Queen's Park 2017/18

Well we are back to square one bottom of the league 3 points behind albion.  What is Gus playing at. Why make all those changes on saturday when only 1 was required on the right. Why bring Donnelley back he is not the type of player we need in a relegation fight. Stick to the team that you played at East Fife that is what your teams are all about. Trying to put flair players in your team is not what you are about.  Look at last season thats why we done so well. We have never replaced McGeever and McKernon.

Fotheringham for McVey was a disgrace as McVey has been playing well. Fotheringham does not have the legs to protect our defence.  

I am worried the only way is down i thought we had a great chance against Airdrie and blew it.

What do we think needs to be done to give us a fighting chance. Im sorry i am not one of the in Gus we trust camp.

I believe he should be replaced at the end of the season, at least when Gardner was in charge he brought some of our own through and that gave him a chance.

Only thing we do is go begging to spl clubs for development players, why not improve our development team by getting better player in there and giving them a chance not give them a couple of games (magee) then drop them when they make an honest mistake. 

Our under 17s have a good team now  and what happened to the team that Brown, Connelly and Mcpherson played in a couple of years ago. That was meant to be a great group of players but they are nowhere to be seen.  I know Connelly is at Sunderland and Brown left to go to Motherwell as he was never given a proper chance. What happened to the rest.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan Nimmo, PR  video from the states. Nice bit of work by Gus by the looks of this. 

Don’t think game at Airdrie will be added to his highlights reel [emoji85] but
half glass full big mcgeever had a stinker there last year too
Hard to judge after just 2 games but can’t help but feel that other than Cummins none of our other central defensive options Magee Green and now Nimmo are any better than Bryan Wharton who was allowed to leave [emoji849]

2 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Well we are back to square one bottom of the league 3 points behind albion.  What is Gus playing at. Why make all those changes on saturday when only 1 was required on the right. Why bring Donnelley back he is not the type of player we need in a relegation fight. Stick to the team that you played at East Fife that is what your teams are all about. Trying to put flair players in your team is not what you are about.  Look at last season thats why we done so well. We have never replaced McGeever and McKernon.

Fotheringham for McVey was a disgrace as McVey has been playing well. Fotheringham does not have the legs to protect our defence.  

I am worried the only way is down i thought we had a great chance against Airdrie and blew it.

What do we think needs to be done to give us a fighting chance. Im sorry i am not one of the in Gus we trust camp.

I believe he should be replaced at the end of the season, at least when Gardner was in charge he brought some of our own through and that gave him a chance.

Only thing we do is go begging to spl clubs for development players, why not improve our development team by getting better player in there and giving them a chance not give them a couple of games (magee) then drop them when they make an honest mistake. 

Our under 17s have a good team now  and what happened to the team that Brown, Connelly and Mcpherson played in a couple of years ago. That was meant to be a great group of players but they are nowhere to be seen.  I know Connelly is at Sunderland and Brown left to go to Motherwell as he was never given a proper chance. What happened to the rest.

I've commented on the Airdrie match thread, however Gus is going to be here until the end of the season at least so probably best to address any issues then. Folk can call for his head all they want but he's not going anywhere before then. I'm as frustrated as anyone that we can't string two wins in a row this season, last week I really thought we'd turned the corner 

All that said, we're not down yet so may I be so bold to suggest that we unite and get behind them at the games. We've got 10 to go, still to play Albion Rovers, and Forfar( twice) as well as East Fife. We will have opportunities to win games, whether we take them or not is another matter  

3 hours ago, an86 said:

I also long for the days of being plunged to the bottom of League Two under Gardner. At least he gave the young lads a chance. 

We still talk about Robertson, Spittal, Douglas and Shankland as if they are one of our own.  That's what I mean I would rather be developing our than some other teams. Its just my opinion we are all entitled to ours.  Gardner has now developed our young teams now and we have a good group coming thru. What will Gus do with them!!!

