Scottish Premiership transfer thread 2017/18

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Kyle said:

For some reason the club haven't announced it, but Michael Coulson has left the club. He's on trial at Dunfermline.

He's contracted until 2018 right? There's probably a fair chance he hasn't officially left but Saints have said he's free to find a new club. The contract presumably still stands though.

There's a similar situation with Shaun Tuton who's on trial with us from Barnsley, he's still got a year of his deal to go but Barnsley seem fine with letting him look for another club and playing as a trialist.

Just now, capt_oats said:

He's contracted until 2018 right? There's probably a fair chance he hasn't officially left but Saints have said he's free to find a new club. The contract presumably still stands though.

There's a similar situation with Shaun Tuton who's on trial with us from Barnsley, he's still got a year of his deal to go but Barnsley seem fine with letting him look for another club and playing as a trialist.

Wright was saying the club were negotiating a release with him a couple of weeks ago. He said he wasn't sure if it was done or not. It's a bit of a strange situation as he hasn't reported for any pre-season as far as I'm aware, but came to our game European game last Thursday to watch with Danny Swanson.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Wright was saying the club were negotiating a release with him a couple of weeks ago. He said he wasn't sure if it was done or not. It's a bit of a strange situation as he hasn't reported for any pre-season as far as I'm aware, but came to our game European game last Thursday to watch with Danny Swanson.

Has he been training with Dunfermline? That might explain the no-show with Saints. Maybe the release is pending him getting a new club. He's offered a deal elsewhere, his current contract is cancelled allowing him to sign. Otherwise, aye...it's a bit weird.

Just now, capt_oats said:

Has he been training with Dunfermline? That might explain the no-show with Saints. Maybe the release is pending him getting a new club. He's offered a deal elsewhere, his current contract is cancelled allowing him to sign. Otherwise, aye...it's a bit weird.

He certainly played for them on Saturday against Thistle. He didn't feature in any of the early days of pre-season and definitely wasn't with the squad at Largs. Keith Watson - who's also free to find a club - is still with the club as he tries to get his fitness levels up. I doubt we'd leave Coulson without training facilities if he was still contracted with us.

I got the impression Coulson was invited to pre-season but simply decided not to come.

He'll be getting a wage from us until he finds a new club, to prevent us having to pay his contract off in a lump sum. If he can't find a club he'll be released before the deadline.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I got the impression Coulson was invited to pre-season but simply decided not to come.

He'll be getting a wage from us until he finds a new club, to prevent us having to pay his contract off in a lump sum. If he can't find a club he'll be released before the deadline.

If he's been invited back and decided not to bother, he'll be in breach of his contract. If he's still with us it'll be a mutual decision. I don't see who that benefits though, especially if he's out seeking a new club when he's not fit.

If he's been invited back and decided not to bother, he'll be in breach of his contract. If he's still with us it'll be a mutual decision. I don't see who that benefits though, especially if he's out seeking a new club when he's not fit.

Even if him not turning up is a breach, we'd still have to pay him off, especially if we told him he's free to trial elsewhere. I doubt he'd give up a year's of wages if he doesn't have anything else lined up.

Archived