The DUP

Blootoon87

8 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Snap.

I'll raise you Liam Fox from EK Dodgy.

Unfair comparison. As far as I know the Belfast boy isn't an utter c**t and he didn't join the DUP.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Hopefully a sign of generational change. Not that I agree with all his politics.

How working class Catholic from west Belfast broke the mould as an Ulster Unionist

Very interesting.  

Not that I'm that knowledge about Northern Ireland, but a ex UDF guy (I think) was a Sinn Fein councillor at some point, Billy something.

There seems to be a few 'Irishy' names in the UUP, DUP e.g. Kinahan, McCarthy, O'Neill, and some 'Brit' names in the SDLP, SF e.g  Adams, Ritchie, Atwood.

I used to blindly assume that if you were named e.g. Stephen Nolan you would be a Catholic ; or Armstrong, Jennings you were a prod.

I think there was/is a Northern Irish party - NI21 - but I'm not sure if they are still going? Or popular? Actually, I'm probably winging this a bit, surely some of the NI posters can post a bit more about this.

On 14/12/2017 at 19:36, Kejan said:

Very interesting.  

Not that I'm that knowledge about Northern Ireland, but a ex UDF guy (I think) was a Sinn Fein councillor at some point, Billy something.

There seems to be a few 'Irishy' names in the UUP, DUP e.g. Kinahan, McCarthy, O'Neill, and some 'Brit' names in the SDLP, SF e.g  Adams, Ritchie, Atwood.

I used to blindly assume that if you were named e.g. Stephen Nolan you would be a Catholic ; or Armstrong, Jennings you were a prod.

I think there was/is a Northern Irish party - NI21 - but I'm not sure if they are still going? Or popular? Actually, I'm probably winging this a bit, surely some of the NI posters can post a bit more about this.

Most of those Irshy names as you say are Scottish. 

Can't always go by Surnames in Northern Ireland.  Only takes a mixed marriage. 

The N21 party are defunct. 

38 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And plenty of people simply changed their surnames according to which way things were going

Yes a lot of what can be called Planter names are changed.

Sean O' Casey for example was born John Casey to Protestant parents.

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:36, Kejan said:

Very interesting.  

Billy Leonard, ex RUC was a Sinn Fein councillor in the old Coleraine District Council, don't think he hot re-elected last time. I'm sure he was a popular figure in the Police Social Club of a Saturday night.

On 14/12/2017 at 16:40, welshbairn said:

Hopefully a sign of generational change. Not that I agree with all his politics.

How working class Catholic from west Belfast broke the mould as an Ulster Unionist

People shouldn't be labelled by their religion or their politics the peace treaty is in place. the republic and the north should be to busy looking forward to ever look back.

Jason Orange from Take That was actually christened “Jason de Valera O’Semtex” but he kept that quiet from the others. Especially Gary Mugabe and Robbie Hitler

14 hours ago, sureiknow said:

Isn't Casey an Irish name anyway?

I've got an Irish pal from outside Dublin who has been voting for independents and his theory is Fine Gael - Anglo-Irish 'west Brits ; Fianna Fail - corrupt, 'west Brits ; Labour - weak, 'west Brits ; Sinn Fein - fake Irish who can't speak a lick of Gaelic 'real Brits'. 

Actually might be semi-funny that at an Irish political wedding if you knew the Shinners were OK with a joke, and wouldn't blow up your house.

19 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And plenty of people simply changed their surnames according to which way things were going

All the protestant Kanes and Neills would be prime examples of that phenomenon.

On 12/16/2017 at 07:47, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Lots of Gaelic names got anglicised over the centuries. McDaids appear to have changed into Davidsons in my family tree a few miles over the partition line from the failed gerrymandered and demographically doomed Orange statelet or whatever the prevailing terminology on here is at the moment.  I suspect that a DUP politician like Jeffrey Donaldson could easily be descended from McDonnells if you went far enough back. The idea that one side in Ulster are usurping planters and the other indigenous dispossessed natives doesnt really stand up too well to close inspection, because converts have always been accepted in both directions and there has always been a percentage of mixed marriages taking place.   

NI21 lasted about 5 minutes in the big scheme of things before the two leaders (ex UUP) had a nasty fall out in the middle of an election campaign. Doubt there was really space for them in the center ground of NI politics. The Alliance Party covers most of it or the Greens if your that way inclined. 

Be interesting to see where NI politics ends up post Brexit in a world that's in the outside lane of the AI revolution.

7 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

That's very cynical. Also untrue.

You think that the wants and considerations of the small nations in the EU will hold much sway if  it doesn't suit the big nations?

You think that the wants and considerations of the small nations in the EU will hold much sway if  it doesn't suit the big nations?

The need to get a broad consensus across member states before making any change is one of the reasons that reform is so difficult to achieve in the EU

4 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

You're turning the whole thing into a big versus wee contest. No idea why. 

It's not a competition, it's a union.

I'm not turning it into anything.

The priorities of the EU were illustrated when they made the RoI vote twice on Lisbon. (Or maybe it was Nice).

The UK is supposed to be a union, too.

29 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm not turning it into anything.

The priorities of the EU were illustrated when they made the RoI vote twice on Lisbon. (Or maybe it was Nice).

The UK is supposed to be a union, too.

They renegotiated the terms of the treaty and held another referendum which was 67% in favour of the treaty. Something which the UK should be doing.

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...