5 hours ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Don’t think game at Airdrie will be added to his highlights reel emoji85.png but
half glass full big mcgeever had a stinker there last year too
Hard to judge after just 2 games but can’t help but feel that other than Cummins none of our other central defensive options Magee Green and now Nimmo are any better than Bryan Wharton who was allowed to leave emoji849.png

You know I'm with you on that one Alf. I'd swap 'allowed' for encouraged though. Amazingly he's still on the OS team page. 

1 hour ago, spider1867 said:

We still talk about Robertson, Spittal, Douglas and Shankland as if they are one of our own.  That's what I mean I would rather be developing our than some other teams. Its just my opinion we are all entitled to ours.  Gardner has now developed our young teams now and we have a good group coming thru. What will Gus do with them!!!

We’re not a youth academy, we’re a lower league club trying to achieve as high a position in the league as possible. Gardner had what was probably the most talented group of individuals I’ve seen at QP and underachieved. MacPherson’s hasn’t had anything close to that level of quality and has led us to our highest league finish in a generation after beating our rivals in a playoff final.

You can only bring players in if their good enough, rather than for the sake of it and take speculative punts. A few young players were given their chance in 2013/14 and simply weren’t up to it. It’s also worth remembering that this is a level up from where we usually are. You can get away with blooding a few more youngsters in the league below, where you have more margin for error.

1 minute ago, Smokiejohn said:

Stumbled across the article some may find interesting regarding what players go through .
http://likeaweatherstone.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/hiding-nerves-and-anxiety-in-football.html?m=1

Huge respect to him for opening up about this. An absolute hero of one of the great QP teams and maybe just about the fastest striker I’ve seen at Hampden. Can only wish him all the best for whatever he does in the future.

Good on David Weatherston for putting that out there and hopefully it helps not just other players but folk from all walks of life. Seeing the player we had at the start of his time with Saints and the one after the game he opens with was night and day and it shows you clearly how much things can impact on someone mentally.

Hopefully both writing the blog and moving away from football can help him.

Not a great fan of Gus for may reasons but the way he has alienated many players that have ended up leaving is shocking and will not go unnoticed in the game. Anyway, as has been said, he is not going anywhere till the end of the season so lets get behind the team - negativity from the stands is not helpful!

re Gus.

If I can go back to when Cowboy was manager, I don't remember fans' opinion being so polarised when he was in charge

The 3rd division championship season of 2000 was of course one of the most memorable times to be a QP supporter, he built a team of winners with a good mix of youth and experience. Then we started the 2nd division brilliantly and were at the top for a couple of months. After that though his record as manager was pretty dreadful it has to be said. We plummeted down the table and a terrible slump in the run in saw us going straight back down on goal difference.

The next season was - at the time - the worst in our history, when we finished bottom of the bottom league for the first time ever. Didn't win a game until October.

The following season we didn't fare much better, a run to the semis of the Challenge Cup kind of took the pressure off him and the players, and the by the time Cowboy left for the Morton job during the season we were down near the bottom again.

At no time during his tenure did I hear or read of supporters wanting him sacked ( granted the internet wasn't what it is now), in fact we were all pretty gutted when he left for Morton ( where he ended up winning the league that season) ....or am I remembering this wrongly?

So what's changed in fans' expectations of a QP coach? Is it the fact that not many people wanted Gus to get the job originally so our current form has proven them right when Gus had previously proven them wrong?      

22 hours ago, spider1867 said:

at least when Gardner was in charge he brought some of our own through and that gave him a chance.

17 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Gardner has now developed our young teams now and we have a good group coming thru. What will Gus do with them!!!

Hiya Gardner, hiya pal - is this the managerial equivalent of a sub being told to warm up on the sidelines?

10 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

So what's changed in fans' expectations of a QP coach? Is it the fact that not many people wanted Gus to get the job originally so our current form has proven them right when Gus had previously proven them wrong?      

Think the last part nails it. We had people mumbling about him during the promotion season and they ended up looking ridiculous. We even had people moaning about him during our highest placed finish in a generation. Again, they ended up looking ridiculous.

