The DUP

Blootoon87

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

The problem isn't voting for Corbyn. The problem is that they need their vote on every single bit of legislation they pass so they will all need to suit the DUP, who are actually a bit more economically liberal than their social policies would indicate...

Not much gets done in hung parliaments usually in legislative terms and it doesn't always have to be the DUP that get them over the line. There's a niche available for the Lib Dems to step in if the DUP demand anything that's too out of kilter with the mainstream of British politics. They only really need the DUP on confidence motions and until Brexit is firmly settled with no special status for NI, I can't see Arlene Foster and co wanting another general election as that is absolutely critical for NI's relationship to the rest of the UK in the years ahead.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not much gets done in hung parliaments usually in legislative terms and it doesn't always have to be the DUP that get them over the line. There's a niche available for the Lib Dems to step in if the DUP demand anything that's too out of kilter with the mainstream of British politics. They only really need the DUP on confidence motions and until Brexit is firmly settled with no special status for NI, I can't see Arlene Foster and co wanting another general election as that is absolutely critical for NI's relationship to the rest of the UK in the years ahead.

all this talk seems to have left one thing out but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, don't the torries have a majority in practical terms? there are 650 seats in the commons meaning 325 is the magic number, the torries have 318, sinn fein have 7 that don't go and the speaker doesn't vote so doesn't that make their 318 enough to get thing through? surely its their own members that can f**k things up rather than the opposition? 

14 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

all this talk seems to have left one thing out but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, don't the torries have a majority in practical terms? there are 650 seats in the commons meaning 325 is the magic number, the torries have 318, sinn fein have 7 that don't go and the speaker doesn't vote so doesn't that make their 318 enough to get thing through? surely its their own members that can f**k things up rather than the opposition? 

650 seats in House of Commons

- 7 Sinn Fein = 643

- 1 Speaker = 642

317 Tories (excluding the speaker) against 325 others

22 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

As I understand, and in addition to above, the EVEL issue means that the Scottish Tories are unable to vote on certain issues, further diminishing their influence.

Edited by Gaz

They can get things through when the DUP abstains, which gives them a bit of breathing space, unfortunately as we would probably not be facing hard Brexit otherwise. People voting anti-SNP rather than anti-Tory tactically in a Scottish context swung whether we would have a soft or a hard Brexit.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

As I understand, and in addition to above, the EVEL issue means that the Scottish Tories are unable to vote on certain issues, further diminishing their influence.

Not a problem for them if/when the SNP steer clear but the SNP often argue that Barnett Formula implications make a lot of what appear on the surface to be England/Wales only issues relevant to Scotland as well.

They can get things through when the DUP abstains, which gives them a bit of breathing space, unfortunately as we would probably not be facing hard Brexit otherwise. People voting anti-SNP rather than anti-Tory tactically in a Scottish context swung whether we would have a soft or a hard Brexit.

This... and it's the farmers and fisherman who did. Turkeys voting for Christmas.. utter morons. Mind you I'm sure Ruthie will get May to replace what's lost through the Cap grants...

15 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Maybe there are back door conversations going on with the Lib Dems. That would be hilarious

Perhaps why Farron left - so that his successor can pretend it was only the God-bothered who said "no deals".

15 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Maybe there are back door conversations going on with the Lib Dems. That would be hilarious

Who cares? As long as they don't let the Antichrist in.

Says at the bottom, "Published by the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster", so it wasn't really a DUP poster. There's plenty of valid reasons to have a go at them without making stuff up.

17 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Suspect the Tories and the DUP are waiting for the Drumcree parade and possibly the 12th to be out of the way before announcing anything.

Edited by LongTimeLurker