs had insisted on no more than two feeder divisions below League 2?

The  answer is Lowland League and Highland League and below the lowland league their be a West and East League. Its not rocket science just their isn't the interest or the capabilities for all these teams to become licenced which would for me be the only point of doing it

2 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

So what is their comparison to the Junior cup then? There isn't that is the closest thing.

I couldn't care less if there's a comparison or not, I'm talking about the ineptitude of the SJFA in failing to secure a sponsor for our flagship competition.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They probably did, but Pyramid's evolve and change.  Two feeder Lowland Leagues with full Junior involvement would both be stronger than the current LL.

Just now, Burnie_man said:

They probably did, but Pyramid's evolve and change.  Two feeder Lowland Leagues with full Junior involvement would both be stronger than the current LL.

I agree, but I'm not convinced anyone is interested in accommodation of the junior clubs or even a compromise. I also understand compromise isn't understood by many in the juniors.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I agree, but I'm not convinced anyone is interested in accommodation of the junior clubs or even a compromise. I also understand compromise isn't understood by many in the juniors.

You could be right,  it obviously doesn't help that the current incumbents at the top Junior table aren't interested in engaging on the subject.

57 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

You could be right,  it obviously doesn't help that the current incumbents at the top Junior table aren't interested in engaging on the subject.

What about this from the SJFA in September:

PYRAMID

The East Region Secretary updated the Committee on Pyramid.  It was agreed that a Working Party be formed from the Committee to determine the best possible way forward for Junior Football.

Sorted then eh?

A Working Party.