9v9 or 11v11

Yfs1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Bonnyrigg Vid
On 08/07/2017 at 13:20, rigano said:

Is there any update on 9 a side being rolled out? 

Don't hold your breath. This was suppose to be being implemented years and years ago but never happened so why expect anything different now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think 9v9 is utter rank.   4v4, 5v5, 7v7 at least follow a certain shape (leads nicely into a 433 or 4231).   What does 9v9 do?

Been through this pathway a few times, had prepared the kids well, and they took to it well.   Tried 9s and hated it.

Biggest problems going to 11s are:

• Goalies have no experience kicking the ball and the size of the goals
  • At 11s you are adding on a back 4.   Defenders have no experience of defending as a unit, headering the ball, balancing, etc...
  • The offside rule.

I personally, through experience, see no benefit in 9s.   Also, re squad size,  2x 8player squads at 7aside let you form a nice 11s squad.

If doing 9s, do some players get less time or do you increase size of 2 squads then have to lose a few for 11s again?

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by a Football development guy that the FA are dropping 9v9.  There's also the issue of facilities and equipment.

The transition from 7s to 11s is interesting, some teams manage it easily, others are lost.  The age they do it at means you have a mixture of guys who are still very small and others who are well on their way to becoming young adults.  The team I coach has a couple of big, fast boys and the difference it makes to games is amazing.  The rest will catch up,  but at transition it makes it very difficult for some.  

Not sure 9s would address that.  

SFA wont vote on implementing 9s across Scotland until next August. Very much still at trial and development stage in the process.

(s on the right size pitches and 7s goals would work better than the jump straight into 11s with clubs unlikely to know what they are playing 1/2 mnths before they start the season which is far from ideal from a coach perspective.

• 1 month later...
On 05/09/2017 at 20:23, DestroyedByMadness said:

Goalies have no experience kicking the ball and the size of the goals

When playing 11s for the first year I think it would be a good idea to allow the keeper to take goal kicks from anywhere in the 18 yard box.

It doesn't help the prescriptive rules that are put in place preventing 7s teams playing 11s friendlies in the lead up to the season they transition to 11s, maybe that's just the Central League though.

In the 9-a-side trials what size of pitch are they using?