Now that we’re finally, as inevitably will happen after a season or two up, struggling, they’re taking the opportunity to stick the boot in. For me, it’s completely disrespectful to a guy who has done a phenomenal job after inheriting an absolute train wreck. The very idea of even being in this league when he took over looked a distant and fanciful prospect.

It should come as no surprise, though. Guys who put in a shift, show loyalty, or actually achieve something at the club tend to be the targets of the moaners. Tony Quinn, 15 years a player/coach, involved in two promotions used to get it tight all the time. He could have moved a couple of times and didn’t. Same goes for Sean Burns. 250 appearances, another promotion winner, could have gone and made himself a few extra bob a week on a couple of occasions. Always the first to get pelters. I’ll never understand the mentality and I’m pretty glad of it.

12 hours ago, an86 said:

Same goes for Sean Burns. 250 appearances, another promotion winner, could have gone and made himself a few extra bob a week on a couple of occasions. Always the first to get pelters. I’ll never understand the mentality and I’m pretty glad of it.

I'm starting to think he must have done a shite in Willie Faintheart's cornflakes

15 hours ago, an86 said:

Tony Quinn, 15 years a player/coach, involved in two promotions ........... could have moved a couple of times and didn’t. Same goes for Sean Burns. 250 appearances, another promotion winner, could have gone and made himself a few extra bob a week on a couple of occasions.

Not disagreeing with your sentiments Annie, but your evidence for the above statements is..................?

I'm not in anyway downplaying the contribution that the likes of the aforementioned + Keith Mackenzie, George Crooks, Richard Sinclair and currently Conor McVey make to our teams, but I'm also aware there's a very fine line between players who are good enough to play at a higher level and turn down such moves (like Ross Caven) and those (like Quinn & Burns in my opinion) who perhaps don't get the same level of offers and (unlike Vinnie Berry) choose to stay because it's not really overall any better for them elsewhere.

My theme here is............what makes a QP legend? Is it someone who is good enough to play at a higher level and doesn't (Caven), or others who give great service but their performance levels are varied to say the least? I know there will be some out there who wiil strongly disagree with this, but from my perspective the likes of Mackenzie, Crooks, Sinclair, Quinn & Burns ain't deserving of that status, and Caven (like him or loathe him) is the last one we've had to date.

The bottom line though, to reinforce Annie's point, is that none of the above deserve some of the comments that get made at or during games, although I've no issues whatsoever with any constructive criticism that gets handed out in post match discussions in the pub or on forums such as this.

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

Not disagreeing with your sentiments Annie, but your evidence for the above statements is..................?

Don't know about Burns but I know for a fact that Paul Martin tried to sign Quinn and Sinclair for Albion Rovers.  Neither were interested, and this was back when Sinclair wasn't getting a game at all.

re the definition of legend. It's all relative for me. I would define any QP team that won a championship or promotion as legendary,  given the fact we've only had 6 in our history. Doesn't necessarily make any of the players individual legends ( by your definition)... apart from Caven of course.

There are also those who perform legendary feats, for example David Crawford getting 7 shut outs in a row in promotion season 06/07, a club record . David Galt also probably won't go down in history as a QP legend ( who knows?) but that howitzer at Broadwood will always be a legendary goal. Everyone who was there will never forget it as it also effectively won us the tie, however the other two goals were just as important ( the much maligned club captain taking responsibility and stepping up to score the penalty when nobody else fancied it)

I thought it was pretty well known that Alloa and East Fife were in for Burns after the promotion season. I’m fairly sure he’s on record himself in saying that he’s had offers while at QP.

Went to the 20's match last night v QOS we won 4-0!!  All our young guys were playing with Billy Mortimor  and Lewis Mcgee standing out, with Lewis looking really solid along side the fit again Cammy Foy. Don't have the goalscorers unfortunately too busy talking. It goes without saying we were really up for this, and showed great desire right till the end. However, I think it shocking that no one from the club has posted the result at least and I'm not blaming Ian our photographer, he's just recovering from a heavy cold.

Archived