The DUP

Blootoon87

37 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif

He'd have been better saying nothing as saying that. 

Thankfully none of his party colleagues have supported/excused him. Mind you, they haven't condemned it either.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Here's the video. Was there much in the news about the anniversary or is it just possible it was a random loaf?  Every day must be the anniversary of some atrocity or other.

https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/video-sinn-fein-mp-mcelduff-apologises-for-bizarre-bread-video-on-anniversary-of-kingsmill-massacre-36463418.html

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Here's the video. Was there much in the news about the anniversary or is it just possible it was a random loaf?  Every day must be the anniversary of some atrocity or other.

https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/video-sinn-fein-mp-mcelduff-apologises-for-bizarre-bread-video-on-anniversary-of-kingsmill-massacre-36463418.html

Can't recall much about it (being the anniversary) but I've been hors de combat this last fortnight.

As you say, every day is probably an anniversary.

However, McElduff is no fool, he's steeped in republican mythologoy, history and spin, he knew fine rightly what he was at, there are half a dozen brands of bread in any convenience store he knew what he was doing when he chose that one, also what sort of dick photgraphs* himself with a loaf of bread on his head at 12.30 in the morning?  He's just a hateful c*** of the highest order. 

* photographs

Edited by Jacksgranda

Hard to say wether it was an intentional dig or not, you can pick up on an anniversary of something every day as has been mentioned, my guess is he's publicly embarrassed whilst in private getting high fives from his fellow Shinners.....hateful w****r either way. 

3 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

What are the odds of Bawbeg Barry unknowingly picking a random loaf that just happens to coincide with a random sectarian atrocity?

He knew alright.

And on the anniversary of that atrocity.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Is he an MLA? He's one of the endless number of politicians here whose name creeps up now and then but you can never remember why?

He's MP for West Tyrone

2 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

They did - it caused major consternation among the leadership at the time, and nearly sparked off similar retaliatory atrocities.

As I remember it random attacks on Roman Catholics in the Kingsmills area eased off after Kingsmills, but I'm open to correction. 

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42608564

I wonder what rising star we'll get now?

If any job in the UK would give you health issues it has to be secretary of state for planet NI. I always think it's a job for somebody with experience than a newbie.

44 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:
3 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:
They did - it caused major consternation among the leadership at the time, and nearly sparked off similar retaliatory atrocities.

Wasn't kingsmill a retaliation in itself?

Aye, there had been 4 or 5 Roman Catholics murdered in the previous couple of days, 3 of them were brothers I think. 

The first people on the scene were the parents of the brothers, I think.

"Four days later, on 4 January 1976, loyalists shot dead six Catholic civilians in two co-ordinated attacks. They killed three members of the Reavey family at their home in Whitecross and three members of the O'Dowd family at their home in Ballydougan. The Irish News reported that the killings were revenge for the bombing in Gilford"

Edited by Jacksgranda