Realistically

21 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

I'm quite surprised at this to be honest. Mallan will be tough to replace yes but Morgan, McGinn, Smith, Stelios, Mackenzie and Magennis were every bit as important to the team as he was during the last third. Mcginn probably mosre so, was only when he came in that Mallan came into his own. Cammy Smith, Mackenzie, Stelios, Eckersley and Stelios all back. I think we'll be pretty strong. I take your point about the part time players but my thoughts are they'll be more squad players to pad out what we already have. I imagine if J McGinn and McLean go this summer as well we'll see a few more experienced players coming in to shore everything up. Certainly wouldn't be using the word astonished if we end up around about the top of the table. 

I would disagree about Mallan not being any more important than the list of players you mentioned.  He was everywhere during those last 3 months.  In that crucial game against Raith at the end of the season we won 5-0, he scored 3 and set up the other 2, he set up the goal against Hibs on the last day.   Despite playing in a hopeless team he reached double figures from midfield two seasons in a row.  He was at the heart of the whole thing and he will be a huge loss.

Even during that third we were hardly in world beating form.  We lost to a terrible Dundee United side twice in the final five weeks of the season and drew at home to part time Dumbarton. 

Can only wait and see but at the moment there's at least 3 teams in this league who I think are stronger than us.

12 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Trying my best not be biased but I don't get the love for Falkirk and St.Mirren at the minute. Falkirk were a fairly average side last season and if I'm correct haven't actually signed anyone new apart from Mitchell?

St.Mirren have a squad that just managed to stray away from the play offs via goal difference. They've lost Mallan and Davis and Loy were also big players for them who don't seem to be coming back, along with Stelios? Who I wouldn't mind Morton picking up. And they haven't really brought in anyone of real note.

Stelios signed a 1 year deal with us this morning.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bazil85 said:
  1. Dundee United - I think they'll just be too strong for anyone this season similar to Hibs, Sevo and Hearts when they were here. Some good signings so far
  2. Falkirk - In a strong position based on last season and with a few key signings, will be up there but don't see them winning it
  3. St Mirren - We've held onto the majority of a very strong squad and signed some very promising players. Likely some sell on transfer money coming in to strengthen further
  4. Dunfermline - Seemed to finish pretty strong and will probably have a decent budget to strengthen in the right areas 
  5. ICT - Don't see them handling the fall very well and think a smaller player pool will struggle with traveling, may be seen as a scalp by other teams
  6. Livingston - Used to winning last season, kept some of their better players and can see them having a respectable return
  7. Morton - Lets be honest, they've been punching last two seasons. Big rebuild job and not setting the world on fire with signings. will likely use loan market a lot though
  8. QOS - As above, very hot and cold last season as well. Can see them falling away a wee bit. Tricky place to go right enough 
  9. Dumbarton - Always going to be flirting with the drop, with the rebuild job might need a play-off to keep them up
  10. Brechin - Don't see them doing much at all to be honest, wouldn't be surprised if they were down by February/ March

Care to explain how we have a big rebuild job? We've retained the majority of last seasons squad. In what way are your signings any different/better than ours so far? You've brought in a GK who loves a mistake and signed a few unproven players from league 1. So far  Let the shite like Shankland, Oyenuga, Scullion etc go and replaced them with Robert Thomson, Gary Harkins and Bob McHugh. All proven players at this level. There's a question mark over Harkins but if he gets the right attitude he'll do fine for us. It's far too early to predict where anyone will finish yet anyway. 

1 hour ago, Tri-TON said:

Trying my best not be biased but I don't get the love for Falkirk and St.Mirren at the minute. Falkirk were a fairly average side last season and if I'm correct haven't actually signed anyone new apart from Mitchell?

St.Mirren have a squad that just managed to stray away from the play offs via goal difference. They've lost Mallan and Davis and Loy were also big players for them who don't seem to be coming back, along with Stelios? Who I wouldn't mind Morton picking up. And they haven't really brought in anyone of real note.

Falkirk still finished second, which isn't bad for being fairly average. 

Is Bob McHugh proven at this level? 

Having a look at the teams in this league for the first time today and all the players kicking around in it gotta say all you lot hype up this mob way too much. Lot of jobbers kicking about, livi have got flare place and a solid pair of centre halves get a striker and another Gk signed up and f**k yeeeeaaaaahhhh the chartered flight back to the SPL is now boarding. But seriously would be happy with top 7

1 hour ago, Ayia Napa Daz said:

Having a look at the teams in this league for the first time today and all the players kicking around in it gotta say all you lot hype up this mob way too much. Lot of jobbers kicking about, livi have got flare place and a solid pair of centre halves get a striker and another Gk signed up and f**k yeeeeaaaaahhhh the chartered flight back to the SPL is now boarding. But seriously would be happy with top 7

Will Sean Crighton be first choice this season? 

Has the season started and I am still out on the golf course.

Well I think predictions are a little early before the squads are finalised.

What I would say is its our best squad building in recent years but we need to ensure the legs can get us through the fourth quarter. Need a bigger squad.

Inverness will be an unknown.

St Mirren had a great finish, even though they made it on goal difference, but their squad will start level with everyone else and not fresh legs on bonus money so maybe a bit harder.

Dundee Unt were poor last year surely they will know the score this time around.

Falkirk again must be better this year and will be the team to be in front off.

I think the rest are just canning fodder who will have their good games but not make the top five, sorry Dunfermline but I class you in that group 

Realistically - unless we bring in two decent full backs; two strong, mobile and pacy midfielders; and a 20-goal striker, we could be anywhere between 2 and 5. But not first - currently we don't have the flair for it. 

On 2017-6-9 at 14:00, Lex said:

I would be pleasantly astounded if we were challenging at the top end of the table never mind winning the league. 

We have just lost our best player in Mallan and it doesn't look like we will be getting Loy or Davies back.  We have brought in a load of part time players to replace them so far and the transition from part time to full time is never an easy one.

And even with the likes of Mallan we just avoided the relegation playoff on goal difference, lest we forget. 

As far as I'm aware, we're still very much in the mix for both Davis and Loy and have a shout at signing both. 

3 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Realistically - unless we bring in two decent full backs; two strong, mobile and pacy midfielders; and a 20-goal striker, we could be anywhere between 2 and 5. But not first - currently we don't have the flair for it. 

Thing is that, if the overall standard is similar to the last few seasons we could end up being 1st despite our pishyness! 

On 6/9/2017 at 14:37, Tri-TON said:

How'd poaching Stelios work out for you?

Keep seeing people post that we just avoided the play-off spot. If you want to judge the players that finished the season with St Mirren on the players that started the season, knock yourself out. Lets just ignore the 10 player turnaround in January and the fact we finished the season with only 2 losses in 14 and as the second most inform team after the champions. Every chance Davis and Loy will come back but if they don't we have decent income to replace them and potentially a good bit more if John McGinn and Kenny McLean move on.  

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Thing is that, if the overall standard is similar to the last few seasons we could end up being 1st despite our pishyness! 

Sorry, nay chance of that, but a good chance of 2nd- 5th.

Archived