SFA South Region Challenge Cup 2017-18

Rab B Nesbit

18 hours ago, Tommyssocks1998 said:
20 hours ago, Unknown Fan said:
Looks like the Lowland League Website put this through as the postponed league game as Vale gained 3 points and Cumbernauld have completed their 30 games????
It wasn't played as a doubleheader surely.

I wish, but no.

They have since corrected it back.  So to be sure Vale need to win 2 out of 3 as long as one of the them includes a win vs Dalbeattie? 

No date for the Cumbernauld league game yet then?

So if Cove beat Spartans over 2 legs the next night Vale and Dalbeattie in a half chance relegation one game playoff, bit bizarre though exciting for the neutral.

To be fair I would like to see Dalbeattie stay up and it be good if Cove or Spartans get promoted.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Unknown Fan said:

They have since corrected it back.  So to be sure Vale need to win 2 out of 3 as long as one of the them includes a win vs Dalbeattie? 

No date for the Cumbernauld league game yet then?

So if Cove beat Spartans over 2 legs the next night Vale and Dalbeattie in a half chance relegation one game playoff, bit bizarre though exciting for the neutral.

To be fair I would like to see Dalbeattie stay up and it be good if Cove or Spartans get promoted.

Vale do not need to beat Dalbeattie, a draw against them and two other wins would be enough to finish above them.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, jinky said:

Was played at Falkirks stadium last year but more than likely revert to Gala which appears to be the Mecca for cup finals?!

Listen pal WW have played Threave rovers at Stirling, Civil strollers at Larbert, St cuthberts at Dumfries, Dalbeattie Star at Annan, Spartans and Edinburgh City in Edinburgh off the top o my heed in cup finals over the years. And ye think you are hard done by. Get over it. 

What is yer problem wi Galashiels??

Ye should just be thankful yer in a final!! 

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Listen pal WW have played Threave rovers at Stirling, Civil strollers at Larbert, St cuthberts at Dumfries, Dalbeattie Star at Annan, Spartans and Edinburgh City in Edinburgh off the top o my heed in cup finals over the years. And ye think you are hard done by. Get over it. 

What is yer problem wi Galashiels??

Ye should just be thankful yer in a final!! 

Cumbernauld!!

Sorry Newcastle Brown but you missed my point??...IMO cup finals should be played somewhere central and  I have nothing against Galas ground or set-up apart from it appears to be the favoured venue which happens to be geographically remote and as a result may restrict those who otherwise would have wanted to attend as a spectator.

Also,and for the record CCs are not my team albeit I can see how you may have assumed this.

3 hours ago, magoo said:

Cumbernauld!!

Off the top o my heed I said! 

I think threave was actually at Cumbernauld. The Stirling cup final might have been against Burntisland Shipyard?? 

57 minutes ago, jinky said:

Sorry Newcastle Brown but you missed my point??...IMO cup finals should be played somewhere central and  I have nothing against Galas ground or set-up apart from it appears to be the favoured venue which happens to be geographically remote and as a result may restrict those who otherwise would have wanted to attend as a spectator.

Also,and for the record CCs are not my team albeit I can see how you may have assumed this.

Haven't missed yer point at all. 

My point is that although Selkirk s league Cup final is a lot closer to them than Cumbernauld the various Cup finals ww have played over the years have involved a fair bit travelling against a more local side. 

I think it's doon to ground availability at this time of the year as well? 

I'd rather have a cup final at Galashiels any day than play on a junior park at Broxburn or Blackburn? (no offence to these sides, actually Blackburn are in the EoSFL next season but you know what I mean) 

Tbf NB, most of the finals you're noting were South Qualifying Cup finals - which from 1994-95 to the end had to be played "at Scottish League grounds". Even then many rather odd ones like Whitehill v Burntisland at Stirling, Spartans v Gala at Stirling, Whitehill v Civil Service at Stenhousemuir, Whitehill v Threave at Stirling and Cumbernauld, Whitehill v Spartans at Stirling, Edinburgh City v Spartans at Stirling. Maybe SFA only had the telephone number for Forthbank...

South Challenge Cup which replaced it isn't connected to SFA, and though a number have gone to Scottish League venues like Easter Road, Tynecastle, Palmerston and Galabank, others have been played at places like Gala, Edinburgh Uni and Whitehill. Allegedly the principle now is just "a ground with a grandstand".

Don't see the issue with playing finals on Junior grounds - indeed Musselburgh, Blackburn and Easthouses promptly turned senior anyway.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

South Challenge Cup which replaced it isn't connected to SFA, and though a number have gone to Scottish League venues like Easter Road, Tynecastle, Palmerston and Galabank, others have been played at places like Gala, Edinburgh Uni and Whitehill. Allegedly the principle now is just "a ground with a grandstand".

Don't see the issue with playing finals on Junior grounds - indeed Musselburgh, Blackburn and Easthouses promptly turned senior anyway.

Galabank as I quoted Dalbeattie Star v ww. That was hardly central or fair like jinky is implying though? 

Note I did state Blackburn have now gone senior. 

We must be a different breed at Whitehill then...as every time we played a final the further away we played the better the day was....fraserburgh,Dumfries and Montrose being particularly good...if I phones had been around in those days some of the team bus journeys home would have been epic viewing.....

It was open draw first 2 seasons (SFA providing finance), regionalised before QF for 7 seasons, then open draw again last 2 seasons. Away travel is subsidised. Incidentally, contrary to the name it's neither run or financed by SFA, nor is there any "South Region"! Often called simply South Challenge Cup. HL+EOSL+SOSL+Glasgow Uni.

North equivalent was shelved after first 2 seasons since SFA finance stopped/HL expanded to 18-teams. Since it was basically the Highland League Cup repeated with Golspie added, it never caught northern imaginations, although Shetland XI were invited for season #2.

Champions:

2007-08 ... Annan beat Edinburgh City, at Galashiels
2008-09 ... Spartans beat Edinburgh Uni, at Meadowbank
2009-10 ... Spartans beat Gretna, at Tynecastle
2010-11 ... Spartans beat Edinburgh City, at Tynecastle
2011-12 ... Stirling Uni beat Duns, at Galashiels
2012-13 ... Whitehill beat Dalbeattie, at Galabank
2013-14 ... EK beat Dalbeattie, at Palmerston
2014-15 ... BSCG beat CSS, at Rosewell
2015-16 ... Whitehill beat Edinburgh City, at New East Peffermill
2016-17 ... EK beat Cumbernauld, at Falkirk

Archived