Realistically

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How bad were Ayr ?they beat a threadbare City team in Scottish Cup we really were down to barebones but were nt any worse than them on the night .. We re not expecting miracles as longs we put up some sort of fight .. Can see us being really negative which i hate but it got us promotion in the end .Its only 2 years since we were humping the Pars etc regulary but they re last season in league 1  they  blew us away .. Just gonna enjoy the ride the bigger crowds etc . And remember our horrendous pitch in winter can be a great leveller :P

1 minute ago, Fungi said:

Pars not getting enough credit if you ask me, add another goalscorer apart from super Nicky and it's a very strong team. 

Really.

Although I would be a bit more comfortable and confident if we had anther couple signed up it's still early days yet. With good additions there's no reason we can't be pushing for a play off place. I expected this league to be the tightest it's been for a good few years in the coming season.

8 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

1. St Mirren
2. Dundee Utd
3. ICT
4. Falkirk
5. QOS
6. Dunfermline
7. Dumbarton
8. Morton
9. Livi
10. Brechin

Agree with the 1st but somehow i dont think ICT or Dundee Utd will do as well as everyone thinks they will, as it stands i think St Mirren are the only team with a settled squad i think.

1. Dundee United - I think they'll just be too strong for anyone this season similar to Hibs, Sevo and Hearts when they were here. Some good signings so far
  2. Falkirk - In a strong position based on last season and with a few key signings, will be up there but don't see them winning it
  3. St Mirren - We've held onto the majority of a very strong squad and signed some very promising players. Likely some sell on transfer money coming in to strengthen further
  4. Dunfermline - Seemed to finish pretty strong and will probably have a decent budget to strengthen in the right areas 
  5. ICT - Don't see them handling the fall very well and think a smaller player pool will struggle with traveling, may be seen as a scalp by other teams
  6. Livingston - Used to winning last season, kept some of their better players and can see them having a respectable return
  7. Morton - Lets be honest, they've been punching last two seasons. Big rebuild job and not setting the world on fire with signings. will likely use loan market a lot though
  8. QOS - As above, very hot and cold last season as well. Can see them falling away a wee bit. Tricky place to go right enough 
  9. Dumbarton - Always going to be flirting with the drop, with the rebuild job might need a play-off to keep them up
  10. Brechin - Don't see them doing much at all to be honest, wouldn't be surprised if they were down by February/ March

1 hour ago, Jackie Moon said:

Agree with the 1st but somehow i dont think ICT or Dundee Utd will do as well as everyone thinks they will, as it stands i think St Mirren are the only team with a settled squad i think.

We have Gaston, Oware, Lamie, Kilday, Murdoch, Forbes, Tidser, Oliver and Quitongo from last season so 9 players who will all expect to start most weeks next season.

We also expect our full backs, Doyle and Russell to sign so make that 11.

We should have a pretty settled squad as well with a sprinkling of some new players- Harkins, Thomson, McHugh etc.

7 minutes ago, madton said:

We have Gaston, Oware, Lamie, Kilday, Murdoch, Forbes, Tidser, Oliver and Quitongo from last season so 9 players who will all expect to start most weeks next season.

We should have a pretty settled squad as well with a sprinkling of some new players- Harkins, Thomson, McHugh etc.

Can understand your thinking on that but St Mirren started to gel at the right time Morton didnt have the best final run ins.  Thats not to say you wont be there abouts again with the play offs.

I would be pleasantly astounded if we were challenging at the top end of the table never mind winning the league. 

We have just lost our best player in Mallan and it doesn't look like we will be getting Loy or Davies back.  We have brought in a load of part time players to replace them so far and the transition from part time to full time is never an easy one.

And even with the likes of Mallan we just avoided the relegation playoff on goal difference, lest we forget.

8 minutes ago, madton said:

9 signed players ain't a settled squad mate. 

We've got 15 signed up (unless I've missed anyone) although I had hoped that one or two of them hadn't been as I feel we need to freshen things up a bit. If others accept new deals like the two that you mention above, we'll have 18! Little room for new signings, which I think we need.

Just now, ShaggerG said:

We've got 15 signed up (unless I've missed anyone) although I had hoped that one or two of them hadn't been as I feel we need to freshen things up a bit. If others accept new deals like the two that you mention above, we'll have 18! Little room for new signings, which I think we need.

I was responding to a comment from your right Honourable friend who said it will only be St Mirren who will have a settled squad. 

Right now, we have most of our first 11 from last season signed up so we are in the similar  situation to St Mirren.

If you have 15, i have no idea why your man said it would only be St Mirren with a settled squad....

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Having nine first-team starters (and 13 in total from last season's first-team squad) really is a 'settled squad' at this level and at this stage of pre-season. By comparison Morton had completed just one deal (for Gary Oliver) and had lost ten first-team players at this stage last year. 

7 minutes ago, madton said:

I was responding to a comment from your right Honourable friend who said it will only be St Mirren who will have a settled squad. 

Right now, we have most of our first 11 from last season signed up so we are in the similar  situation to St Mirren.

If you have 15, i have no idea why your man said it would only be St Mirren with a settled squad....

Yea, I don't know why he said that either? Indeed I think St Mirren are still short in some areas, particularly up front, to be able to describe their squad as 'settled'. VT says you have 13 of last years squad available rather than 9 so, if they're all 1st team squad players then yes, that's getting on for a squad. 

The point I was really trying to get over is that we already have a squad and in fact, with the inclusion of a couple of under 20's, could put out a full squad right now. I think that Houston has missed the chance to free one or two more and therefore giving us the chance to bring in some new faces which, as I say, I think we need.

22 minutes ago, Lex said:

I would be pleasantly astounded if we were challenging at the top end of the table never mind winning the league. 

We have just lost our best player in Mallan and it doesn't look like we will be getting Loy or Davies back.  We have brought in a load of part time players to replace them so far and the transition from part time to full time is never an easy one.

And even with the likes of Mallan we just avoided the relegation playoff on goal difference, lest we forget.

I'm quite surprised at this to be honest. Mallan will be tough to replace yes but Morgan, McGinn, Smith, Stelios, Mackenzie and Magennis were every bit as important to the team as he was during the last third. Mcginn probably mosre so, was only when he came in that Mallan came into his own. Cammy Smith, Mackenzie, Stelios, Eckersley and Stelios all back. I think we'll be pretty strong. I take your point about the part time players but my thoughts are they'll be more squad players to pad out what we already have. I imagine if J McGinn and McLean go this summer as well we'll see a few more experienced players coming in to shore everything up. Certainly wouldn't be using the word astonished if we end up around about the top of the table. 

Trying my best not be biased but I don't get the love for Falkirk and St.Mirren at the minute. Falkirk were a fairly average side last season and if I'm correct haven't actually signed anyone new apart from Mitchell?

St.Mirren have a squad that just managed to stray away from the play offs via goal difference. They've lost Mallan and Davis and Loy were also big players for them who don't seem to be coming back, along with Stelios? Who I wouldn't mind Morton picking up. And they haven't really brought in anyone of real note.

If St Mirren could've kept Loy, Mallan and Davis then I would've quite happily put money on them for the title.

They've done some decent business in the summer, and I fancy them to at least put up some sort of title fight, but I think they'll need a few more high quality additions. Keeping Cammy Smith and Stelios must be a massive boost though. Goalkeeper Ross Stewart should be a more than capable replacement for Billy O'Brien too.

Archived