Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

38 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I think with a bit of luck it might help people realise not going to be straight forward for kelty

Maybe there will be a few overconfident sorts in their ranks but I'd imagine there's a prevailing awareness that as a club that their reputation is going to take a hammering if they fall short on the field next season.

Sorry if this is too much of a tangent but I was at the Thistle v St Mirren game today and at £12 it was great value and entertainment. 

Looking at the likes of Buckie playing both Dundee sides and EK getting a few interesting local fixtures makes it look like a very attractive place for a Junior team to be as well. Talbot v Ayr, Pollok v Queens Park, Lithgae v Hearts would be great to see. 

I expect the overall crowds aren't the best (was 2,000-odds there today) but it still seems quite a lively wee format that generates genuine interest in the fans involved and a good curtain opener to the season. I think the re-formatting of this (and that Harry Ramsden one) shows the powers that be aren't completely oblivious to the need for progressive change or incapable of implementing fresh ideas. 

It's this sort of thing that makes me think it would be far better on the inside looking out than outside looking in for the Juniors. 

Edited by Shanner

12 hours ago, Shanner said:

Sorry if this is too much of a tangent but I was at the Thistle v St Mirren game today and at £12 it was great value and entertainment. 

I expect the overall crowds aren't the best (was 2,000-odds there today) 

One of the final games of the 1979/80 season, same fixture, 0-0, same attendance. Sure i paid £2.50 to get into Firhill that night. Considering it's 37 years later maybe £12 isn't that bad.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

The standard of the Lowland league has to be called into question here. Hawick Royal Albert lost 7-0 at spartans on Saturday.  They lost 10-0 at home to selkirk.  Absolute shocking state of affairs for the game

It's one club with a very young and inexperienced manager and a pretty dubious recruitment policy over the summer (compared to the clubs that will be at the3 top end of the table).

Edited by cmontheloknow

3 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

The standard of the Lowland league has to be called into question here. Hawick Royal Albert lost 7-0 at spartans on Saturday.  They lost 10-0 at home to selkirk.  Absolute shocking state of affairs for the game

Pointing out the deficiencies of a single team to make a broader point about the standard of the entire league seems more than a tad agenda-driven. Highland League teams have had notable past success in the Scottish Cup and yet share a league with Fort William. 

The quality argument from a Junior perspective still makes no sense in any event, as nobody is suggesting that sides should play in that particular division forever. A Pyramid is a meritocracy so the Juniors could be in and out again in no time if they're better.  

7 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Pointing out the deficiencies of a single team to make a broader point about the standard of the entire league seems more than a tad agenda-driven. Highland League teams have had notable past success in the Scottish Cup and yet share a league with Fort William. 

The quality argument from a Junior perspective still makes no sense in any event, as nobody is suggesting that sides should play in that particular division forever. A Pyramid is a meritocracy so the Juniors could be in and out again in no time if they're better.  

I'm only pointing out what the likes of kelty are getting into when all those still don't want to see whats really in front of them.

Given Selkirk only narrowly finished above Hawick last year I don't particularly think them playing league games against each other is unusual in the slightest, the fact that they have gone from slightly better to winning 10-0 over a summer isn't a because of the league system.

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I'm only pointing out what the likes of kelty are getting into when all those still don't want to see whats really in front of them.

8 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

just ignoring whats in front of them. No wonder the countries in the state its in when people don't want to see whats right in front of them.  ITs all ideal world thinking

You're not really making any kind of sensible argument here so not sure how to respond. 

As for the bit in bold.:lol:

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Fauldhouse last season got pumped a good few times. 

Jeanfield, Carnoustie and broughty against Bonnyrigg. 5-0,5-0 and 6-0 respectively.

There's some big scores in any league. 

Dont see the point in your post? If Hawick are terrible they will be relegated. That's what happens in any league.

Just now, pipedreamer said:

Fauldhouse last season got pumped a good few times. 

Jeanfield, Carnoustie and broughty against Bonnyrigg. 5-0,5-0 and 6-0 respectively.

There's some big scores in any league. 

Dont see the point in your post? If Hawick are terrible they will be relegated. That's what happens in any league.

still not 10-0. I haven't seen a team in the super league get thrashed like that two gmaes in a row 10 at home is just shocking

What about the fact yous want to join something of poorer standard than you have

Not the old Juniors better than Seniors chestnut.

Kelty should be applauded for being a forward thinking club not willing to stagnate in the Juniors. They've just won the Super League and now want to have a crack at at league structure which could allow them to progress into the SFL. What's so wrong with that?

4 minutes ago, kleptomaniac said:

Not the old Juniors better than Seniors chestnut.

Kelty should be applauded for being a forward thinking club not willing to stagnate in the Juniors. They've just won the Super League and now want to have a crack at at league structure which could allow them to progress into the SFL. What's so wrong with that?

Thats upto them just don't think that gardens rosey as everyone here is making out. People think going into this is better than what we've got I just don't see it as that. How much interest has there been in east kilbrides Betfred campaign and beating Stenhousemuir none. Attendance 201.

Edited by AlanCamelonfan

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

It's fairly obvious the standard of the LL drops off dramatically outside of the top six or eight sides...it appears they've prioritised licensing box-ticking over onfield quality in some cases, and you'll occasionally get nonsense like this while the likes of LTHV in the league below can't get licensed, but would easily be a top-half LL team.

It can happen anywhere though - exactly the same thing happened with Rothes a couple of years ago in the Highland League - they shipped 200-odd goals over a 34-game season, including a good few double-figure bummings.