School Work Experiences

I left my pick to the very end. So I was left with the dregs. Managed to get two weeks at a local hardware store. Didn't do much apart from replenishing stock, sweeping the foor and cleaning the paint mixing machine. At the end of it they gave me a new tool box full of tools and a satisfactory on my report. Still got the same tool box 15 years later. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked in a livery yard where they kept about 8 horses. It was great actually, quite hard work but I enjoyed working with the horses. I didn't get paid but got a few hacks out during the week and free entry to a dressage competition at the end of the week, which was fair enough.
Did make me realise I couldn't handle working outdoors in the cold though (ours was in November), so I can say it was pretty useful as up to that point I wanted to be a riding instructor.

I spent a week at Scotrail in Perth going round the various engineering departments. Even got taken to Aberdeen for a site visit to look at a bridge that needed strengthening works done. 

Remember having an afternoon in the HR Department and looking up all the disciplinary cases.....seem to recall reading about a railworker getting sacked for knocking out the General Foreman! 

31 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I worked in a livery yard where they kept about 8 horses. It was great actually, quite hard work but I enjoyed working with the horses. I didn't get paid but got a few hacks out during the week and free entry to a dressage competition at the end of the week, which was fair enough.
Did make me realise I couldn't handle working outdoors in the cold though (ours was in November), so I can say it was pretty useful as up to that point I wanted to be a riding instructor.

Did you win?

38 minutes ago, GnR989 said:

Managed to get two weeks at a local hardware store. Didn't do much apart from replenishing stock, sweeping the foor and cleaning the paint mixing machine. 

Worked in a Building Merchant for about a two years at the age of 22, that was my job role. f**k me it was awful.

I was given Dunfermline Athletic Football club for my work experience.  Even as a Cowden fan I was quite excited to see behind the scenes at a football club - was going to be in the ticket office etc and helping out on a match day (I think back then they were in the top flight).

2 days before I was meant to go the club cancelled and they couldn't get me anything else. I was the only person in my year who didn't have a work experience to go to. 2 weeks of school (half the students went away one week and the rest the next) with barely any classmates was utter shit.  The second week the teachers were obviously wanting to teach the stuff they taught the week before but had to give me extra work to do.

This experience only furthered my hate for The Pars.  Not only are they debt dodging b***ards but they also ruined my professional development and probably shaped me into the useless bitter shell of a man I am today.

I was at east of Scotland water (as it was at the time) done some typing during the week which was shit, on the Thursday I went out with a surveyor who took me to Falkirk town centre so he could buy his wean a cd, on the Friday I was with another boy in a van that got a call to say it was someone he knews funeral so I had to sit in the van while this guy went to a funeral in his work gear. 

2 days before I was meant to go the club cancelled and they couldn't get me anything else. I was the only person in my year who didn't have a work experience to go to. 2 weeks of school (half the students went away one week and the rest the next) with barely any classmates was utter shit.  The second week the teachers were obviously wanting to teach the stuff they taught the week before but had to give me extra work to do.

Little did you realise that this was excellent, highly relevant work experience. Outside of school they call it 'redundancy'.

Hopes and dreams crushed as you see your mates heading off to work, leaving you as the only one having mundane tasks, the real life equivalent being the Job Centre weekly plan and application record book, because all the soul destroying CV editing and cover letter writing isn't quite enough.

Ungrateful sod.

Isn't there already a thread on this? Who am I, a mere mortal, to question Hedgecutter's powers of observation though?

Like him, I got the list of choices. Requested a lawyer's office or some other high flying stuff. I got sent to tape up boxes of waterproof jackets instead. Wasn't too bad - plenty of rough MILF types to take me under their wings.

Isn't there already a thread on this? Who am I, a mere mortal, to question Hedgecutter's powers of observation though?

Had a strong niggle there might have been, but a half arsed search couldn't find one. May have been part of the rather entertaining school stories thread, but I fear you're correct. Ach well.

44 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I was given Dunfermline Athletic Football club for my work experience.  Even as a Cowden fan I was quite excited to see behind the scenes at a football club - was going to be in the ticket office etc and helping out on a match day (I think back then they were in the top flight).

This experience only furthered my hate for The Pars.  Not only are they debt dodging b***ards but they also ruined my professional development and probably shaped me into the useless bitter shell of a man I am today.

Masterton probably just forgot. He has a track record of forgetfulness, what with not remembering the door code, forgetting how basic maths works etc.

I worked in that Iceland on Byres Road.
As you can imagine it was a shite experience. I couldn't wait until I got out of there.

It could have been worse. One of my classmates had to work in an old folks' home.
I think he binned it after 1 day due to the stink of pish making him sick.

I left it to the last minute and went to work with my Dad.  Was absolutely soul destroying, just sat in his office most of the day watching telly and listening to him moan about how much he hated his job, his colleagues and pretty much his entire existence.  

I did find out that he once applied to count penguins on the South Sandwich Islands not long after his first marriage went tits up, and was accepted.  Think he lost his bottle though.  As one of the most unambitious men I have ever met, and I include myself in that, I thought that was quite interesting and made me think about him in a slightly different light.

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

We probably couldn't afford you. A rare moment of prudence by the old board.

That is quite a depressing post Adam, are you alright?

That did come across as quite depressing, reading back. I've been reading a lot of Orwell lately, perhaps I should try something a little more uplifting.

Archived