School Work Experiences

I worked for a week at an accident repair body & paint shop in Kirkcaldy. It was quite a good experience, got to take the door off a police car and chuck various things into a skip. I felt bad on my last day though, I had spied a box of car badges earlier in the week and thought that they wouldn't miss one or two so I put a couple in my overall pocket. At around 2:30, the garage owner came over (holding an iguana for some unknown reason) and handed me an envelope containing £10 and thanked me for my hard work. With only 30 minutes left of the placement, I was looking for ways to waste time so bent down to tie my laces. As I did this, one of the car badges poked out my pocket and put a large scratch down the door panel of a car that had just been painted. f**k. Fearing a bollocking or iguana attack, I said that I had to leave early for the bus and spent the next couple of weeks paranoid that the garage would phone the school and report me. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the Fire Brigade in inverness, the one that was down towards the harbour (don't know if it's still there). After a half day of finding out what fire extinguisher works where and how they take calls, I spent the rest of the week playing pool and darts and watching Sky. 

I worked for my parents friends company where the work involved both practical/lab work and a bit of office work. All I recall from the week was that annoying as f**k song by I Monster was popular amongst the staff and I thought nothing about slipping off to the toilet for a fly tug whenever I got bored.

Did mine with Falkirk FC. Spent four days training, finishing with a big game on the old AstroTurf that was next to Brockville, then away home at 1pm. Also spent half a day with the groundsman when it snowed.

Did mine with Falkirk FC. Spent four days training, finishing with a big game on the old AstroTurf that was next to Brockville, then away home at 1pm. Also spent half a day with the groundsman when it snowed.

What time of year did you do it? I always thought it was for near summer time when exams were on.

I worked in the Eastwood constituency office when Ken MacIntosh was the MSP. It was actually alright, got to draft a couple of press releases which was the highlight. Spent a lot of time wandering around Busby delivering leaflets though.. still, much better than working in ASDA or something grim like that

What time of year did you do it? I always thought it was for near summer time when exams were on.

February. My year at school was split into two. One half of the year did work experience in October and the other in February.

ETA: John Lambie & Gerry Collins were in charge of Falkirk at the time. They were there one day of the week.

Did everyone have their work experience sorted out for them by their school? Mine couldn't have given less of a f**k - I think they were just glad to be rid of us for a week. Seemed like most folk either stayed at home or followed one of their parents in to work.

Spent mine in a charity shop that I already helped out in on Saturday mornings, so I learned nothing. Kid in my year was interested in journalism, so his dad managed to wangle a week at the offices of one of the national papers for him. He came back completely disillusioned with the whole idea, but wouldn't tell us why, although you can imagine.

Did everyone have their work experience sorted out for them by their school?

We had the option of picking something arranged by the school or we could arrange something ourselves through family or friends.

I remember mine was in November. Worked on a golf course and weather was awful.

I'm sure mine was when I was in my 3 rd year in May time before the 4-6th years had exams so they could reduce the numbers at the school. Was lovely weather when I had mine.

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

That's not work experience. That's actual work if you're a fireman.

Actual work would include drunken orgies with nurses.

I spent 3 weeks working for the council on one of their parks. Start at half 7 in the morning, lucky if i saw a bus, neither parents drove so had a 45 minute walk in early spring. Although not with the council now, still been gardening for last 20+ years.

We could arrange it ourselves or make 3 choices and the school sort something. I made my choices, f**k knows what now but probably all pish. Anyway, school neglected to sort anything for quite a few of us (luckily some of my pals) so we had a week of fucking about in half empty classes.
I sat about wondering what I was doing with life while avoiding any real work or responsibility. Absolutely spot on now I think about it.

I did it with my dads joinery company.

Pretty much spent a week fighting with him then got paid £100 by him at the end of it.

One of the guys in my year was working at a farm suppliers that got mugged. He was told to take the week as a holiday by the boss because they didn't want him around when the police were about.

4 hours ago, throbber said:

With a limited number of work places different schools in authorities take weeks spread out across the year. 

Bigger schools tend rely on more pupils finding their own placements. 

From first hand experience it takes some organising! 

My school had the absolutely fucking dreadful idea of asking everyone what they wanted to do for work experience in terms of type of job. They then took all of these job types, put them in a hat, and drew them at random for us. I'd put down mechanic at the time and they tried to send me to work in a florists. At the agreement of my parents I didn't go.

We had a big sheet put up and everyone had to put names against each job. Only thing is though there were 4 different houses/factions or whatever they're called and each of us were told about this sheet in our social education class. Ours was Thursday so we only found out then and by the time we'd got to it basically everything was taken. Utter shite.

I never got anything and went in and endured a terrible week with all my classes just a quarter full.

Now I actually look after work experience lads that come into our office and teach them all about the construction industry and how it works. Can be brilliant sometimes, some of the young lads you get in are aff their nuts. Get some interesting conversations. Really makes you miss school and being that age.

6 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

My school had the absolutely fucking dreadful idea of asking everyone what they wanted to do for work experience in terms of type of job. They then took all of these job types, put them in a hat, and drew them at random for us. I'd put down mechanic at the time and they tried to send me to work in a florists. At the agreement of my parents I didn't go.

Either way you could have still been working with a Lotus.

Archived