9v9 or 11v11

Yfs1

1 minute ago, rigano said:

2006 age group across Scotland from March. 2007 move to 9s from August for a year. 

Do you have SFA confirmation?

This will affect the Age Group I coach with.  2006s in my area are playing 11s so will they get brought back? Also some 2006s are playing 9s its completley mixed from club to club.

1 hour ago, Yonas said:

Do you have SFA confirmation?

This will affect the Age Group I coach with.  2006s in my area are playing 11s so will they get brought back? Also some 2006s are playing 9s its completley mixed from club to club.

I don't think it will affect your area as nobody is meant to be playing 11s just now? It's a change of pathway. Www.essda.co.uk has information under news. 

20 hours ago, rigano said:

I don't think it will affect your area as nobody is meant to be playing 11s just now? It's a change of pathway. Www.essda.co.uk has information under news. 

We have 2006s in 11s league since August when the fixtures started. pressume they wont move back to 9s unless no other teams in the league. I would appreciate the SFA making a decison early into 2018 to the plans so teams can get orgnaised for the changes that could happen.

I suspect we will be changing to 9s but heard the trial hasent gone well in South West having alot of complaints against it and teams not turning up for the festival format.

It has been trialled since March in West Lothian in 05 then 06 age groups. 05 trial between March and June was a shambles but this perhaps due to poor organisation and no one playing on the right sized pitches. Or agreeing if they were playing offside or not. Not sure if it's been any better at 06 since August.
It should be a good thing. 2 years at 7s, 18 months at 9s. Good solid progression for kids. Not sure if syfa or sfa have that much common sense though

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As the lad says west Lothian 06's been doing 9v9 since August and it has been working well in my opinion. I coach a mixed ability squad who have actually taken to it well with some boys who would have been lost from the game had they gone straight to 11s actually doing well in this stepping stone format.

Pitch size is either 18 yard to 18 yard or half pitch across the way, which ever is available. We personally use 9's size goals which are slightly bigger than 7's but obviously smaller than full size and it gives keepers especially more confidence than getting stuck in massive goals where if you have a player who can lift the ball shoots from anywhere.

Don't agree about there being no formation for 9 a side, it allows you to use more formations 2 or 3 at back 3 or 4 in midfield (flat/diamond) and then 1 or 2 up front working as a pair or withdrawn. It's all about stretching the pitch and making space and ultimately the kids enjoying themselves.

Maybe it's just whether the coaches buy into it whether it works or not but my personal experience is that it has been a good learning experiment and helped develop my lads.

If you only want Ronaldo or Messi and focus on the winning then it might not work but if you want to retain the kids and develop them then I'm for it.

• 4 months later...

In our league we are moving to 9’s  in August.

Most teams ran with 2 teams at 7’s, but due to costs and availability of players can’t gamble on 2 teams at 9’s (22 players per week). So we will all run with 1 team, thus players will be lost to football.

i thought the SFA wanted football accessible to all ?

On 20 June 2018 at 06:50, Beastie Russell said:

Most teams ran with 2 teams at 7’s, but due to costs and availability of players can’t gamble on 2 teams at 9’s (22 players per week). So we will all run with 1 team, thus players will be lost to football.

Some team we have played at 9s have used players from the age group above to fill squad spaces to get games played. You can run 9s with a team of 10 on the day but need at least 12 committed to play most weeks.

with arguing the players weren't ready for 11s

On 20/06/2018 at 06:50, Beastie Russell said:

Same situation as our league. We have 3 teams playing out of Irvine and all are cutting players for 9 a side, hopefully someone can step forward to maybe start a team up from all the boys released so they can continue to play football. 

• 8 months later...

9v9 18 yard box to 18 yard box but the width of the pitch in the length of box.

Thoughts on this?

Dislike from me as its more narrow than a 7s pitch making it a step back instead of more width towards 11s pitch size.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've stood at the side of enough pitches as a coach and parent to know the answer....as to why you....

BUT at development football, which 9v9 is there should be no referees needed. 

There is nothing at stake other than child development and safety.

Edited by Dylangt7