Glenafton Athletic Double Winners - where do you rate them compared to the greats?

Shanner

Fantastic season for the glens, a magnficent achievment, got them at 20's for the league think it might have been after the Talbot game at home.

This team will rightly go down as legends in New Cumnock. The village has been building up to this game for quite a few weeks and the support and response had been superb.

Everywhere decked out in red and white from the farms and golf course on the outskirts right through to the lamposts on the way out to Kirkconnel.

Friday was Glens day at the local primary school where the weans went along dressed in team colours with flags etc. That's what the juniors give you that the seniors can only dream of mass community involvement and everyone pulling in the same direction.

So the pressure was on the players, lets not be kidded, and they didn't disappoint.

It will be a case of "Who were you standing with? Who did you celebrate with on the 4th of June 2017 when Cairnsy unleashed the Talbot heartbreaker? Me I was with family and friends. And then later on meeting some of my mates that I watch the games with regularly you just cannot beat that feeling.

As for last night, what a night in the newlty refurbished Campbell Hall inside the Glens ground. Bouncing to say the least especially when Southy took stage and belted out "We've just done the double" 

Next season the league will be harder than ever lot of good teams one or two that will improve.

Fantastic season for the glens, a magnficent achievment, got them at 20's for the league think it might have been after the Talbot game at home.
This team will rightly go down as legends in New Cumnock. The village has been building up to this game for quite a few weeks and the support and response had been superb.
Everywhere decked out in red and white from the farms and golf course on the outskirts right through to the lamposts on the way out to Kirkconnel.
Friday was Glens day at the local primary school where the weans went along dressed in team colours with flags etc. That's what the juniors give you that the seniors can only dream of mass community involvement and everyone pulling in the same direction.
So the pressure was on the players, lets not be kidded, and they didn't disappoint.
It will be a case of "Who were you standing with? Who did you celebrate with on the 4th of June 2017 when Cairnsy unleashed the Talbot heartbreaker? Me I was with family and friends. And then later on meeting some of my mates that I watch the games with regularly you just cannot beat that feeling.
As for last night, what a night in the newlty refurbished Campbell Hall inside the Glens ground. Bouncing to say the least especially when Southy took stage and belted out "We've just done the double" 
Next season the league will be harder than ever lot of good teams one or two that will improve.

That's brilliant the kids going into school dressed in glens colours. Take my daughter's school if ye done that there they'd all be wearing Celtic tops(wee tramps) lol. The community spirit ye have doon Ayrshire is 2nd 2 none everyone backs the junior side ye don't c enough of that up our way cos were so close 2 the bigot brothers.

FTOF

Mon the papers

On 6/4/2017 at 20:58, Shanner said:

Since the Superleague era I think it's just been Linlithgow once and Talbot twice (I might be mistaken).

It's pretty rare and has taken something special to do in the past. 

Tayport did it in 2003. They often seem to get forgotten when people talk about the great sides, but in 4 seasons from 2002-03 to 2005-06 they won the Junior Cup twice and were runners up once, and won the East Superleague twice and were runners up the other two years. 

Rose have done the double 3 times.

1965 - Scottish, league, east of Scotland cup, brown cup and Lanark & Lothian cup.

2002 - league, Scottish, f&l, league cup, brown cup & st Michaels cup.

2007 - league, Scottish & league cup.

Have watched Glens 3 times this season and have not seen anything to label them as greats.  However time will tell whether they can repeat this year's success an then be labelled greats

They have done a great thing but to my eye they are not in the top 10 of great Junior sides from the past 30 years. You can only beat what you face in your season so hats off to them.

I think Glens have shown yet again the benefits of having a young manager who recently played the game. Southy and Maxwell have brought energy and attracted good players - if I have one reflection on Tucker and Johnny M it's whether they are just a few years away from the players. I'm not saying they can't overcome this but it does often help if someone you played with or against is recruiting you. Talbot and Beith have shown a lot of loyalty to established pros and maybe it cost them this season.

On 6/5/2017 at 15:08, passbackdave said:

That's brilliant the kids going into school dressed in glens colours. Take my daughter's school if ye done that there they'd all be wearing Celtic tops(wee tramps) lol. The community spirit ye have doon Ayrshire is 2nd 2 none everyone backs the junior side ye don't c enough of that up our way cos were so close 2 the bigot brothers.

FTOF

Mon the papers

You're kidding yourself on if you really believe that.

Far more people in Ayrshire support one or other of the OF than any of the Junior sides (or native Senior sides for than matter). 

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Tayport did it in 2003. They often seem to get forgotten when people talk about the great sides, but in 4 seasons from 2002-03 to 2005-06 they won the Junior Cup twice and were runners up once, and won the East Superleague twice and were runners up the other two years. 

True, they were a very strong side for a time. And kept it up for long enough not to be thought of as a flash in the pan. 

10 hours ago, sponsorsladdie said:

Rose have done the double 3 times.

1965 - Scottish, league, east of Scotland cup, brown cup and Lanark & Lothian cup.

2002 - league, Scottish, f&l, league cup, brown cup & st Michaels cup.

2007 - league, Scottish & league cup.

Well if we are now counting non-superleague era Talbot have done it 8 times

On 6/4/2017 at 21:07, rednblack said:

Brilliant double winners will be buzzing like f**k all summer. Amazing top team one of the best I've seen.

You only seen them a Cumbernauld and boycotted their home game so how do you come up with this conclusion?

6 minutes ago, Dipple burn said:

You only seen them a Cumbernauld and boycotted their home game so how do you come up with this conclusion?

55 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Well if we are now counting non-superleague era Talbot have done it 8 times

1948/49 Scottish Cup

1985/86 Scottish Cup, Ayrshire Division One, West of Scotland

1986/87 Scottish Cup, Ayrshire Division One, National Dryborough Cup

1987/88 Scottish Cup, Ayrshire Division One, West of Scotland Cup, Ayrshire Cup,

1990/91 Scottish Cup, Ayrshire Division One, Ayrshire League Cup, Cumnock & Doon Valley Cup

1991/92 Scottish Cup, Ayrshire Division One, Ayrshire District Cup,

2005/06 Scottish Cup, Western Premier League,

2008/09 Scottish Cup

2010/11 Scottish Cup, Ayrshire Cup

2012/13 Scottish Cup, Western Premier League, Evening Times Cup

2014/15 Scottish cup, Western Premier League,

Just in case your looking for legends

Archived