Managers Making Step Up

4 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Cotter has many contacts in junior football after being involved in it for a long time. It won't be a case of Broomhouse moving to junior, a good number of boys are stepping up then it's down to them to prove they are good enough.

This. Cotter knows a lot of people and I highly doubt it will be between 7 and 10 moving up and being in the starting 11. Dunno if these numbers are accurate. Also maybe shettleston dont have the same resources this year as other years which would explain a lot. Butthis is the amateur forum so what's happening with broomhouse will they keep going or likely to fold ?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never said the starting 11 I said they'll make up 50% of the squad. And yeah it will be around 7/10. You've got 3/4 away to vale of Clyde. Then the guys that go to shettleston so broomhouse will lose minimum 10 players plus obviously the manager and assistant have left so it's a tough road ahead for broomhouse especially now they've been promoted to the prem.

East Kilbride the amateurs will do well in the juniors cos they had built up a really decent side over the last few years but I guess they mibe got fed up playing in a one horse race in the central premier n wanted a new challenge. As for the gap between top amateur n junior a think it's closing every season and a don't think u notice the gap until the top 4 or 5 in the super 1st and obviously the premier is better standard again but there's lots of boys playing amateur who could step up to that level of premier junior but just enjoy playing amateur wae there pals

3 hours ago, Michael Kennedy said:

I suppose time will tell. As far I know Shettleston have cut their budget. So maybe the new management team are using there respective experience in amateur and junior to build a team capable of challenging 

How do you think Colville would do in the juniors? You guys play junior teams in bounce games quite a lot I believe, so what's your thoughts on the standard gap?

I think would compete, add it bit more experience at that level would help. We would probably need to change aspects of how we play, and find different ways of winning games at times. When we play most Junior teams it's on 4g that suits us and our style of play. Plus it's friendlies so it's difficult to really judge but we played the Scottish junior champions this season and competed ok.

In terms of the gap, I think there are loads of amatuer players that could play junior football. As for full teams going in at that level is a different story all together. And then we are talking about different leagues so there loads of things to take in to consideration. 

What I certainly don't understand is good amatuer players going to lower level juniors teams for not a lot of money and achieving nothing, as I player I never seen the attraction. But that just my thoughts  sure there are loads of people out there that would disagree with me. 

Mick in relation to you not understanding amateur players going to lower junior leagues for not a lot of money . Is the same as senior players going to cp to pay there 10 a week to play with there pals ok maybe achieving winning the Scottish cup but if I was a player I would always  want to play at highest level possible until I couldn't 

I think there a lot to be said playing and enjoying your football, your Wellhouse team was littered with players that could have play junior and I'm sure you sold them they we would better playing at Wellhouse.

I bet not one of your Wellhouse players would swap winning the Scottish for playing at the lower end of junior football.

But I suppose you have the shoe on the other foot now and you want to convince as many good players to come to the Vale as possible.

We have only attracted senior players because they weren't happy at their clubs they have came to Colville and loved it.

31 minutes ago, Michael Kennedy said:

I think there a lot to be said playing and enjoying your football, your Wellhouse team was littered with players that could have play junior and I'm sure you sold them they we would better playing at Wellhouse.

I bet not one of your Wellhouse players would swap winning the Scottish for playing at the lower end of junior football.

But I suppose you have the shoe on the other foot now and you want to convince as many good players to come to the Vale as possible.

We have only attracted senior players because they weren't happy at their clubs they have came to Colville and loved it.

Having viewed your excellent postings and also can see where Mr Skinner is coming

from with his ( another good read), it is great to have an insight into two amateur clubs

who have both won the Scottish Amateur Cup. I agree that not one of the Wellhouse

lads would have swapped that for playing with a junior club. I can still see the look on the

face of "Mr Wellhouse", Mr Robert Noble, when he brought the cup back to his house,

and also the disappointment ( sad days) when they folded. You and Mr Skinner are good

at creating environments where players want to be. The Colville cup record speaks

for itself, while reviving the fortunes of the Tollcross junior club is well within his

motivational powers. Good luck to both of you.

I'm led to believe that's what will happen.. dunblane come up in EKs place. Also heard campsie blackwatch in central division 1 have folded. Have to say that's why I worry about broomhouse, EK lose 14 players and have to basically step down a division and start again broomhouse will lose similar numbers around 10/14 that's tough. Hope not though we need teams like EK broomhouse etc.

Archived