Queen's Park 2017/18

20 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Afternoon, that's Stephen Craigan just confirmed we've brought in Liam Brown from you guys. What's the general consensus on him?

I would say Well are looking to the future. He's not had that much grass time this year and I'd understand if he felt peeved. He made the Scottish U17 team. He's a clever ball player and has great vision, opens up play very well. At the moment, he's got legs like Bambi so the midfield in L1 was always going to be challenging. But given good coaching and a bit more muscle he could do well and at his very tender age Well will be thinking there's a couple of years to make a good sale from him.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I would say Well are looking to the future. He's not had that much grass time this year and I'd understand if he felt peeved. He made the Scottish U17 team. He's a clever ball player and has great vision, opens up play very well. At the moment, he's got legs like Bambi so the midfield in L1 was always going to be challenging. But given good coaching and a bit more muscle he could do well and at his very tender age Well will be thinking there's a couple of years to make a good sale from him.

Cheers. Yeah that's our model. Going back through the past few seasons Robbie Leitch left for Burnley last season, Ben Hall moved to Brighton, Lee Erwin joined Leeds, Shaun Hutchinson went to Fulham etc. Some played more first team games than others but we're definitely big on creating a pathway from Academy > u20s > First team.

Craigan (and Lasley) have been doing a great job with our 20s Youth Cup winners in 15/16 and semi-finalists last year finishing 5th in the league. That's the group that Brown will be going into. We've seen Chris Cadden make the step up to being a fixture in the first team and the work he's done in terms of the physical side of things has been a big part of that. Allan Campbell also broke into the first team from the u20s last season and to a lesser extent Shea Gordon. In that respect there's definitely a platform for him and having listened to Craigan when interviewed on the MFC channel he's got a clear idea of what players need to do to progress with a lot of focus on strength and conditioning.

From our point of view it's encouraging as one of the big criticisms is that we've generally overlooked the lower leagues in Scotland, though that's mainly a criticism of first team recruitment it's also true of the u20s. Shea Gordon came from Sheffield United while there was another player we lost to injury last pre-season that we'd brought in from Sheffield Wednesday even the emergency loan keeper for the u20s was brought in from Sunderland.

I'm looking forward to seeing Brown play. Your description of him is interesting as he sounds very similar to David Turnbull who's only 17 but Craigan was saying he was keen to get out on loan to get him first team games.

16 hours ago, rednblack said:

Kevin Green

Chris Duff

Luke Whelan

All Rob Roy to queens park. Gus raiding his hometown team emoji4.png

Rabs supporter who works in my office reckons we've won a watch with Duff whom he says was the best player in Junior football last season. He also reckons Green will struggle to make the step up and will end up being loaned back, whilst Whelan has a great work ethic and could make it, but largely depends whether he can overcome being injury prone or not.

Fair assessment?

Rabs supporter who works in my office reckons we've won a watch with Duff whom he says was the best player in Junior football last season. He also reckons Green will struggle to make the step up and will end up being loaned back, whilst Whelan has a great work ethic and could make it, but largely depends whether he can overcome being injury prone or not.

Fair assessment?

Duff on his game is an incredible player to watch. Beats men for fun literally until he is brought down or gets a shot away. He wants to give senior football a go after four years ourselves.

With the right coaching, with Chris applying himself he can for sure be a hit at queens park.

Kevin Green was brilliant for us last season played every minute of every game. Brilliant junior player, not to sure about league one but definitely worth a punt for queens park. Both really nice and wish them well.

Heard our midfielder Luke Whelan is also going, he was queens park youth and is now 23 or 24 was bit shocked at this good tidy player but didn't think he was league one level. More glad we kept ex queens park Shaun Fraser. Good boy though Luke and hope he does well also!

Don't remember Luke being particularly injury prone. Would take all three back in a heart beat.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Trialists possibly? We'll have played two of the Petrofred ties by then.

Would expect a mix of both. However, the first team will also be playing games. 

Archived