Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Is he an MLA? He's one of the endless number of politicians here whose name creeps up now and then but you can never remember why?

He's MP for West Tyrone

I thought even the IRA denounced that particular atrocity? In public anyway even if it was pinned on them later.

What a cretin

They did - it caused major consternation among the leadership at the time, and nearly sparked off similar retaliatory atrocities.

2 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

They did - it caused major consternation among the leadership at the time, and nearly sparked off similar retaliatory atrocities.

As I remember it random attacks on Roman Catholics in the Kingsmills area eased off after Kingsmills, but I'm open to correction. 

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42608564

I wonder what rising star we'll get now?

If any job in the UK would give you health issues it has to be secretary of state for planet NI. I always think it's a job for somebody with experience than a newbie.

Wasn't kingsmill a retaliation in itself?

44 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:
3 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Wasn't kingsmill a retaliation in itself?

Aye, there had been 4 or 5 Roman Catholics murdered in the previous couple of days, 3 of them were brothers I think. 

The first people on the scene were the parents of the brothers, I think.

"Four days later, on 4 January 1976, loyalists shot dead six Catholic civilians in two co-ordinated attacks. They killed three members of the Reavey family at their home in Whitecross and three members of the O'Dowd family at their home in Ballydougan. The Irish News reported that the killings were revenge for the bombing in Gilford"

Edited by Jacksgranda